• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ "imports" - van Wyk etc - eligible when?

vandem

International 12th Man
Does anybody know the official dates / status for the "imports" who may be available for the NZ team soon?

My understanding is:

van Wyk (SA), eligible now
Mybugh (SA), not relevant as he is now based in England (was eligible after the 2011 World Cup)
de Grandhomme (Zim), eligible at start of 2010-11 season
Wagner (SA), eligible at end of 2010-11 season
Brownlie (Aus), eligible now

Found this:
Cricket: Three more set to switch allegiance - Cricket - NZ Herald News

Is this correct?

Anyone care to wager on both van Wyk and Brownlie making the test team by end of 2010-11 season?

Flem274*

123/5
Van Wyk should be in contention for ODI backup along with McGlashan already. Nfi on Brownlie. We'll have to wait and see what he does. There is a spot open at number six in the test team.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Pity about Myburgh. I've always been a fan of him since he made his debut opening with Rudolph.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd have to think Brownlie is in the selectors' minds, judging from how quickly he's ended up in the NZ A team.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
oh wow, played all my junior and a good chunk of my senior cricket with Dean back in Western Australia - didn't realise he'd gone back to NZ.

Rememeber one of his first A grade game where him and Ryan Campbell put on a good 100 odd with Browners making 2 of them!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Since a NZer can work in Australia and presumably vice versa is it possible that as long as they don't play for the national team they can just walk into the NZ team?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Since a NZer can work in Australia and presumably vice versa is it possible that as long as they don't play for the national team they can just walk into the NZ team?
I don't think so, although the ICC's eligibility regs are a little woolly. IIRC they say a player has be a national of the country as defined by that country or complete four years' residence. So, although Australians are able to live in NZ legally, I suspect they aren't regarded as nationals (like citizens of other EU nations in the UK I suppose), so would think they have to complete the residence unless they're already eligible for a New Zealand passport based on descent.

Flem274*

123/5
Merchant might make it. His problem is he averages mid thirties along with most other number three's around barring Sinclair and Williamson. Since Myburgh is gone though, Merchant and his like have a much better chance.

Howsie

International Captain
So, although Australians are able to live in NZ legally, I suspect they aren't regarded as nationals (like citizens of other EU nations in the UK I suppose), so would think they have to complete the residence unless they're already eligible for a New Zealand passport based on descent.
Correct. Three pretty good examples I can think of are Dean Brownlie, Cameron Merchant and Stewart Rhodes. Both Brownlie and Merchant were eligible for selection as soon as they arrived in the country basically, both of them had New Zealand citizenship through a parent. Stewart Rhodes on the other hand is required to go through the three year qualifying period before he's eligible for New Zealand even though he like Brownlie arrived in New Zealand last season.

Howsie

International Captain
Anyone care to wager on both van Wyk and Brownlie making the test team by end of 2010-11 season?
I don't know about the test team but I wouldn't be surprised to see Brownlie make his international debut within the next year. John Wright apparently loves him and if he's got his backing and he's able to keep performing I can't imagine it would be very long until he makes his international debut.

Flem274*

123/5
Stuart Rhodes was a gun for Wellington early on with the bat. Shame he was kept out by James "next Sinclair" Franklin.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I rate Brownlee. He hasn't played many games for Canterbury, but this season should be the one where he shows everyone how good he is. I saw him bat in his first T20 game for Canterbury (I think) and I think he got a 50 or something. He batted really well anyway and resurrected the innings. Glad he's eligible already. I'd tip him to be a black cap one day.

Van Wyk is a decent backup to McCullum. Dunno if he's good enough in tests to get that job, but a good season for his new side will help his chances.

Wagner in another year is good too. Hopefully he improves this season as there is promise there. He seemed a bit inconsistent last season.

It's a shame about Myburgh, he woulda probably walked into our side tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't have high hopes for Wagner, did nothing in RSA and second season for Otago wasn't all that. Interesting to see how Myburgh gets on in England...

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Merchant might make it. His problem is he averages mid thirties along with most other number three's around barring Sinclair and Williamson. Since Myburgh is gone though, Merchant and his like have a much better chance.
Merchant plays for my club. Not that he played many games for us last year.

Rhodes did look decent in the few games I saw him in at the Basin last year. In the games I saw him, Merchant didn't look any great shakes to be honest, but I don't think he was in any kind of form at the time either.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think so, although the ICC's eligibility regs are a little woolly. IIRC they say a player has be a national of the country as defined by that country or complete four years' residence. So, although Australians are able to live in NZ legally, I suspect they aren't regarded as nationals (like citizens of other EU nations in the UK I suppose), so would think they have to complete the residence unless they're already eligible for a New Zealand passport based on descent.
So why did Pietersen have to qualify to play for England?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So why did Pietersen have to qualify to play for England?
England, for whatever reason, insist on the 4 years' residence even for UK citizens who're overseas born, depsite the ICC not requiring it. As he hadn't played age group for SA he was technically eligible from the seocnd he arrived.