• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ "imports" - van Wyk etc - eligible when?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't think so, although the ICC's eligibility regs are a little woolly. IIRC they say a player has be a national of the country as defined by that country or complete four years' residence. So, although Australians are able to live in NZ legally, I suspect they aren't regarded as nationals (like citizens of other EU nations in the UK I suppose), so would think they have to complete the residence unless they're already eligible for a New Zealand passport based on descent.
I've been resident in SA for nearly seven years, yet am not considered a national, and can no longer land a ball consistantly on a length.. Would I qualify? I want a star studded career with SA, marry a model wife, and then lose form and play for Somerset seconds so I can prepare for a major tournament..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've been resident in SA for nearly seven years, yet am not considered a national, and can no longer land a ball consistantly on a length.. Would I qualify? I want a star studded career with SA, marry a model wife, and then lose form and play for Somerset seconds so I can prepare for a major tournament..
ICC eligibility regs.

By them you'd be a "deemed national":

2. A player who has resided for a minimum of 183 days in a Member Country in each of the 4 immediately preceding years shall be a 'deemed national' of that country for the purposes of these Rules.

Although SA might have their own more stringent regs as I recall Tahir had to be withdrawn from the squad for the 4th test on our tour when it was discovered he wasn't an SA passport holder despite have completed his 4 years qualification.

Craig

World Traveller
Obviously the line of thinking is that if picking Yar[ies works for England, why not try it?