• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah all of the Eden Gardens, Wankhede and Chepauk have become very "functional and modern" than retain any particular individual aesthetic since their redevelopments but havingn been in both Wankhede and Chepauk, I can at least tell you the facilities for spectators and the access to those have improved tremendously due to that. They try the best they can, with the steel ring top in Wankhede and the spire like thing on the top of the stands at Chepauk etc. but ultimately, it is not quite the unique look like the earlier versions. In Chepauk, for instance, only the pavilion stand has not been redeveloped but they have attempted to paint over the brown with white to keep up the color aesthetic, I can see from these two tests.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Thoughts on Moeen? Seems like he was thrown under the bus by Root a bit after the match - worth looking at his full quotes if you haven't yet but here is one.

“With Moeen it wasn’t more asking if he wanted to stay, it was a decision he had chosen. Of course we wanted as many players available for as long as possible, but you also want them to be very comfortable here.

Much has been made of the use of the word chosen but I think the context around it is more worrying. If it wasn't more about asking him to stay then why has it been presented differently to Stokes/Archer/Bairstow/Buttler/Wood/Curran (all multiformat players who got a rest at some point). Also the suggestion he wasn't comfortable when he is only taking the same choice afforded to other players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thoughts on Moeen? Seems like he was thrown under the bus by Root a bit after the match - worth looking at his full quotes if you haven't yet but here is one.

“With Moeen it wasn’t more asking if he wanted to stay, it was a decision he had chosen. Of course we wanted as many players available for as long as possible, but you also want them to be very comfortable here.

Much has been made of the use of the word chosen but I think the context around it is more worrying. If it wasn't more about asking him to stay then why has it been presented differently to Stokes/Archer/Bairstow/Buttler/Wood/Curran (all multiformat players who got a rest at some point). Also the suggestion he wasn't comfortable when he is only taking the same choice afforded to other players.
Well, to be fair, the others were leaving when they were winning. This is the first test they have lost in this trip and now they are panicking and asking him to stay back. I understand the deal offered was that he can go be home for the LO leg of this tour, which makes sense to an extent from the ECB perspective, but Moeen probably wants to play the T20s to get himself ready for the IPL as that is the bigger payday for him and given his age, it makes sense he is looking at maximizing his earning opportunities.

I suppose it may have been a win-win for all concerned if he hung around till the auction and if he got picked for a good salary, then he could have just played the tests and then gone home for the LO leg and come back fresh for the IPL. It sounds ideal but we do not know what the family situation for Moeen is and I am not comfortable commenting about these things when that can the clinching factor.

D

Deleted member 38150

Sounds like a celebration of being able to attend a cricket match for the first time in ages. I approve.
In general, the Chennai fans are well aware of various stats and milestones.
Even in my school days, one of the pass times was to tell each other different stats about recent old matches and see who comes up with a stat that no one else knows :) Those days, there was no simple google search to find out (or cricinfo mind you) I mean the 90's. So I used to read the news papers every nook and corner to get as much info as I can.. Feels like a long time ago in this instant info era :)

D

Deleted member 38150

In general, the Chennai fans are well aware of various stats and milestones of the game and appreciate a good play by anyone (regardless of the team they belong to) Even in my school days, one of the pass times was to tell each other different stats about recent old matches and see who comes up with a stat that no one else knows :) Those days, there was no simple google search to find out (or cricinfo mind you) I mean the 90's. So I used to read the news papers every nook and corner to get as much info as I can.. Feels like a long time ago in this instant info era :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
In general, the Chennai fans are well aware of various stats and milestones.
Even in my school days, one of the pass times was to tell each other different stats about recent old matches and see who comes up with a stat that no one else knows :) Those days, there was no simple google search to find out (or cricinfo mind you) I mean the 90's. So I used to read the news papers every nook and corner to get as much info as I can.. Feels like a long time ago in this instant info era :)
i won a cricket trivia quiz in 11th grade after it went to a tiebreaker

the winning question was "who was the south african wicket keeper before mark boucher"

dave richardson was the answer and i won a plastic brown water bottle

D

Deleted member 38150

i won a cricket trivia quiz in 11th grade after it went to a tiebreaker

the winning question was "who was the south african wicket keeper before mark boucher"

dave richardson was the answer and i won a plastic brown water bottle
The 90's SA team was formidable.. I remember they had a winning streak of 32 ODI or something (a record then).. Lance klusener was the first formidable finisher who won so many games for SA from impossible positions.. wonder what he is doing now these days..

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Well, to be fair, the others were leaving when they were winning. This is the first test they have lost in this trip and now they are panicking and asking him to stay back. I understand the deal offered was that he can go be home for the LO leg of this tour, which makes sense to an extent from the ECB perspective, but Moeen probably wants to play the T20s to get himself ready for the IPL as that is the bigger payday for him and given his age, it makes sense he is looking at maximizing his earning opportunities.

I suppose it may have been a win-win for all concerned if he hung around till the auction and if he got picked for a good salary, then he could have just played the tests and then gone home for the LO leg and come back fresh for the IPL. It sounds ideal but we do not know what the family situation for Moeen is and I am not comfortable commenting about these things when that can the clinching factor.
It was a pre-agreed departure and Root has since apologised but I don't think them losing a Test should change things - some have questioned the rotation as a policy but once you decided to rotate to prevent bubble fatigue to try and go against that and then portray a misleading picture of why Moeen is going back home isn't a good look in my view. Moeen already gets a lot of flak from some so to paint a picture that opens him up to more criticism isn't great from the England setup in my view.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah all of the Eden Gardens, ****hede and Chepauk have become very "functional and modern" than retain any particular individual aesthetic since their redevelopments but havingn been in both ****hede and Chepauk, I can at least tell you the facilities for spectators and the access to those have improved tremendously due to that. They try the best they can, with the steel ring top in ****hede and the spire like thing on the top of the stands at Chepauk etc. but ultimately, it is not quite the unique look like the earlier versions. In Chepauk, for instance, only the pavilion stand has not been redeveloped but they have attempted to paint over the brown with white to keep up the color aesthetic, I can see from these two tests.
Chepauk looks nice with the space between the stands now. Makes it look unique and gives the players much needed relief.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Chepauk looks nice with the space between the stands now. Makes it look unique and gives the players much needed relief.
Yeah the sea breeze seems to help with the reverse too. The earlier Chepauk was an absolute cauldron and no space for the sea breeze to come in. This is definitely a welcome change, and you can feel the breeze after 2 PM or so even in the stands. Its awesome.