• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, 4 - 8 Mar 2021

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They looked mentally a bit gone on Day 1 tbh. They tried hard with the ball, but realistically I don't think they could have put together a defensible total in the third innings even if they'd squeaked out a lead.
Probably not no but India would have at least have to chase something.

As I say 3rd Test was the one.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They looked mentally a bit gone on Day 1 tbh. They tried hard with the ball, but realistically I don't think they could have put together a defensible total in the third innings even if they'd squeaked out a lead.
Yeah, I think there's been an element of the mental approach to batting at times. And that's more accurate than whoever it was referred to some sort of moral failing. Day 1 in the 3rd test is one example, and Day 1 here is another. Recognising that India have been much the better side shouldn't preclude some sort of discussion about where England should have been better.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They had India 140-6 before pant went nuts. It's a much closer test than the final margin makes it seem because if he'd gone cheaply, India could've been chasing a very nervy 150 odd right now.

Pothas

Yeah, I think there's been an element of the mental approach to batting at times. And that's more accurate than whoever it was referred to some sort of moral failing. Day 1 in the 3rd test is one example, and Day 1 here is another. Recognising that India have been much the better side shouldn't preclude some sort of discussion about where England should have been better.
Oh yeah that is definitely part of it but look at Pope this series, he has really tried digging in at times and faced a lot of balls, he has tried to be proactive at others, he has tried really really hard. Just not been up to it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah that is definitely part of it but look at Pope this series, he has really tried digging in at times and faced a lot of balls, he has tried to be proactive at others, he has tried really really hard. Just not been up to it.
Yes, I agree about Pope. His approach to facing the spinners does make me question how he's been advised, but basically he was out of his depth. Hopefully he'll come again, but Lawrence has probably overtaken him in the pecking order at the start of next season unless Stokes is unavailable, when they'll both play.

EDIT
I think I've just seen who you meant by the 'moral' reference. A couple of quality posts there. :laugh:

Pothas

Would hope they would both play anyway. Would be very disappointed if Pope is not in the team for the summer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Would hope they would both play anyway. Would be very disappointed if Pope is not in the team for the summer.
I know we're going off topic, but I'll politely disagree if one of them has to play at 3 in the summer. If Stokes is available, I reckon they're competing for the number 6 slot.

sunilz

International Regular
Scoreline line of current and last IND -ENG series doesn't indicate how close both the series were.

Pothas

I know we're going off topic, but I'll politely disagree if one of them has to play at 3 in the summer. If Stokes is available, I reckon they're competing for the number 6 slot.
Definitely not ideal but long term I think we are better off having Lawrence in the team than Burns.

If only Root could bat 3....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think he's making the point that the scorelines don't tell you that one was a close series and the other was not.
I think it's fair to say that England had their chances in all three tests that they lost in this series. I don't remember that being the case four years ago.

White Ball

State 12th Man
After this series defeat will England have an inquiry like the one after they lost the 2006 Ashes? I want to see plans outlined.

anil1405

International Captain
Team selections from England were a bit baffling. The team for 4th test would've been better suited for 3rd test and vice versa.

Playing for the spin, especially to Axar who doesnt spin the ball much was surprising. I don't know if I have seen so many overseas batsmen get out to straight deliveries as they have this series.

I know players wellbeing was given a priority but Moeen's services would've been pretty handy in Ahmedabad.

Shri

Mr. Glass
wonder if shami won't play the wtc final given how he'll be out of fc match practice

siraj is a nice enough replacement i guess