• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, 4 - 8 Mar 2021

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thank heavens for the extended batting, good selection strategy in these circumstances. Need the ballast.

Gnske

Looked like an inside edge but it ended up being a deflection from one pad to the other. Strange one.
It certainly looked like the deflection of every inside edge I've ever seen, but thankfully the machine showed that gap perfectly.

Good thing too, this can't end quickly enough.

Pothas

It's a really shame we found those extra six runs in the first innings. Seven consecutive scores under 200 would have been something to treasure.

For some reason, I've found this series more annoying than the 4-0 outcome last time we were here. Maybe it's the hope after winning the first test. But I think it's more the incessant hopelessness of our batting in every single innings in the last three tests. iirc at least we managed to post some sort of score in the first innings four years ago.
Yeah this has definitely been more embarrassing. Hard to think of many worse defeats than these last 3. Strange winter, have won 3 matches but come out of it in classic England are terrible abroad fashion.

We should play two match series like New Zealand, would come out of this with a fantastic 1-1 draw.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Chucked the towel in, haven't we?

Hate to see it. Worst thing in sport.
Agreed. Crawley seems to have learnt nothing from playing on these pitches all winter, Fatty just gave catching practice, and Pope has learnt nothing from the previous three tests. Sibley was unlucky tbf and Stokes was probably knackered. Hard to be harsh on Root after his performances in the first three tests of the winter, but he's barely made a score in the last three tests. Understandable that captaining this crock of ****e would take it out of you though.

social

I have been critical of a couple of the pitches in this series but England can’t blame their position on this one

Odd ball does a bit but pretty typical Indian track imo

Gnske

Pope reminds me of Eric Stoltz, prime to be replaced by a far better shaker and mover.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't call Pope "gangly", tbf. Pretty compact build.

"Doofus" I'll allow.
What do you make of Pope's excessive crouching against the spinners? In the first test, the commentators were saying it was the latest thing from the coaching staff, but I do wonder whether it's buggered up his natural game. He's better than what we've seen in this series imo.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
What do you make of Pope's excessive crouching against the spinners? In the first test, the commentators were saying it was the latest thing from the coaching staff, but I do wonder whether it's buggered up his natural game. He's better than what we've seen in this series imo.
I honestly thought he was going to be something special when he first appeared. Possibly still could be.

social

My humble opinion of modern batting coaching is that most haven’t got a fkn clue

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have been critical of a couple of the pitches in this series but England can’t blame their position on this one

Odd ball does a bit but pretty typical Indian track imo
Yup. This one is on us.

I'm not necessarily suggesting any chicanery in the prep for the last two decks, but even if there was I think this performance shows it definitely wasn't needed.