• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ #1!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feel super proud of the current Black Caps. Yes people don't want to hear all the time we are a small country and even smaller sample to chose from but that's a fact. The way cricket has come along in the last 4-6 years it's been amazing to see. I'm hoping we are going to get consistent flow of world class cricketers in the next 5-10 years. NZC has done quite well to get a reasonable influx of cricketers in the recent years. The grass root and youth cricket has never been better. I guess that's where the focus need to be consistently continued.
I've said it before but pound for pound NZ are insanely good. Even being able to compete with countries like India and England is remarkable, letting alone winning games against them. Being ranked no. 1 when you have one 300th the population of India and cricket isn't even your most popular sport . . . shouldn't be possible. Definitely doing something right.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The 2000 NZ ODI side that won the ICC knockouts or whatever were pretty good too. The fact that they were so close to beating the 2003 Aussie side in the WC shows that IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
i joined here just after the 2007 wc. in 2010 or so if you'd told me the headline 'nz #1 ranking in odis' would be met by kiwi fans with 'oh ok, nice, moving on to bigger things...' that would have blown my mind tbh.

as to the news - oh ok, nice, moving on to bigger things though, we've got a wtc final and england tour to hype for.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
i joined here just after the 2007 wc. in 2010 or so if you'd told me the headline 'nz #1 ranking in odis' would be met by kiwi fans with 'oh ok, nice, moving on to bigger things...' that would have blown my mind tbh.

as to the news - oh ok, nice, moving on to bigger things though, we've got a wtc final and england tour to hype for.
I think the apathy is also due to the fact we haven't played. If we'd known going into a series with Australia (particularly away) or some other arduous task that we'd reach No.1 if we won, then did, that would feel good. And we've readjusted to the fact we're actually really good, but looking back it is incredible based on our player base/population and how ****house we were in the 2010 sort of era, how competitive we are now. For us to be in the last 3 finals across 50 overs and Tests is pretty incredible. Winning one would be nice...

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Definitely not expecting a replay of India’s series here … they’ll lift for the final. Our finals experience should put us in good stead. Agree it’s tough to even work out who should be the favourite. I’m just glad it is being played in England which does suit us …

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think we'll know better once we play England. You only really need to dominate a couple of sessions to win the WTC so it's going to come down to who's more clutch imo

Flem274*

123/5
depends on the deck as well. after the bull**** 2019 wc final i would not rule out a southampton pitch that turns square.

Athlai

Not Terrible
BDK scores runs, NZ win. He doesn't, India win. That simple, ain't it.
Nah there is more to our batting than Big Daddy.

Latham and Nicholls have been going great for years. Taylor still fires every now and then. Conway is our most hyped talent since Big Daddy himself. Arguably it's our best batting lineup ever by a decent margin.