• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"No i will not have any trouble facing Marshall."

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just saw a brilliant post from slogsweep. Has it been deleted ? :unsure:
Yeah, I saw it too. Maybe he deleted it himself. I think everybody is confused as to whether this whole "McGrath >> Marshall" thing is G. I. Joe's genuine opinion, or just an elaborate attempt at a pisstake. :p :laugh:

Blaze 18

Banned
Yeah, I saw it too. Maybe he deleted it himself. I think everybody is confused as to whether this whole "McGrath >> Marshall" thing is G. I. Joe's genuine opinion, or just an elaborate attempt at a pisstake. :p :laugh:
:laugh:

Gotta love G.I.Joe.

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
Going by this thread, Marshall was no McGrath, thats for sure.

34 year old McGrath wouldn't have had problems dismissing rookie Sachin.
Did you even see Malcolm Marshall bowl? Your comments reek of pure ignorance. You have shown a poor grasp of cricket history, and that you are completely clueless about what defines fast bowling greatness.

In the eyes of far better judges than you, Marshall is regarded by many as the most complete fast bowler in the game's history. He combined an exquisite set of skills, with a wonderful intellect, to mesmerize the world's best batsmen, for over a decade.

I remember that tournament, and the 91/92 World Series, showcased Malcolm Marshall in the final three months of his international career. The West Indies had dominated cricket for the past 15 years, and the majority of their kings from that golden era, including Richards, Greenidge, Dujon, Haynes and Marshall had already retired, or were about to retire. It was an aging team, that had just denied both Australia and England in 1991, in two epic series, to continue their unbeaten run in Test Cricket, and allow all of their legends the perfect farewell. Most of them retired after that, but Marshall came back for a few more One Day tournaments.

It should be noted, that India in 1991/92, were still a cricketing lightweight, and were hardly a massive motivating factor. It might have been a big deal for Tendulkar to face Marshall, but at the very end of his career, it was hardly motivating for a legend like Marshall, who had accomplished everything there is to achieve in the game of cricket, to bowl to an 18 year old kid, who was just starting his international career.

By this stage, it was clear that Marshall had been mentally 'up' for a long period of time, and that retirement was imminent. Anybody who tries to depict this Malcolm Marshall, as the legendary Malcolm Marshall as we came to know him, is seriously clueless. It's like watching the likes of Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Brett Favre who were all mortal in their final days, and then trying to argue, that this is what they were like in their prime. Anybody with eyes, and even a little bit of common sense, knows that it's absolute nonsense.

And that's the hilarious part, how clueless individuals with no basic understanding of the game of cricket, who have never even seen most of these champions play, try and take a few random matches, regardless of context, and declare all sorts of nonsensical generalizations.

Most cricket experts who have actually seen both Marshall and McGrath, consider Marshall to be the greater bowler. He was far more skillful, and destructive. McGrath took a limited set of skills, and became very successful, but he wasn't anywhere near as brilliant as Marshall. At the peak of his powers, Malcolm Marshall was simply unplayable. As fine a batsman as Tendulkar is, if I had to make a call, I would confidently back Malcolm Marshall every day of the week.

smash84

The Tiger King
Did you even see Malcolm Marshall bowl? Your comments reek of pure ignorance. You have shown a poor grasp of cricket history, and that you are completely clueless about what defines fast bowling greatness.

In the eyes of far better judges than you, Marshall is regarded by many as the most complete fast bowler in the game's history. He combined an exquisite set of skills, with a wonderful intellect, to mesmerize the world's best batsmen, for over a decade.

I remember that tournament, and the 91/92 World Series, showcased Malcolm Marshall in the final three months of his international career. The West Indies had dominated cricket for the past 15 years, and the majority of their kings from that golden era, including Richards, Greenidge, Dujon, Haynes and Marshall had already retired, or were about to retire. It was an aging team, that had just denied both Australia and England in 1991, in two epic series, to continue their unbeaten run in Test Cricket, and allow all of their legends the perfect farewell. Most of them retired after that, but Marshall came back for a few more One Day tournaments.

It should be noted, that India in 1991/92, were still a cricketing lightweight, and were hardly a massive motivating factor. It might have been a big deal for Tendulkar to face Marshall, but at the very end of his career, it was hardly motivating for a legend like Marshall, who had accomplished everything there is to achieve in the game of cricket, to bowl to an 18 year old kid, who was just starting his international career.

By this stage, it was clear that Marshall had been mentally 'up' for a long period of time, and that retirement was imminent. Anybody who tries to depict this Malcolm Marshall, as the legendary Malcolm Marshall as we came to know him, is seriously clueless. It's like watching the likes of Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Brett Favre who were all mortal in their final days, and then trying to argue, that this is what they were like in their prime. Anybody with eyes, and even a little bit of common sense, knows that it's absolute nonsense.

And that's the hilarious part, how clueless individuals with no basic understanding of the game of cricket, who have never even seen most of these champions play, try and take a few random matches, regardless of context, and declare all sorts of nonsensical generalizations.

Most cricket experts who have actually seen both Marshall and McGrath, consider Marshall to be the greater bowler. He was far more skillful, and destructive. McGrath took a limited set of skills, and became very successful, but he wasn't anywhere near as brilliant as Marshall. At the peak of his powers, Malcolm Marshall was simply unplayable. As fine a batsman as Tendulkar is, if I had to make a call, I would confidently back Malcolm Marshall every day of the week.
wow.......just wow..........wonderfully well written

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Why didn't that count as an offical international match?
Not sure. Was a benefit match or something. Also back then, AFAIR, they did not award official status to any matches involving world XI, Asia XI etc. This trend started only in mid 2000's

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love reading slog sweep's posts even though I strongly disagree with virtually all of them. He's a wonderful persuasive writer. Not that he could persuade me, but still. :p

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I love reading slog sweep's posts even though I strongly disagree with virtually all of them. He's a wonderful persuasive writer. Not that he could persuade me, but still. :p
I love the part about lack of motivation. Its what keeps me from being the best I can possibly be, tbh :p Apparently its a redeeming trait now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Apparently Marshall was past his prime at the ripe old age of 34. McGrath carried on for longer as a better bowler. So yeah, the qualification needs to be made.
Instead of looking at age, why don't we see the no. of years they played at the highest level? Which year of his career did Marshall face Sachin? Might be a better way to judge.. I am not really sure who is better.. I only watched McGrath and if Marshall was indeed better than him, then I am really unlucky not to have seen him in action..

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

You know what.

With this part ,specially the bolded bit ,you have set up GI Joe's argument perfectly again.

At the age of 34 Malcolm marshall was not motivated enough to play against India who were a decent team and Sachin who was a 18 yr old bound to be a star,when at the age of 36 of 37 Mcgrath was motivated enough to have great years and bowl against the likes of Ed joyce and Mohammad Ashraful which ultimately culminated in a MOM at the World cup.:ph34r:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I love the part about lack of motivation. Its what keeps me from being the best I can possibly be, tbh :p Apparently its a redeeming trait now.
Munaf Patel could have been the best of the lot ,if he could have been motivated enough ,tbh.:ph34r:

Blaze 18

Banned

Dude, are you a professional writer ? Wow, just wow! :notworthy:

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'll never ever get why skill matters at all tbh. Maybe it can be used as a predictor for how 2 kids will fare in cricket in the future but when the career is done and dusted, Whether a bowler 'could' do more things with the ball doesn't matter at all in comparison to how they both have performed.

Sometimes I get the impression in CW, That past greats are compared more on the basis of what they 'could' do rather than what they actually did. If a bowler could be unplayable on his day yet ended up the same performance-wise as another player, It means he could be much more 'playable' than the second player on another day. It's like people care only about the first factor and act like the balancing of it on the other side does not matter.

EDIT:-General rant, not directly in response to slogsweep's post

Last edited: