• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dont forget justin langer
He really seems to have Lehmann's ear, in a way that no other state coach does. The Marsh selections, the Renshaw dropping, the Bancroft selection all are largely through the Langer influence.

I bet it's nice for the players to have their coach go out to bat for them all the time.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He really seems to have Lehmann's ear, in a way that no other state coach does. The Marsh selections, the Renshaw dropping, the Bancroft selection all are largely through the Langer influence.

I bet it's nice for the players to have their coach go out to bat for them all the time.
tbf the Renshaw dropping and Bancroft selection should have just been common sense

It's measured at release anyway so the pitch doesn't matter
I think the point he is making was that the speed gun was dodgy

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
When I've heard Langer talk on tv he hasn't come across very well
but I have heard him talk at length on radio, when they have given him plenty of time and sounded like he was fairly normal

Last edited:

stephen

tbf the Renshaw dropping and Bancroft selection should have just been common sense.
Not really. The Bancroft selection was on the back of basically two shield games. Yes his performance was good but it was not Hayden or Hussey levels of beating down the door for a long period of time.

In the past Renshaw would have been given a much longer run in the side like S Waugh.

Let's look at the batting brought in after Hobart:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Ferguson
Nevill

Became

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Maddinson
Wade

Became

Warner
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
S Marsh
M Marsh
Paine

Exactly one year later. And in that time we've also picked and dropped Maxwell as well.

That's simply not good enough. Renshaw was in a minor form slump that had run for four tests. Maxwell never was in a form slump. Maddinson never should have been picked. Handscomb got found out.

Honestly the selection has been atrocious for quite some time now.

Are we going to drop Bancroft after the fourth test if he fails to get to 50 again?

How long does M Marsh get in the side to prove he can average more than 25 long term?

It's a huge indictment on the selectors that we've cycled through 7 batsmen in a year. That's not breeding stability, team culture or long term success. That's telling players that they need to perform at exactly the right time or have the surname "Marsh" in order to be picked. Because the selectors are going to ignore your long term performance the second you have a couple of bad tests.

I mean Renshaw had 4 ordinary tests and got dropped. M Marsh has had 21 bad tests and got picked. Maxwell gets picked in the toughest conditions for Aussie batsmen, makes a hundred and gets dropped after 3 tests.

S Marsh gets picked in India, makes 2 half centuries and a strong of single figures, gets rightly dropped for Bangladesh and then gets picked for the Australian summer based on a couple of half centuries and his white ball form.

The selection is a sham.

My money is on us seeing a minimum of two or three changes in the batting lineup before next summer. S Marsh and M Marsh will get injured or dropped, Bancroft will get dropped and we'll continue with our revolving door policy for batsmen who aren't Smooth or Warner. Khawaja can count himself fortunate that we don't have any subcontinent tours coming up.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. The Bancroft selection was on the back of basically two shield games. Yes his performance was good but it was not Hayden or Hussey levels of beating down the door for a long period of time.

In the past Renshaw would have been given a much longer run in the side like S Waugh.

Let's look at the batting brought in after Hobart:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Ferguson
Nevill

Became

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Maddinson
Wade

Became

Warner
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
S Marsh
M Marsh
Paine

Exactly one year later. And in that time we've also picked and dropped Maxwell as well.

That's simply not good enough. Renshaw was in a minor form slump that had run for four tests. Maxwell never was in a form slump. Maddinson never should have been picked. Handscomb got found out.

Honestly the selection has been atrocious for quite some time now.

Are we going to drop Bancroft after the fourth test if he fails to get to 50 again?

How long does M Marsh get in the side to prove he can average more than 25 long term?

It's a huge indictment on the selectors that we've cycled through 7 batsmen in a year. That's not breeding stability, team culture or long term success. That's telling players that they need to perform at exactly the right time or have the surname "Marsh" in order to be picked. Because the selectors are going to ignore your long term performance the second you have a couple of bad tests.

I mean Renshaw had 4 ordinary tests and got dropped. M Marsh has had 21 bad tests and got picked. Maxwell gets picked in the toughest conditions for Aussie batsmen, makes a hundred and gets dropped after 3 tests.

S Marsh gets picked in India, makes 2 half centuries and a strong of single figures, gets rightly dropped for Bangladesh and then gets picked for the Australian summer based on a couple of half centuries and his white ball form.

The selection is a sham.

My money is on us seeing a minimum of two or three changes in the batting lineup before next summer. S Marsh and M Marsh will get injured or dropped, Bancroft will get dropped and we'll continue with our revolving door policy for batsmen who aren't Smooth or Warner. Khawaja can count himself fortunate that we don't have any subcontinent tours coming up.
The selection this summer has been fine. I don't know why people keep ignoring how atrocious Renshaw's form was but they keep doing it. You can't just ignore form completely because someone is the incumbent. Selecting Renshaw would have been insane.

Shaun Marsh and to a lesser extent Tim Paine have been vindicated as solid selections. Jury's still out on Mitch Marsh.

stephen

Picking Shaun Marsh was the absolute wrong call. The selectors got lucky.

Mitch Marsh is by far a worse call than that. He has shown nothing this season to suggest he is test match quality.

Even when he has scored runs with the bat he's been outshone. In no game has he scored the most runs this season, including when he made his 140. Worse still, all of his runs have come on roads where 400+ scores have been made.

I want M Marsh to come good but he's shown nothing to suggest that he will. I'd he scores a ton he'll be the 100:1 Longshot that somehow upsets the favourites.

stephen

Renshaw's Shield form is much more than "a minor form slump".
I disagree. He was still spending time in the middle. If he was making 13 (26) then I think you'd be right. He was occupying the crease but he was just having trouble scoring.

And Bancroft has hardly justified his selection so far. He's been a bunny who gets out playing loosely outside off. I'd be surprised if he makes many runs in the coming tests. In 4 innings he's past 10 once.

He had two good shield games, one if which was on a Perth road where he was out-batted by Weatherald.

Bancroft has been mediocre for a long time, strings together two shield games and is picked over the incumbent who has had a small dip in form. He'll be out the revolving door soon, probably for Burns or Weatherald.

adub

International Captain
No the selections have been ****.

Sure Marsh has done a typical SMarsh and looked great and scored in his first few games back in the side. Time will tell if he is no longer the SMarsh that will revert to single figure scores for the rest of the series, but the ****'s 34 FFS. Maxwell was the incumbent, and his Shield form was at least as good as SMarsh and his test form wasn't so bloody dire that he got dropped for Bangladesh. 259 @ 37 isn't world beating by any means, but it's not that bad for an Australian bat in the SC and it **** all over what Smarsh was doing at the same time. And at 29 Maxwell at least had the prospect of being a long term solution. ****ing diabolic decision.

Nothing can make pulling the third string keeper out of the weakest Shield team and handing them the gloves for a Test series a good selection. It completely undermines any idea that performance matters. Sure Paine has been tidy enough and he made a handy 50 in Adelaide, but his performance hasn't been that good that you can say it was an inspired decision and he has clearly done better than say Nev would have. It's simply not true. It was a 'oh look how funky we can be' selection. At best it has made a mockery of the Shield, it could so easily have blown up in our faces.

In hindsight Renshaw's dropping looks good, but how much of his troubles are due to bull**** surrounding his place when he should have gone into the summer secure? Bankers made a timely double, but he's run hot and cold for a fair while now. Nothing he's done so far really indicates that he isn't going to soon be out on his arse like so many selections before.

If Handscomb gets dropped then all of the new faces (and Wade) that were supposed to be the building for the future selections from Hobart will have been axed on top of Ferguson who copped the axe after debuting the previous test, Cartwright who's been picked and dropped twice, Maxwell who got picked and dropped after 4 SC tests, Usman who's been dropped and picked and dropped and picked, Smarsh who got picked and dropped and picked, and MMarsh who got dropped last Nov then picked and got an injury that saved him from being dropped and now looks like being picked again. It's a ****ing circus. We make the Pommy selectors in 89 look consistent.

Spark

Global Moderator
I disagree. He was still spending time in the middle. If he was making 13 (26) then I think you'd be right. He was occupying the crease but he was just having trouble scoring.

And Bancroft has hardly justified his selection so far. He's been a bunny who gets out playing loosely outside off. I'd be surprised if he makes many runs in the coming tests. In 4 innings he's past 10 once.

He had two good shield games, one if which was on a Perth road where he was out-batted by Weatherald.

Bancroft has been mediocre for a long time, strings together two shield games and is picked over the incumbent who has had a small dip in form. He'll be out the revolving door soon, probably for Burns or Weatherald.
Balls faced at Shield level means almost nothing. You gotta score runs.

stephen

Looking back over Renshaw's record at test level, I keep talking about him having 4 poor tests but he still scored a 44 in Ranchi and 45 in Dhaka, the latter of which was the top score for the entire team in that innings.

So really it was just Dharmasala and Chittagong where he was actually poor.

It wouldn't surprise me if Renshaw had a great second half of his shield season.

adub

International Captain
Oh yeah I forgot all about Burns' back in and out in one test.

I know our shield ranks aren't brimming with champions, but FFS pick the guys that are showing the most consistency over a solid period and then stick with them. Instead they pick a **** like Mitchell Marsh who has a batting record that makes him look like a handy no.8 at best and expect him to be a saviour @6. They stick with that **** for 20 ****ing tests when he should never have got a first, but players with way more consistent performances are burnt up and discarded.

adub

International Captain
There wasn't much wrong with Renshaw in India. He never should have had his position questioned simply because he didn't have a great time of it in Bangladesh.

stephen

I completely forgot about Cartwright. That makes 8 batsmen in the revolving door of the last 12 months, 9 if we count Ferguson (I didn't count him because I was only counting from after Hobart) who was treated utterly shamefully by the selectors.

Is it any wonder the team is prone to collapses when our batting lineup isn't the same for three matches in a row?