• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Descending Draft Voting Thread

Pick the three sides you think are the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Hello, pick your best three teams

The rules drafters followed during this descending draft were the following

Each XI must have a minimum of 3 players from a nation not in top 9 of ODI rankings as of April 5th (For clarity that is all associate nations plus Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe)

* Each XI can only have a maximum of 5 players with an ODI debut before 1995 (max 5 players with debuts between 1971 and 1994)

Also I have included the leftovers side in the thread but not the voting list - it generated interest the possible team that could be made with players not selected (the XI set to meet the draft rules as well). So feel free to comment on squads including the leftover squad

JOJOXImr_misterCricAddictPothasLine and LengthCricZo XI (KingKallis)
Paul StirlingShikhar DhawanBrian LaraShane WatsonSachin Tendulkar (c) /oMark Waugh / o
Quinton de Kock (wk)Herschelle GibbsSaeed AnwarHashim AmlaChris Gayle /oAdam Gilchrist / +
Dean JonesMurray GoodwinVirat KohliJoe RootJacques Kallis /oFaf du Plessis / (c)
Viv RichardsAravinda De Silva 6Greg Chappell 6AB de Villiers (*+)Mahela Jayawardene /Craig Ervine /
Garfield Sobers (5)Jonty RhodesAndy FlowerCarl HooperKapil Dev /oRoss Taylor /
Ben Stokes (c) (7)Dave Houghton+Jonny Bairstow (wk)Sikander RazaMohammad Nabi /oGavin Hamilton / o
Ravindra Jadeja (4)Sean Ervine 5Shadab Khan 4Kevin CurranLance Klusener /oAbdul Razzaq / o
Dale Steyn (2)Saqlain Mushtaq 4Simi Singh 5Shaun PollockRegis Chakabva (wk) /Thomas Odoyo o /
Boyd Rankin (3)Waqar Younis 1Mitchell Starc 2Mark WattRashid Khan o/Shane Warne o /
Muttiah Muralitharan (6)Lasith Malinga 3Hamid Hassan 3Andy RobertsChaminder Vaas oJasprit Bumrah o
Mujeeb Ur Rahman (1)Joel Garner 2Curtly Ambrose 1Trent BoultJosh Hazlewood oAllan Donald o

HookShotHonest HunkstrundlerTeutonBitmapLEFTOVERS
Rohit SharmaSanath JayasuriyaGraeme SmithTillakaratne DilshanDesmond HaynesSourav Ganguly 1
Neil JohnsonVirender Sehwag (vc)Mohammad Shahzad+Brendon McCullum cGrant FlowerDavid Warner
Kane WilliamsonKumar Sangakkara (wk) (c)Ricky PontingBrendan TaylorJaved MiandadZaheer Abbas 2
Martin CroweBabar AzamMichael BevanMichael ClarkeSteve TikoloRichie Berrington
Steve SmithKevin O'BrienAndrew Symonds 5Yuvraj SinghAndrew FlintoffSteve Waugh 3
Shakib Al HasanAndy BlignautMichael HusseyJos Buttler wkEoin MorganClive Lloyd (c) 4
Tatenda Taibu +Shahid AfridiSean Williams 6Ryan ten DoeschateMS Dhoni+(C)Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk)
Heath Streak (c)Samiullah ShenwariGraeme Cremer 4Richard HadleeImran KhanGeorge Dockrell
Mitchell JohnsonMalcolm MarshallMichael Holding 1Wasim AkramDennis LilleeBrad Hogg
Shane BondBrett LeePatrick Patterson 3Paul StrangNathan BrackenDarren Gough 5
Glenn McGrathZaheer KhanShoaib Akhtar 1Kagiso RabadaImran TahirMakhaya Ntini

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Firstly, thanks for organising an interesting and well-run draft.
When voting I looked for balance - particularly in attack. I thought some teams over-relied on pace/medium pace when ODIs have shown an increased use of spin.
JOJOXI and CricZo XI had, IMO, the best balanced sides and get my first two votes. My third vote came down to a regular drafter who sometimes doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
All great teams with nothing much between them, so chose 3 well balanced XIs with some known game breakers.

JOJOXI

Firstly, thanks for organising an interesting and well-run draft.
When voting I looked for balance - particularly in attack. I thought some teams over-relied on pace/medium pace when ODIs have shown an increased use of spin.
JOJOXI and CricZo XI had, IMO, the best balanced sides and get my first two votes. My third vote came down to a regular drafter who sometimes doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
I was close to picking HB - I think Blignaut at 6 threw me off a bit (even though he's batted there and even higher) but KOB, Blignaut and Afridi felt like a very volatile 5-7. KOB and Afridi especially could provide fireworks but just questioned whether they'd do it enough. Similar story for your side actually in that I wondered if you had an upgrade on Chakabva (easier said than done) who you were happy to bat at 5 I'd probably have voted for your side.

Compare it to Bitmap I don't know how to word it but individually I probably liked the players in HB and L&L's sides more but whilst Tikolo at 4 stands out a tad, the batting is quite deep - Flintoff averaged over 40 in ODIs at number 5, Morgan at 6, Dhoni at 7, Imran at 8 it feels like they can cover the weaker top order whilst still having a strong bowling attack although perhaps could have better backup bowling.

The more I look at it, the more I think most sides were a pick away from getting my vote - mr_mister has a gun bowling attack, although Ervine as a 5th bowler isn't the strongest - although you'd think they wouldn't be leaking too many runs in the death overs.

Credit to all the drafters, there are weaknesses in all of them I think (because of the nature of the rules) but all of the sides seem pretty competitive in my view - I'm now having second thoughts over a couple of my votes because it is so tight - -how much credit do you give to associate players with good records v top 9 nations from small sample sizes - that is a reason I went for CricAddict because Hamid Hassan and Simi Singh have decent records v top 9 nations - Nabi's reasonably poor batting record v top 9 nations didn't help L&L but then I'd probably back Nabi with the bat over Hamid Hassan to have more impact with the ball so will probably have a think about that.

Not overly fond of trundler's spin attack and I do think spin is a key component of limited overs but the rest of his side is very good so overlooked that, might have a mull over that, I think Bitmap even though at first glance it wasn't my 'favourite' side is probably the one I'm most confident in my vote for,

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Blignaut was a budget Klusener who could clear the boundaries even in Australia tbh. A bit of a personal favorite pick. Also bowled 140+.

JOJOXI

Blignaut was a budget Klusener who could clear the boundaries even in Australia tbh. A bit of a personal favorite pick. Also bowled 140+.
It was just with his ODI average of 18.96 (17.20 v top 9 nations), coupled with Kevin O'Brien's 29.42 (24.67) average and Afridi 23.57 (23.24) made me wonder if they'd get enough runs. Blignaut further down the order or even a very solid number 5 changes how that middle order looks to me I think.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not overly fond of trundler's spin attack and I do think spin is a key component of limited overs but the rest of his side is very good so overlooked that, might have a mull over that, I think Bitmap even though at first glance it wasn't my 'favourite' side is probably the one I'm most confident in my vote for,
Bitmap easily has the best team from 5 down but the top order is just so important in ODIs that I couldn't overlook it.

Is why I pretty much tried to hide me associates, you can easily carry a couple of players if you have all rounders in the top 6.

JOJOXI

Bitmap easily has the best team from 5 down but the top order is just so important in ODIs that I couldn't overlook it.

Is why I pretty much tried to hide me associates, you can easily carry a couple of players if you have all rounders in the top 6.
Its a tough one as I get what you mean - I know in T20s if you lose 3 wkts in the powerplay you rarely win, would imagine its not dissimilar for ODIs and I did try to go that way myself with 2 of 3 associates in the bowling attack. I do think Bitmap has a strong batting lineup though from 5 downwards and in Morgan and Dhoni batters rather than allrounders with a high SR but low average so would be confident in their ability to repair an innings as well as finish one.

Tikolo undoubtedly stands out as a weak point but Grant Flower averages 31.81 v top 9 nations minus Bangladesh - it isn't great but its more than an ODI legend like Sanath Jayasuria (31.66) averages v the same opposition. In no way is that to say Flower is better than Jayasuria but if he can contribute even near the same runs as Jayasuria albeit in a far less impactful way I think it makes it worth the upside of the strong bowling attack Bitmap has.

Having said that it is very tight and whilst I think I'm set on Bitmap's team who knows maybe I see this with a fresh set of eyes later and I'm less convinced.

JOJOXI

Congratulations to @Bitmap and @HookShot for your joint winning efforts in this draft.

And thanks to all for your participation and helping to make this a smooth draft after initial clarifications.

I think all sides did good jobs of making competitive XIs within the confines of the rules.