• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ's road to their 4-Test Tour of Australia 2026-27

Flem274*

123/5
I had zero expectations for the last tour and was still surprised by how bad it was so for this one I'll just predict its a further opportunity to lower 36 year old KWs average in Australia so the checklist brigade can further do their thing and our best bat can retire in a 0-4 **** show.

Right so now that's my expectation, I look forward to seeing how it goes even worse. Maybe Winston Peters becomes player-coach.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's certainly exciting, but when we've won 1 Test in 20 years against them - either side of the Tasman - you can't exactly hold your breath too much, lest you pass out. For anyone keeping score, that is one test win in 31 attempts.

You'd have to think we have to plan to fight fire with fire (not going to use the B word that rhymes with Jazz Ball) and look to invest in a bunch of guys who are going to stand up and at least go down swinging.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Having an express pace bowler and a spin bowler with a bit of guile (i.e. can adjust flight and speed cleverly) will be the two key areas.

Sending 4 pace bowlers who can't break 140kmph and a spin bowling all-rounder who gets 3-5 overs and spanked won't do anything, yet we keep trying it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Good to see kiwis outright panicking at the very idea of this.

I reckon it'll be gun
I think it will be as well but we are slow learners at times. I hope we don't repeat the mistakes of the last tour, but there's a chance Stead will be there still. His contract expires in 2025, so theoretically we may have a new coach and some fresh faces which would make for an exciting tour.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It's still a few years away so hard to predict what our test team will look like but it will probably look a lot different to now, the same goes for Australia.

Warner won't be there or Khawaja and Smith, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon probably won't be there either, even Cummins could be past his best by then.

A shame it will be so long between test tours in Australia, I know we haven't been all that competitive there but we would still be more competitive than the West Indies who somehow have been given back to back test tours of Australia despite being a rabble when it comes to test cricket these days.
Nah Smith will still be there. Wouldn’t put it past Lyon either.

Flem274*

123/5
It's only 2 years away. Both sides will look pretty familiar bar guys who are obviously planning their farewells like Warner and probably a couple of bowling injuries each.

Howsie

International Captain
I think New Zealand’s batting line up will look pretty similar. Conway, Latham (errrr) Williamson, Mitchell, Rachin and Phillps will all be there. I imagine and hope Nicholls will be gone by then. Blundell could still be going being a one format player, might be his last series.

We need to get the bowling right though, Southee and Boult were never much chop even in their primes over there. Can’t be trying to carry both there corpses over for one last series.

Kyle Jamieson
Henry Shipley
Ben Sears
Will O’Rourke
Ray Toole
Zak Foulkes

Jamieson is obvious but the other five are bowlers that could all succeed over in Australia imo. If Stead had any foresight (which we all know he doesn’t) or even a decent eye for talent (which again lol) he’d be getting game time into a lot of these guys for a tour like this

Alas we’ll head over with Boult, Southee, Wagner, Bracewell, Duffy. A broken Jamieson and one guy to carry the drinks till the 4th test when he’ll finally give him a run

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's only 2 years away. Both sides will look pretty familiar bar guys who are obviously planning their farewells like Warner and probably a couple of bowling injuries each.
3 years unfortunately mate, 26/27 season

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be less surprised to see Lyon still there than I would Smith imo, even though he is a couple of years older

Smith has hinted more than once the end for him may be sooner than some expect, where as Lyon on the other hand seems more determined than ever to keep going after the Ashes injury

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be less surprised to see Lyon still there than I would Smith imo, even though he is a couple of years older

Smith has hinted more than once the end for him may be sooner than some expect, where as Lyon on the other hand seems more determined than ever to keep going after the Ashes injury
Yeah he said he wants to make the 2027 ashes in England. Main reason I didn't mention him.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is what is holding this side back. A strong coach would absolutely make a difference overnight to how this side performs.

It's not all doom and gloom - when you have young guys like GP, Sears, O'Rourke, Fisher, Rachin, Hay, Foulkes, Smith, even the Ashoks etc - around senior guys like Henry, Kane, Mitchell etc - you have hope if you get it right. But **** me, it's redundant when you have Elmer Fudd-Stead asleep at the wheel.
Agree, & I'm quoting you in this thread because for the future and credibility of NZ Test cricket, NZC should NOT take their eye of the ball in preparation for this series albeit 2.5 years away. That should include as many NZA type tours as possible, and yes the prospect of some of those bowlers above, and a fit Jamieson (probably in my dreams) is mouth-watering if we can get the timing right on form and fitness.

Edit: I wouldn't write off Henry Shipley either, he's only 27 & his height would be handy on Aussie decks if he continues to develop.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah speaking of outcomes, if we get swept, we won't get more than 2 tests again. We're not England or India where their frequent capitulations have printed money for decades.

We live and die on our results. The team owes it to the future of the game here to win a ****ing game.