• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pretty sure that if you retire hurt, you can come back on when any subsequent wicket falls.
Technically I believe the captain needs to approve, so if it was felt that the player was gaming the system, he could end up retired out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus that’s a heck of a lot of words to lovingly sledge a bloke who’s supposedly a nobody at Test and FC level. Next up, 5000 words and a detailed breakdown of ‘Taibu’s Test’ in Dhaka, the definitive account of a bloke who scored 1/5 of his total Test runs in one game.

The Roar + light editing = Cricinfo.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Article sounded like a reaction from the positiveness from the Ch 9 comms over Vince.

Article has some good points but felt a bit overdone (potting Vince even when he scored a County ton) and just looking to reach a word limit.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jesus that’s a heck of a lot of words to lovingly sledge a bloke who’s supposedly a nobody at Test and FC level. Next up, 5000 words and a detailed breakdown of ‘Taibu’s Test’ in Dhaka, the definitive account of a bloke who scored 1/5 of his total Test runs in one game.

The Roar + light editing = Cricinfo.
But dude it's so hip, if you put a one line catchphrase at the end after all that piss it's really cool.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Do you think this hatchet job from Kimber is in good form?
Pretty starts and brainfarts: the story of Vince's career - ESPNcricinfo
I think the bottom line is technically Vince (and for that matter Root) look like they have it all. Up against Smith he (and Root) hasn't got the same game sense and hunger for runs. Tests are won by players who know when to go for shots and when they need to just get through an hour of play. Would Smith have played the shots Root did to Starc with the second new ball and just a few overs to stumps; I don't think so. Talent is fine but test are also a test of mental toughness and understanding of the match situation. Smith has the latter 2 and makes a large part of the difference between the sides.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think most test players in history would fall flat compared to Smith as far as run making goes. Root is still quite young. I am sure he will improve his conversion rate over time. However, he is no Steven Smith, neither are most players who have graced the game.

hazsa19

International Regular
I think most test players in history would fall flat compared to Smith as far as run making goes. Root is still quite young. I am sure he will improve his conversion rate over time. However, he is no Steven Smith, neither are most players who have graced the game.
But of perspective...Smith has 5974 runs from 110 innings compared to Root’s 5560 from 117 innings.

Smith has been imperious in this series and rightly deserves all the plaudits. Root has been wasteful, but i don’t think the kind of numbers Smith is putting up are beyond Root.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Hazaa : Easier said that done.. if you look at last three years, you would see a bigger difference in the two, I am sure ..