• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ #1!

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's odd that we've had so many long six hitters in the last decade if you think about it. Guppy/Taylor/Anderson. Really is no need to hit it half as long as they often do.

The real notorious edging for six blokes in NZ were always Munro or Baz.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The actual rankings only came about in 2015 or so and since then we've held it for 500+ days. The rankings are definitely much jankier than the Test/ODI tables though.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Feel super proud of the current Black Caps. Yes people don't want to hear all the time we are a small country and even smaller sample to chose from but that's a fact. The way cricket has come along in the last 4-6 years it's been amazing to see. I'm hoping we are going to get consistent flow of world class cricketers in the next 5-10 years. NZC has done quite well to get a reasonable influx of cricketers in the recent years. The grass root and youth cricket has never been better. I guess that's where the focus need to be consistently continued.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone actually care about being No.1 in any ranking, especially now that there's championships/World Cups in all three formats and a very quantifiable way of proving you're No.1? You'd think me as a Kiwi fan would cling onto something like this, but I give no Fs. The fact we just became No.1 in ODIs, having literally played three of them in the past 12 months, makes it a bit laughable (yes I know COVID but we had a full summer of not playing them).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel super proud of the current Black Caps. Yes people don't want to hear all the time we are a small country and even smaller sample to chose from but that's a fact. The way cricket has come along in the last 4-6 years it's been amazing to see. I'm hoping we are going to get consistent flow of world class cricketers in the next 5-10 years. NZC has done quite well to get a reasonable influx of cricketers in the recent years. The grass root and youth cricket has never been better. I guess that's where the focus need to be consistently continued.
But also this. Most if not all of us rode the wave through the horrible periods of the late 2000s early 2010s, so to get to where we are with the player base we have, is pretty special. Hopefully this position of strength continues with the younger generation learning from, and having to work hard to replace the older crop who paved the way.

The Hutt Rec

Is this really our first time at number one? I think I saw that mentioned somewhere.

I thought we’d have reached it sometime in the late 90s/early 00s when we were quite consistent, but I guess Australia would always have been ahead of us.

Or early-mid 80s, as well.

Nice to see us up there in probably historically our best format, anyway. :)

nzfan

Its not about some numbering system. It's about realization that we're up there in all formats. The intangibles are our role model cricketers and how much they inspire the younger generation. Forever I thought we're at best competitive and best placed as reasonable team somewhere mid table.

Have heard from our past cricketers how our player base is so small and we should focus on one format and dominate. That hasn't been the case since few years. Good system, talent recognition, ideal senior players has shown we can change things around. More than anything it's the change in mindset I'm happy about. Besides the players also want to be world class, they don't want to be pedestrian.

Last edited: