• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

Rich2001

International Captain
Well it's been annouced that now both A.Caddick (side strain) and M.Trescothick (fratured/broken thumb) will be out of the 1st Test vs India

Who would you bring in to replace M.Trescothick? or who would you promote to opening the batting and then who would you bring in lower down the order?

[Edited on 7/25/02 by Neil Pickup]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
How fortunate for the selectors. It gives them the opportunity to promote any one from about three (Butcher, Knight, Stewart even). Goodness me. Who shall we bring in to the middle order?
Ah yes, Mark Ramprakash. Well, that's the batting sorted out. Anyone for a Pimms?

As far as Caddick is concerned that's tricky. Assuming that Gough is in, I suppose Hoggard opens with him. Tudor's in too. Flintoff as well. No Jones, no Corky.

Rich2001

International Captain
N.Knight, will not play his only in the selectors minds for the one dayers.

However you could be right about M.Butcher opening, Stewart will stay at 6 or 7 and I feel that Ramps has been in great form of late however I believe that the selectors will bow to public demand and bring in the talented youth of I.Bell or possibly R.Key.

Bolwing wont be much of a problem as Caddick has been out for a while now and they seems to be happy with what they have, however with Gough back in the picture one of them is likely to miss out (unless they weaken the batting)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're right.

I just sat down and thought 'what a prat - why did you say Knight?'

Ian Bell - the only thing on his side is his youth. At the moment, I don't think he's good enough - yet.

Robert Key - that's worth a try IMHO.

Botham's just put his hat in the Ian Bell ring. Also advocating the inclusion of Simon Jones.

GREAT CHANCE FOR INDIA, WITHOUT CADDICK AND TRES ENG TEAM WILL BE WEAKENED, HOPE INDIA GETS OFF TO A FLYING START.KAPIL DEV HAVE ALREADY TIPPED INDIA AS THE FAV'S FOR THE SERIES

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trescothick leaves a great, gaping hole at the top of the order. He's the best natural opener we have seen in England for a number of years.
Jug-ears won't be missed as much, because seam-up is England's strength. Of course, no guesses as to who I think ought to be in, but then again I'd like to see Jones get a try out, boyo. Now he has a bit of pace.

Sssshhhhh, GI. Don't shout. I'va a hangover.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Trescothick is a world class player and he will leave a huge gap. I would like to see Ian Bell in but I don't think that will happen.

Rich2001

International Captain
Jug-ears won't be missed as much, because seam-up is England's strength. Of course, no guesses as to who I think ought to be in, but then again I'd like to see Jones get a try out, boyo. Now he has a bit of pace.
Your right there, we do have alot of seamers around at the moment and that can only help with the fisrt game at Lord's, which over the years has been a seamers dream. Which will also will help to reduce the risk of India's spin duo hopefully.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yes, I forgot the first test was at Lords.
Corky's in then.
Ten wickets in the match, dropped by the end of the series (or even for the second test), no tour to Australia, recalled for the World Cup, doesn't play.

Seriously, the talk at the moment on the radio is about the 'imminent recall of John Crawley'. Corky's being highlighted because Tudor's not fit either.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yes Tres is a really good player and caddick is pretty good at tests , yes im sure this is an oppurtunity for the young cricketers to get a shot at test level ?

and this test will surely be an interesting one to follow

Rich2001

International Captain
Corky's in then.
Ten wickets in the match, dropped by the end of the series (or even for the second test), no tour to Australia, recalled for the World Cup, doesn't play.
LOL and that probley would happen as well England like to drop/swap players around on one poor performance

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea he is a one day player agreed

but the way he bowls u knw quite looks like test styles , yea its cricket things get suprising

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stranger things have happened.

For instance, what have the following batsmen in common :

Eddie Barlow
Mike Macaulay
Graeme Pollock
Colin Bland
Sydney Burke
Peter Burge
Tom Veivers

Answer :
All were dismissed by Geoff Boycott in test cricket.

Now, Ronnie Irani is a much better bowler than Geoff (allegedly), so it just goes to show that anyone can be effective on his day.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Press release from Lords :

The England and Wales Cricket Board will now announce their 13-man squad for the first Test against India on Saturday morning.

Chairman of selectors David Graveney will release the details of the squad via phone link-up on the Channel 4 Cricket Roadshow at around 10:20am.

England's injury chaos had caused the scheduled announcement of the squad - 11am on Thursday - to be delayed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Corky's in then.
Now that you mention that, I have a feeling that Dom Cork might actually be Andy Bichel. Okay maybe they're twins? They sure get treated the same way. :D

[Edited on 7/18/02 by Top_Cat]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Okay, TC (bet you've never heard that one before - bit like the Monty Python's "Mr Smoke Too Much").

Some players just seem to get up the noses of the selectors. I think there's still a lot of nepotism (in the loosest terms) in the game, aka 'old pals act'.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, TC (bet you've never heard that one before - bit like the Monty Python's "Mr Smoke Too Much").
Nah, never got that one before........:D Hey, I could think of worse things to be called.

Some players just seem to get up the noses of the selectors. I think there's still a lot of nepotism (in the loosest terms) in the game, aka 'old pals act'.
Nepotism isn't such a big deal here but favouratism is rampant. Explain Mark Taylor's extended failure run without being dropped. And that's just one example.

[Edited on 7/18/02 by Top_Cat]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tudor failed a fitness test - out of the first test match v India.

So England's pace attack is likely to be led by Gough (questions about fitness should be answered in the next couple of days - Yorkshire currently batting v Lancs) and Hoggard (who has still to convince me about anything) backed up by Flintoff and . . .. Ok, Lords, seam, swing (didn't go like that against Sri Lanka) - we go for a 5-man pace attack. The three aforementioned, plus Corky and Jones. There. Job done. Pimms anyone?