• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ, forever the underdogs?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Is it just me, or are the Black Caps considered to be underdogs in 90% of the matches they go into, regardless of their rating?

Not that I mind, to be honest, because it usually means that we have little to lose... but it does make me wonder.

Langeveldt

Soutie
When NZ can produce an absolute world beating batsman or bowler (if they do).. then people will take note...

NZ win games by being an excellent team unit, without superstars, but unfortunatly this means they arent regarded the same as a side as they would be with a Murali or a Lara in it...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There has ALWAYS been this perception in England that New Zealand, if not exactly soft touches, ought to be.

Even going back to the halcyon days of Sir Richard Hadlee in the mid 80's, they were not taken seriously enough over here - and people were actually surprised if not shocked when they won the series (this coming straight after they had given Australia a proper seeing-to as well).

Majin

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
When NZ can produce an absolute world beating batsman or bowler (if they do).. then people will take note...

NZ win games by being an excellent team unit, without superstars, but unfortunatly this means they arent regarded the same as a side as they would be with a Murali or a Lara in it...
That makes no sense. If they were a team relying on one quality player, why would people suddenly perk up and say "Aren't New Zealand great?"

New Zealand can be a world beating *team*, as their thrashing of SA in the ODI's proved. They don't need to have a prize player. Lara is a great batsman, doesn't make the West Indies particularly good.

Anyway, You're just an attention whore Towns. :}

Langeveldt

Soutie
Majin said:
That makes no sense. If they were a team relying on one quality player, why would people suddenly perk up and say "Aren't New Zealand great?"
Because a couple of special players make more of a mark than 11 good ones....

Majin said:
Anyway, You're just an attention whore Towns. :} [/B]

Im just a what??? :O

Majin

International Debutant
Towns = Loony BoB.

Sorry, I've known him for ages, and Just like to sledge him every now and again. :}

Craig

World Traveller
Majin said:
Towns = Loony BoB.

Sorry, I've known him for ages, and Just like to sledge him every now and again. :}
:O :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still New Zealand do lack that word class player (Bond being a CIP) to be dominate...

Loony BoB

International Captain
tooextracool said:
well the reason why theyre underdogs is that they are inconsistent as their recent loss to pakistan showed.
Well, I can't wait until we're consistent and win every single match/series we're involved in, just like all those other nations!

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
Well, I can't wait until we're consistent and win every single match/series we're involved in, just like all those other nations!
yes and how many of those nations cant beat a pakistan team that cant bat bowl or field at home???

Craig

World Traveller
Give them some credit, Shoaib did bowl very very well, I think most sides would have been put into a not so good position.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Give them some credit, Shoaib did bowl very very well, I think most sides would have been put into a not so good position.
well to lose 8 wickets for 12 odd runs is unacceptable for any team

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
yes and how many of those nations cant beat a pakistan team that cant bat bowl or field at home???
A different Pakistan side to that that played in NZ - they are so inconsistent it's unbelievable.

anzac

International Debutant
NZ cricket does produce world class players - but because of the size of their players base etc they do not come along every 'generation'..........Sutcliffe, Turner, R Hadlee, M Crowe, C Cairns..........

furthermore there are also other players who could / should have been world class but for a variety of reasons don't quite make the grade to the ultimate level / accolades.........Nash, Rutherford, Vettori, Fleming.............

it is hoped that the current trend of emerging talent continues and that in the future NZ will have genuine world class players at international level on a more regular basis.........

:)