• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah no argument at all that batting was a bit of a lottery here which was NOT the case in Chennai in the 2nd test. I think Athlai hit the nail on the head in the other thread. This was a bad pitch but given the mitigating circumstances and this being the first game here, maybe a slap on the wrist instead of a proper punishment is on the cards.
Yeah I think realistically you aren’t gonna build the worlds biggest ground then bar it from hosting internationals

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I think realistically you aren’t gonna build the worlds biggest ground then bar it from hosting internationals
But even if it were not so big and so good, I would say I would give more leeway to a new ground and groundsman than to an established one. It is a hard thing to get right, pitches and even the slightest mistake combined with other factors can make you look very very bad. Pretty thankless job, tbh.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the highlights of Bairstow's fantastic innings. People who I think would have done a better job include a) Chris Martin and b) me.

Surely he won't be playing test cricket again. Surely...

Victor Ian

International Coach
Just on pitches, can a pitch that starts with spin friendly conditions turn benign and flatten out as a seeming pitches can? Or is it a given that spin is aided more and more as the game progresses?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If a pitch starts out damp it can get better, especially after rolling. I know there was an example of this in India a few years ago, though I forget when. It was more of a feature of the uncovered wicket days though - a wet pitch can flatten out remarkably if rolled when it is drying.

Don't think it really happens with drier pitches, though think there's been some that have slowed up and at least made defence easier.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If a pitch starts out damp it can get better, especially after rolling. I know there was an example of this in India a few years ago, though I forget when. It was more of a feature of the uncovered wicket days though - a wet pitch can flatten out remarkably if rolled when it is drying.

Don't think it really happens with drier pitches, though think there's been some that have slowed up and at least made defence easier.
Yeah Mohali in 1998 against NZ is the example of the former and Ranchi in 2017 is an example of the latter.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Shambles from England, Picked the wrong team. Archer, Broad, Anderson wasnt really needed at all for the test. Having Archer at number 8 is a joke and something that should not happen again. We really need to pick at least 2 spinners for the 4th test. Moeen shouldnt have been sent home, we need to get out of this idea that Anderson/Broad can get us out of trouble all the time with the ball.

India wasnt all that great, but obviously did more then enough in the 2 days.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Having Archer at number 8 is a joke and something that should not happen again.
It felt uncharacteristic of England, who I've for so long associated with deep batting line-ups.

I really wonder what is the story behind Broad's complete regression of batting ability - I remember talks of him batting at seven for England!

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yep.. the spin bowling version of Anderson knocking the poles of Gill and Rahane in the first test. But this being the same batsman getting beaten the same way even though one was around the wicket and one was over the wicket, is just awesome. :wub:
Yeah the absolute class of Ashwin in full glory.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
these sort of highlights lack context. It looks like Pope just missed straight balls, but really it's because so many balls before that spun at him. He didn't do as badly as this video suggests.
Yes, therein lies the mastery.

Ashwin precisely knows to the decimal degree how much each of his delivery will turn and to the nanometer where it would pitch. Whereas Axar was basically sending out 95 km darts not knowing in the slightest whether it will spin or not himself.