• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing that excites me about this Mccullum coached england is that the top order are all contributing and played a part in these 2 wins vs nz. England have always been great at home, even with a **** top order (Bar 2021) because of jimmy+broad and meme levels of bat deep in curran, woakes, rashid, ali, etc. Prime example of this was the 4th innings chase buttler and woakes pulled off vs Pakistan or the 2019 series vs india. These wins are different. Sure broad and jimmy are still being bowled and playing a part, but all the batsmen in the lineup bar crawley are contributing, it's not just the root & stokes show + tail hijinks.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The positive cricket revolution for England already happened in 2015, and not just in the one day stuff, the test matches as well. The Lord's test where Buttler and Moeen rescued the first innings and then Stokes hit that fast hundred from behind in the second innings was full of the same kind of commentary we're getting now.

It eventually died because England sometimes lost matches anyway and by the time we hit the South Africa tour in 2019-20 guys like Sibley are being praised for cutting out the crap and going back to basics.

This will ultimately keep happening until a new generation of batsmen come through and actually fix the top order, but until then anything that ends up working will be considered a genius display of tactical acumen, and when they lose it's be terrible mindset and lack of direction and blah.
I mean that 2019-2020 south africa tour was won on the back of positive batting from pope, root, stokes and the tail as much as it was from good old fashion grit from sibley.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mad how both sides were exceptional in the field in the first test and both were diabolical at Trent Bridge. Can't remember such a difference from both sides in back to back games.

Is Trent Bridge now a difficult viewing ground after all the work?
Butch (think it was him, anyway) mentioned that since its refurb TB has a lot of red around the ground.

If so that's pretty village planning.

Groundking

International Debutant
Butch (think it was him, anyway) mentioned that since its refurb TB has a lot of red around the ground.

If so that's pretty village planning.
Meh, TB has nothing on OT for the amount of red around the ground and they don't always field like clowns there.

I think the bad fielding is more likely to be a consequence of just how quick the field was.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Curious about the later point you make. What did McCullum abandon in the final?
He had a slip in whilst Warner was teeing off iirc and then took him out - next ball (or 2 balls later) Warner edged to where the slip was, as the bowling plan worked but McCullum abandoned the aggressive field placement for containment.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Will they call in an allrounder option?

Neesham? Smith? Rippon? McConchie?
Solia for a bolter?

Phillips and Ravindra are both in England and in good form with the bat.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He had a slip in whilst Warner was teeing off iirc and then took him out - next ball (or 2 balls later) Warner edged to where the slip was, as the bowling plan worked but McCullum abandoned the aggressive field placement for containment.
My memory of this was McCullum put in two short covers to try and get Warner out caught on the drive, so not really an abandonment of the aggressive strategy as a change in its tactical expression.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Will they call in an allrounder option?

Neesham? Smith? Rippon? McConchie?
Solia for a bolter?

Phillips and Ravindra are both in England and in good form with the bat.
I read the release. He will rejoin the rest of the team after 5 days of isolation. No replacement player is being sort at this stage.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
My memory of this was McCullum put in two short covers to try and get Warner out caught on the drive, so not really an abandonment of the aggressive strategy as a change in its tactical expression.
Also got to remember this was our first game in Oz (#mcgsobig), so field placements and strategies that may work in NZ may not work here. One thing that changed was setting a target rather than chasing which we had done in many matches, but again no doubt there was a strategy behind that.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Just watching a replay of the third session on Spark. That short ball strategy after tea was painful to watch. Really got Bairstow going.

Stokes' knee looked a real worry. Shades of Crowe hobbling between the wickets when his problems began.

Macewell has tested positive
Insult to injury. He would have been contagious in the dressing room, how many others will come down with it? Ravindra and Phillips might get a game yet!