• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This massive chip on your shoulder you clearly have about Australia and what you perceive as it's "cricketing culture" seems to be getting in the way of you understanding concepts
No chip. Just found the way cricket is played there obscene. That's an opinion. But hey, my belief that hard cricket is mental toughness and effort over calling people ****s and insinuating what their mother gets up to is again only an opinion. And that was only my U14 team.

And Spark I didn't say anyone's pissing on Phil Hughes' grave. What I would say is that I find it disturbing that when one of your team-mates died by a bouncer, you seem to revel in chest-beating in the media about how they're going to be bowled, at tail-enders in the most part too. Just bowl the ****ing thing, no warning or dick swinging in the press needs to be offered. Because if someone gets hit again badly and you're in print saying we're going after Jimmy Anderson with his average of 10 and 10 runs all series, to me it's a horrible look for cricket. Honestly, if you're 140km plus, you don't need to prewarn someone to get them on the back foot. If you do, you're just dick swinging as I say.

Gob

International Coach
No chip. Just found the way cricket is played there obscene. That's an opinion. But hey, my belief that hard cricket is mental toughness and effort over calling people ****s and insinuating what their mother gets up to is again only an opinion. And that was only my U14 team.

And Spark I didn't say anyone's pissing on Phil Hughes' grave. What I would say is that I find it disturbing that when one of your team-mates died by a bouncer, you seem to revel in chest-beating in the media about how they're going to be bowled, at tail-enders in the most part too. Just bowl the ****ing thing, no warning or dick swinging in the press needs to be offered. Because if someone gets hit again badly and you're in print saying we're going after Jimmy Anderson with his average of 10 and 10 runs all series, to me it's a horrible look for cricket. Honestly, if you're 140km plus, you don't need to prewarn someone to get them on the back foot. If you do, you're just dick swinging as I say.
You do realize that every thing they say in the press comes on the back of a question that is being thrown at them by a journo right? How do you ball to english tail Pat? Well we are going to ball short at them because we have quicker bowlers who are good at bowling short and they have a tail that doesn't fancy it and again it all comes down to the optimum way of getting the tail out no other motive. I think they over did it at times but if the reasons that being anything other than them believing it'll be only a matter of time before one pops up,i'd be very surprised.

Also since you've mentioned it in a previous post do you think its ok to bowl short to Anderson with the risk of hurting him if it was the final over the match with Aust needing one wicket to win?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's all in your imagination. This "macho Australian cricket culture" is really not as existent as you think it is. It has some basis in fact but it's more a media creation and proliferation than anything.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They all learn it in grade cricket apparently. I've read a number of interviews by English guys who go out there like Mason Crane and play for Gordon and these other grade clubs and it is a complete culture shock, the level of abuse being pelted around. I read an interview with one recently, Matt Critchley who plays for Derbyshire as I recall, who said his own team mates were even sledging him (that is in this week's Cricket Paper actually).

TNT

Banned
Merry Christmas to all the England players and families, hostilities will resume tomorrow but for now I hope they have a great Christmas and enjoy their time in Australia.

For all the pommie posters hope your day goes well and you and your families have a safe and happy day.

TheJediBrah

They all learn it in grade cricket apparently. I've read a number of interviews by English guys who go out there like Mason Crane and play for Gordon and these other grade clubs and it is a complete culture shock, the level of abuse being pelted around. I read an interview with one recently, Matt Critchley who plays for Derbyshire as I recall, who said his own team mates were even sledging him (that is in this week's Cricket Paper actually).
That's probably a pretty fair assessment actually. It's definitely a lot worse in Grade cricket than local cricket. You couldn't find nicer blokes than those in local cricket in Australia.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The case and example of why New Zealand can never be a great nation.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
If Stuart Broad gets hit and seriously injured by a bouncer mid innings so be it. Not ideal but is a part of the game. But if Anderson hadve first ball in a Test already decided, I'd wager you there would be a significant amount of vitriol.
Um, why? Broad can't bat now. They're both tailenders and I can't see the difference myself

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Um, why? Broad can't bat now. They're both tailenders and I can't see the difference myself
He was injured though, so I think Steve is actually right. Bouncers are just ****. Look what Varun Aaron did to him, turned him into a mewling *****cat with the wood.

I think members of this forum ought to ask themselves, what has the bouncer ever done for cricket really?

Daemon

People forgetting the Ashes is a series. The whole 'test was over' argument might not apply if Cummins simply wanted to scar Anderson and get Anderson to bowl short in return.

Of course that's extremely unlikely and Cummins was probably just being a bully.

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't have a problem with bouncers. In fact there's a guy from my team called Neil Wagner who bowls them all the time. Doesn't chirp about it pre match, just bowls them to get guys out.

If Stuart Broad gets hit and seriously injured by a bouncer mid innings so be it. Not ideal but is a part of the game. But if Anderson hadve first ball in a Test already decided, I'd wager you there would be a significant amount of vitriol. It was unnecessary, as is a lot of the BS bluster out of the Australian side. But hey it's a culture I get it, I lived and played there. And I think it's moronic and much happier with how my side goes about it.

I just don't think there has to be so much emphasis on the first syllable when it comes to playing for your 'country' in Australia.
Ok I see. When your guy bowls them then you have no problem with them. If someone gets seriously injured by one you still have no problem. But when Australia bowls them you scream your **** off like an air raid siren. And whats the difference? - muh sledging. Its a **** of an argument. Especially when you consider the puerile crap coming from your crowds whenever we tour there. But let me guess that abuse is ok with you because its done by proxy. Look, you don't like Australia. That's ok - we think you guys are a pack of flogs too. What sickens is the cheap moralising to cover the expression of that dislike for Australia. And you're not above abusing the memory of a deceased cricketer either. You need to shut up now.

You Aussies are ****ed......after England's first innings in Adelaide you were all spewing about the amount short stuff to the English tail. Now that (for whatever ever reason) this has become a "thing" look at you defending the tactics. **** off allready.
It isn't January yet. **** off is that way. :boat:

Daemon

Some trash from both sides here.

Each country needs their version of RANDI imo. Although I suppose the Ashes subbie is where people are generally less objective about things.

flibbertyjibber

What a ****, we are giving a debut to Curran and I am excited about him. If we bowl first I will have to stay up to watch. Curse you England.

Will be bed at lunch though as may go to Wigan tomorrow for the top of the table clash, that or stay and watch the great racing. See how hungover/tired I am in morning.