• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Offical*** English Football Season 2004/05

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Right, me and Neil have a bet similar to last time (for those of you who remember) where we have to change our sigs, depending on who wins the title.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sheringham's United record: 156 appearances, 47 goals - 0.301 per game
Forlan's United record: 95 appearances, 17 goals - 0.179 per game

To get away from discussing donkeys, I'm going to have a coronary before this season's out. 1-0 up after 6' on Saturday, and Morecambe equalise on 83'

Today, 1-0 up after 6' again, then Woking equalise from the spot, then we go back ahead, then they score, then they score again in the 88th, before Steve Flack mercifully saves us a point in stoppage time.

Aargh...

www.conferencefootball.tv if you want the highlights...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Try supporting a decent team!

And tell your manager to get some fitness training, so you don't get overrun in the dying minutes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
Try supporting a decent team!

And tell your manager to get some fitness training, so you don't get overrun in the dying minutes.
Unlike you, Thomas, my first qualification for supporting a team isn't "do they win a lot"?

Fitness isn't an issue - we're professional, they aren't...

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
yes he is injured again....he's not a fan favorite! He has been injured 90% of the time hes been at Oldham and hasn't looked to hot when he has played. He's got this season to prove himself because he's on a healthy contract (for Oldham) as he was signed during our crazy phase, and he's not going to get another juicy contract any time soon.

He played preseason then got injured the week before the season, not sure how long he is out for, he would have started the season in the side had he not got injured
So you could see him being released from his contract?

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
like Wigan Athletic!

We are just the best
Is it me or do I find it strange that steds supports St Helens in the ESL (English Super League), so therefore there is a local rivalry between Staints and Wigan and naturally Staints fans don't like Wigan, but steds supports Wigan in football.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Is it me or do I find it strange that steds supports St Helens in the ESL (English Super League), so therefore there is a local rivalry between Saints and Wigan and naturally Staints fans don't like Wigan, but steds supports Wigan in football.
I come from St. Helens, therefore I support the mighty Saints, but...
a)They're different sports-I hate Wigan rugby as much as any self respecting Saints fan
b)St.Helens does not have a football team worthy of note, so Wigans team is the closest, therefore easier to get to and watch than either of the Liverpool teams(and a good deal cheaper)
c)like Tom Halsey's dad supports Manchester United, my dad lives in, and supports Wigan.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
So you could see him being released from his contract?
No he'll see his contract out, we can't afford to pay him off and the moneys too easy for him to give it up. Its probably safe to say he wont get a new contract though

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Sheringham was a great player, but he was a forward - he didn't score goals so much, he set them up more, a bit like Forlan.

There's a difference between a striker and a forward.
As i said don't insult Sheringham.

Just because someone does not score many goals does not make them like Sheringham, stop spouting rubbish like you've borrowed Ruud's Blinkers.

In fact the official Untied website describes him as
Forlan is a strong striker in the Jurgen Klinsmann mould - he's quick and the scorer of some spectacular goals in the Argentine league.
I can admit his performances for Uruguay suggest he has some ability but please dont keep up this charade vis a vis Sheringham

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
As i said don't insult Sheringham.

Just because someone does not score many goals does not make them like Sheringham, stop spouting rubbish like you've borrowed Ruud's Blinkers.

In fact the official Untied website describes him as

I can admit his performances for Uruguay suggest he has some ability but please dont keep up this charade vis a vis Sheringham
Try reading, I never insulted him.

What I did say was that Forlan was a forward in the Sheringham mould - he sets up more than he scores, like Sheringham.

But that does not make Sheringham a bad player - he's better than Forlan, but don't judge Forlan on his goals.

Where did I insult Sheringham?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Just because someone does not score many goals does not make them like Sheringham
Yes, it does, because Sheringham didn't score many goals.

But that doesn't make him a bad player (he was a very good one) which was my original argument about Forlan.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Sherringham was a good striker(by Man.U standards).

My 1,500th post.

*Raises bat and takes off helmet*

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
He doesn't set up more than he scores, check out the carling Opta stats, he is a goalscoring centre forward that doesnt score many goals.