• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fact I'd say the difference between the two is about equal in each format.
Was just about to say that. Smith and Kohli are about as far ahead of the rest in tests and ODI's respectively that I can remember. I am early 40's, can't think of a more dominant player in either format even Viv, that is how good both are.

TheJediBrah

I know the 4th test has only just finished, but might as well start this one now.

Hopefully a better pitch for this one (can't really be worse I guess).

I guess there are some selection questions for this one:

- Does Bird get another go? I say yes. The only reason he shouldn't is if it's of the utmost importance that Starc plays and I guess he'd have to go instead of Hazlewood or Cummins (assuming they're both ok fitness wise)

- Should Moeen be dropped/rested? Again, I think so. We could even drop him for Foakes or someone if you're dead-set against Crane playing and just use Root/Malan to make up for (and probably no worse than) his bowling.
Bird would only play if 2 of Starc/***/Haze are out, given that they'll probably go with 2 spinners

TNT

Banned
With the series over and playing dead rubbers they should make it that only players that have not played in the first 4 tests can be selected.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was just about to say that. Smith and Kohli are about as far ahead of the rest in tests and ODI's respectively that I can remember. I am early 40's, can't think of a more dominant player in either format even Viv, that is how good both are.
Surely Viv in ODI on account of his strike rate?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's taken 3 wickets in 4 games. You should be able to play on literal roads and have more wickets than that bowling with the wrong arm.
Surely you would drop Woakes instead who has been rank awful for 4 tests and doesn't even have the batting string to his bow.

I just want Lyon to get Ali out again and break the record.

Spikey

the england selectors would be pretty big ****s if they didn't give Crane a debut on his home ground

TNT

Banned
Is it worth playing 5 test series anymore, would Aus be better off if they went with two series every summer even though I'm all for 5 test ashes series.

Spikey

remember when we used to argue who was better out of KW, Root and Smith
everyone except for dermo, Esperance, Justo, Maximas, Riggins, Tec15, TimAngas & watson can suck on these

PS

Would replace TPC with Pujara/Rahane/Bravo

Last edited:

Burgey

In anticipation of the greatest test of the summer, Sydney is tonight putting on a fireworks extravaganza.

Melbourne is doing something too, apparently.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Moeen would've already been dropped if Stokes had been playing, as it's easier to bring Crane in for someone batting eight than someone batting seven, particularly given Woakes hasn't done anything with the bat.

I think he'll come in now anyway though -- they'll just cop the long tail.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Just remember him for his tail end performance with the bat at Trent Bridge, 2013; 98 as I recall.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What is the **** with the Sydney test starting on the 4th? I seem to remember as an 18 year old getting wasted on NYE then watching the Sydney test on new years day. Granted, I may have missed a day though blackout. Is that false memory or are they messing with tradition on the Sydney test now?