• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

ataraxia

International Coach
Let's bat 15 overs into tomorrow. With no rain forecast and struggling for quick runs, the declaration should still be a long way away IMO. Still time for Rachin 303*.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But this looks like declaration batting. Nz might declare at the end of this session.
I think they'll declare about half an hour after tea. Given how good the pitch is, declaring for less than 550 doesn't make much sense. If at that point Rachin is on 280ish, KW might send out a message saying you've got 3 overs tops to get there.

ataraxia

International Coach
Have to say, Phillips' running is incredibly valuable in tests and a breath of fresh air to some degree. Completely destroys fielding sides; if this aggressive play and running were to be sustained it could lead to a very high score.

Massive props to Ravindra and his fitness for somehow keeping up with Phillips too.

Meridio

International Regular
Would think about declaring an hour or so before stumps, don't see much need to declare earlier. Make runs while it's easy - and it's currently very easy. Commentators going on about declaring before tea which is madness.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think they'll declare about half an hour after tea. Given how good the pitch is, declaring for less than 550 doesn't make much sense. If at that point Rachin is on 280ish, KW might send out a message saying you've got 3 overs tops to get there.
Easy to forget (while batting) we live in Southee-town now

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't necessarily think this has been wholly smart batting by NZ in the last hour. Certainly advanced the game, but the weather forecast is great and we're still only in the 5th session.