• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Harmison`s stats after two matches - one wicket @ 288 at a strike-rate of 427.

Oh my goodness. :laugh:

How amazing has Clark been this series? So glad he has proved everyone wrong, and he`s done it quietly and admirably. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Oh dear. I feel sick.

One of the worst England days ever. On a par with Multan day 5 last year & Trinidad Day 4 in 1994 (46ao). Makes you curse the day you ever took an interest in the game.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A Magnificent day's test cricket from Australia. Today they showed us all why they are without a shadow of a doubt why they are the no.1 team in the world. The Never say die attitude once again come to the fore.

England lost the unloseable, and imo the catalyst was a negative frame of mind whilst batting. Instead of looking to keep the runs ticking over, they seemed to be more focused on simply surviving, something which gave the phsycological advantage to Australia's bowlers, and in the end was the downfall of Englands strong position.

Warne & Lee bowled brilliantly this morning, and thoroughly deserved every wicket, despite the fact that in all honesty the Strauss decision was a shocker. Lee bowled without a doubt his best spell of the series, and in the process sure himself a place in perth.

Hayden continued his run of starts, and will want to make big runs in the next 2 tests or he might well find himself on the bench if Australia has one the series by Sydney, with Jaques coming in to replace him. That being said, he has looked in good touch, but he really needs to continue on with 1 of those starts.

Ponting & Hussey were once again simply magnificent!!!! They steadied the ship after two early wickets, whilst at the same time kept the scorecard ticking over at more than the required rate. I was a touch dissappointed to see Ponting to go just 1 run short of yet another well earned Half Century.

Clarke proved this test match that he has indeed learnt his lesson, and matured as a batsmen. I don't think he'd left as many balls go as he did in this match in all of his previous test innings. The old Clarke would've been tempted and slashed at 1 and got caught behind, but the new Clarke looked a class act, and showed all the hallmarks as to why he's touted as 1 of the future stars of Australian cricket.

Martyn did himself no favours for the Perth test match, with another splendid innings of 4. If Watson is fit, he surely must come into the team. Whilst it will be said that we should go into Perth with an unchanged line-up due to the win etc. people seem to forget that Michael Clarke & Simon Katich suffered that exact same fate during the West Indies series last summer when they were dropped from a winning side.

From an England perspective, they can take away quite a few positives from Collingwood, Hoggard & Pietersen's batting & bowling, however, the selectors must surely have learnt that at least 1(preferably 2) of Anderson, Harmison & Giles MUST go if they want to take 20 Australia wickets.

Collingwood, Hoggard, Clarke & even Hussey could probably count themselves unlucky not to have received the MOTM award, but no-one could deny that Pontings 1st innings century put Australia back in the match. If the match had petered out to a draw, i would've given it equally to Hoggard & Collingwood, but simply because Australia won, the man with the biggest impact in that win Must take it.

Not only did he score that century, but for the most part, his captaincy was once again very good, and his second innings dig helped steady the ship.

All in all, a brilliant 5 days of cricket, and bring on Perth :D

Laurrz

International Debutant
BingLeeElectric said:
Superb post.

Not the first time either. Your wisdom is not going unnoticed. :)
eek

i dont wanna take credit...it was cricinfo haha

sorry my bad..should've stated

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Collingwood. Can bat that bloke. Really showed grit and determination in staying out there even if everyone else wanted to have a go at wide balls outside off.

Craig

World Traveller
BingLeeElectric said:
Don't be ridiculous, "farcical?" that would be if Giles got it.

He captained very well today for a start. Set good fields and saw his team through the majority of the chase with a sterling captains knock. Shame his dismissal was rather tame as he looked steady and was picking off the singles superbly.

As well as getting them out of a jam in the first innings with another superb century under immense pressure to set up a game.

The man was rock solid.
And did you not read my post before?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nnanden said:

Oh my goodness. :laugh:
Never seen a more overrated and overhyped player I reckon. Even more so than Pathan.

Its actually damn annoying. Someone that has all the physical attributes of a great fast bowler (height, bounce, pace) is just so crap.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
That Hussey bloke can bat. Just looks so damn good at the wicket, made both Ponting and Clarke look ordinary while they were contributing very nicely to the chase.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nnanden said:
I swear I just read a CricInfo article with that in it.

Can`t believe everyone is having a go at Collingwood. Why not have a go at Cook, Pietersen, Bell, Flintoff or Jones for not staying there? Collingwood wasn`t perfect, but a damn sight better than the majority of his team-mates. How embarassing for you.
I wasn't so much having a go at Collingwood as pointing out that Ponting was more deserving of MOTM. I think Collingwood let himself get outsmarted by Ponting once Punter moved the field out to allow him an easy single. A lot of overs, Collingwood took it first ball, then was stuck off-strike for the next five, before he again took a quick single and spent the next 5 balls off strike, before...

It made it rather to easy for the Aussies to contain the English to little over 1 an over, and placed an undue burden on the junior partners in the last few partnerships.

Before people, some of whom have been ferocious in their criticisms of Ponting as a captain, put Collingwood up for MOTM, they should consider Ponting outwitted him.

That said, Collingwood overall played a fantastic game and has surely cemented his place as a regular in the English XI for some time.

Begs the question, assuming either can come back from their current health problems, are there still spots for Trescothick and Vaughan?

Matteh

Matt79 said:
Begs the question, assuming either can come back from their current health problems, are there still spots for Trescothick and Vaughan?
I'd have thought the first 6 names on the batting lineup were pretty solid. It's the bowling lineup and the WK that needs some work.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Phew, days like these make me soo glad to be a SA fan, even if we can't beat the Aussies either, at least it isn't so soul destroying and we aren't expected to compete..

andyc

Nnanden said:
:laugh:

Even Gillespie went better last year.

But seriously though, what is the point of Giles being in the team? I mean, they say that he can bat, but he was out for a duck today. They say that Monty's a bad fielder, but Giles dropped Ponting on 35, which cost England 107 runs. And then Monty can actually take wickets.

Steulen

International Regular
Nevertheless Fletcher even *after* the match was talking in present tense about Giles being a better choice for his abilities at 8...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Steulen said:
Nevertheless Fletcher even *after* the match was talking in present tense about Giles being a better choice for his abilities at 8...
That's astonishing. Surely they can't name an unchanged lineup for Perth can they?

I think this Test really might have destroyed England. To get outplayed completely and lose in Brisbane was one thing, but to dominate for much of this game, and to compete more than evenly for most of the rest of it and STILL lose is another thing entirely.