• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, rant over. Spark could probs crack the Boomer market even more if they could bridge that gap but they're probably not interested, and fair enough, because sky had pretty much a stranglehold for ages and treated their customers like chumps.
I'm not a boomer, but I want my television experience to be easy. Not to have to trawl through multiple apps, the mainstream and some websites just to find something to watch. It's a pain in the arse. I just want (and there's a business idea here for someone) a centralised app with the listings for all of these delivery methods on that will switch to that delivery method when I select it. I don't have enough downtime as it is, and I don't want to piss even a small percentage of it away trawling through different options.

Maybe I'm being too discerning and other people just want to watch any old ****, but I don't believe that either.

RossTaylorsBox

I'm not a boomer, but I want my television experience to be easy. Not to have to trawl through multiple apps, the mainstream and some websites just to find something to watch. It's a pain in the arse. I just want (and there's a business idea here for someone) a centralised app with the listings for all of these delivery methods on that will switch to that delivery method when I select it. I don't have enough downtime as it is, and I don't want to piss even a small percentage of it away trawling through different options.

Maybe I'm being too discerning and other people just want to watch any old ****, but I don't believe that either.
My "Smart" TV has a Home button where you just search for something and it will tell you if Netflix/Amazon etc. have it and then when you select it will just play it through that service. Is this what you're talking about?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah the Samsung ones have that. My own boomer dad bought one with much grumbling about Spark. He's not too bad though - we've taught my parents what a Netflix and Amazon Prime is.

HeathDavisSpeed

My "Smart" TV has a Home button where you just search for something and it will tell you if Netflix/Amazon etc. have it and then when you select it will just play it through that service. Is this what you're talking about?
Hmmm. My smart tv doesn't have this, though it does have a random netflix button on the remote.

Generally, I find that all the things I want to watch aren't on any of these options (e.g. Deutschland 83 was on Amazon, but not 86 or 89)

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Why don't you guys get an android box or fire stick and hook it to the TV. You can control these devices from bluetooth on the cellphone and use TV remote to just turn on and off? Or even better turn on HDMI CEC and control either with one single remote. An android TV or fire stick performs way better than an android TV. Also the options on stand alone android tv or firestick are immense.

In my experience TV don't necessarily have as powerful a processor or the memory that standalone android TV or firestick has. Even a basic model android tv costing like 75 bucks has better processor and memory than a TV. Over the time after many updates the tv will run like a dog. Ideal to use the TV like in the past, just turn on and turn off.

Set up Kodi for android, have all the TV1, prime, spark sport, sky etc on one single app and be done with it. In fact Kodi also has plugins for amazon, netflix etc. One single app to watch everything. You can search with a single search box too on all sources hooked up to Kodi.

We're not used to subscribing to more than one service provider just because it has been monopolized in nz. From the 90s Sky came around and to compete with them I think Saturn tried, Telecom (Spark these days) tried but none could compete. Now we have few competitors otherwise Sky dish was the way to go. In UK cricket is on Sky, BBC and also plenty of cricket on BT sports. Aus has fox sports which generally covers all of cricket. Only down under we are not used to subscribing to more than one source. This has been the case all the while elsewhere.

Last edited:

nzfan

Was listening to Boult on TMS and he made some really valid points. Given the ball was going softer meant they had to hit the deck hard and to do that consistently meant they were physically tested. The ball was definitely going soft but another problem with the covid rules such as not able to use saliva meant you couldn't make the ball heavier one side which killed any chance of reverse swing. The most the ball did was with the new ball and then pretty dead. He did say out rightly we lacked a spinner (he also said hope Bracewell is not going to listen to this) which meant we had to do more overs and couldn't keep fresh enough for come back spells. He practiced for this test series in India with SG balls as he had no duke balls. Surely NZC could have sent a dozen dukes balls for our boys while they were in IPL?

Moss

He did say out rightly we lacked a spinner (he also said hope Bracewell is not going to listen to this) which meant we had to do more overs and couldn't keep fresh enough for come back spells.
Yeah had brought this up when we were discussing how ineffective Southee and co had been with the older ball. Yes they definitely need to acquire some old-ball skills, but ever since the India tour (from when NZ have either selected suboptimal bowling combinations, or aren't using available resources for bowling extended spells) the bowling workload Southee and Boult have had to carry has seemed pretty insane at times.

Meridio

International Regular
Was listening to Boult on TMS and he made some really valid points. Given the ball was going softer meant they had to hit the deck hard and to do that consistently meant they were physically tested. The ball was definitely going soft but another problem with the covid rules such as not able to use saliva meant you couldn't make the ball heavier one side which killed any chance of reverse swing. The most the ball did was with the new ball and then pretty dead. He did say out rightly we lacked a spinner (he also said hope Bracewell is not going to listen to this) which meant we had to do more overs and couldn't keep fresh enough for come back spells. He practiced for this test series in India with SG balls as he had no duke balls. Surely NZC could have sent a dozen dukes balls for our boys while they were in IPL?
Hate to be that guy but that's not why the ball reverse swings. You always hear people say it, including commentators who should know better, but it's wrong. It's more to do with the rough side than the shiny side.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah had brought this up when we were discussing how ineffective Southee and co had been with the older ball. Yes they definitely need to acquire some old-ball skills, but ever since the India tour (from when NZ have either selected suboptimal bowling combinations, or aren't using available resources for bowling extended spells) the bowling workload Southee and Boult have had to carry has seemed pretty insane at times.
If only we had a parsimonious spinner with the ability to bowl lots of overs and take wickets in the right conditions too...

nzfan

Hate to be that guy but that's not why the ball reverse swings. You always hear people say it, including commentators who should know better, but it's wrong. It's more to do with the rough side than the shiny side.
It is true rough does create the reverse but no chance of reverse if you can't get the ball much heavier one side. It's true it doesn't work just with real rough one side and shiny the other but with no imbalance with extra weight on the shiny side. The heavier the shiny side is more the chance of reverse.

But for the extra heaviness on the shiny side it'll just be conventional swing.

Boult is right, you can only add so much weight with the sweat. Saliva much better to create more weight.

Meridio

International Regular
It is true rough does create the reverse but no chance of reverse if you can't get the ball much heavier one side. It's true it doesn't work just with real rough one side and shiny the other but with no imbalance with extra weight on the shiny side. The heavier the shiny side is more the chance of reverse.

But for the extra heaviness on the shiny side it'll just be conventional swing.

Boult is right, you can only add so much weight with the sweat. Saliva much better to create more weight.
It's not weight though. That has nothing to do with it. I doubt you'd make an appreciable difference to the weight of one side even if you got the entire team to gob on it at once. It's aerodynamics - reverse swing is caused by the rough side of the ball getting to a certain level of roughness which makes the boundary layer become turbulent. That makes it stick to the ball longer on that side compared to the shiny side, so you have a low pressure area on the shiny side and hence a force pushing the ball in that direction.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not a fan of "The ball didn't swing" as a factor in a loss. England have used that as their sook card multiple times for series down here and we correctly called them out on it, so we shouldn't cop it from our side.

There was a lot in the bowlers direct control that they could have done a lot better - everyone (including Boult) often missed their corridors and when both corridor and short were failing they didn't switch to ODI mode or stick to a plan for very long.

If reverse swing is now unlikely (pretty sure England got a bit in one of the tests) then our bowlers need to adapt.

nzfan

It's not weight though. That has nothing to do with it. I doubt you'd make an appreciable difference to the weight of one side even if you got the entire team to gob on it at once. It's aerodynamics - reverse swing is caused by the rough side of the ball getting to a certain level of roughness which makes the boundary layer become turbulent. That makes it stick to the ball longer on that side compared to the shiny side, so you have a low pressure area on the shiny side and hence a force pushing the ball in that direction.
I have tried and it works. Serious rough on one side, ultra shiny with plenty of sweat/saliva on the other, bit of round arm and aiming towards the slips the angle and it tails in very late. Still need to have the best of the release, round arm preferable.

Meridio

International Regular
I have tried and it works. Serious rough on one side, ultra shiny with plenty of sweat/saliva on the other, bit of round arm and aiming towards the slips the angle and it tails in very late. Still need to have the best of the release, round arm preferable.
Think you're misinterpreting me. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying it isn't caused by one side of the ball being heavier. It's down to aerodynamic factors i.e. surface roughness rather than weight.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Anyone watching Spark or Sky with a VPN? I have no trouble with Spark but last time I signed up for Sky I could only get a blank screen, which makes me think they have a VPN blocker.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently "he needs to just play his natural game" is now sound technical advice instead of a meaningless cop out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Apparently "he needs to just play his natural game" is now sound technical advice instead of a meaningless cop out.
There is a very sound, rational technical basis for that advice to be fair, though yes it's mostly used by pundits and Chappelli types because it's rote.