• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Some of the England grounds (Headingley and Trent Bridge) have become so tiny with all the new stands that have been built, that looking at historical successful chases at those grounds is just folly.

Not even getting into modern bats, boundary ropes, movable electronic hoardings then pushing the ropes in even further. Etc.

Trent Bridge has very much the vibe of the old-alignment Eden Park , with that short extra cover boundary at the funny angle. Wasn't really room to build a bigger stand there, but pressure to retain test status with the rise and competition of non-traditiomal test venues of Durham, Southampton, Cardiff, Brustol etc investing.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Welcome to the club Kiwis, now you have an inkling of how we Australians felt after Stokes at Headingley.
Aus left it wide open at Headingley. Iirc England had like two days to chase that down. I think this is another order of magnitude.

thierry henry

International Coach
FWIW in terms of ‘what this says about the team’ I actually don’t know. The tests we lost to Bangladesh and SA were more worrying on that front as they were just sustained bad cricket. These 2 tests have been more about the inevitability of us capitulating from a strong position in the 3rd innings and then being totally incapable of stemming the tide in what should be a tricky 4th innings chase. This has been a problem going back 20-odd years and we lost 2 tests just like this vs England in 2004.

Aside from a history of caving in and playing the supporting role to famous England cricket moments, we have also always been terrible when faced with super aggressive opposition batting. This is 100% superstition on my part but I always felt that what happened in this series was on the cards not because of specific issues with the current players, but because of something baked into NZ cricket DNA.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FWIW in terms of ‘what this says about the team’ I actually don’t know. The tests we lost to Bangladesh and SA were more worrying on that front as they were just sustained bad cricket. These 2 tests have been more about the inevitability of us capitulating from a strong position in the 3rd innings and then being totally incapable of stemming the tide in what should be a tricky 4th innings chase. This has been a problem going back 20-odd years and we lost 2 tests just like this vs England in 2004.

Aside from a history of caving in and playing the supporting role to famous England cricket moments, we have also always been terrible when faced with super aggressive opposition batting. This is 100% superstition on my part but I always felt that what happened in this series was on the cards not because of specific issues with the current players, but because of something baked into NZ cricket DNA.
This post is talkback radio tier.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Uhh England? We were supposed to win that match to set up the 3rd?

Absolute shambles. Can't have 2 close games go to the same team. Its boring