• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'No Doctoring' of the pitch at the Oval

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No point complaining about the pitch.

After the fourth test even the radio commentators said the Oval pitch will be a dustbowl in order to favour England.

Can't any of the Australians look at a pitch and have an idea what it might be like ?

Perhaps they should listen to the radio ?
I'm not complaining as we're about to win The Ashes. If Australia had won the toss they would win the match even with the current bowling line-up.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not complaining as we're about to win The Ashes. If Australia had won the toss they would win the match even with the current bowling line-up.
If Australia had won the toss they'd still be behind, in a better position obviously, but still behind. Broad's spell would have still decimated them whichever day it was.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia had won the toss they'd still be behind, in a better position obviously, but still behind. Broad's spell would have still decimated them whichever day it was.
If Australia had batted on the first day, in the first two sessions in particular, Broad's spell wouldn't have happened.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What a pointless argument. Might as well argue that if England had picked me I'd have taken 7-4. Nobody ****ing knows so what is the point in stating such things as facts?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a pointless argument. Might as well argue that if England had picked me I'd have taken 7-4. Nobody ****ing knows so what is the point in stating such things as facts?
Not really, it's a little bit different. Australia shouldn't have been bowled out for 160 regardless though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just to clarify - I don't think there is anything wrong with saying the toss has affected the match. More that it's a bit pointless to go into finer details.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh please, every 3rd cricket thread you are in there with a snide comment about the thread being useless. Which is a shame as you are usually very interesting to read.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just to clarify - I don't think there is anything wrong with saying the toss has affected the match. More that it's a bit pointless to go into finer details.
I agree that mentioning the toss is a bit stupid, as generally the toss affects every match, not just this one.

Dissector

International Debutant
England's 373 puts the pitch in perspective, doesn't it? Maybe it was good bowling and not the pitch that was responsible for Australia's first innings.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England's 373 puts the pitch in perspective, doesn't it? Maybe it was good bowling and not the pitch that was responsible for Australia's first innings.
No it doesn't. The lower middle order were able to hit out under no pressure against defensive fields, which is an entirely different (ie easier) kettle of bananas.

Dissector

International Debutant
What about the century partnership between Strauss and Trott? In any event if the pitch was as terrible as claimed it should have been possible to set reasonably attacking fields to the lower middle order and bowl them out cheaply. If the pitch is giving serious assitance, attack is always the best form of defense.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What about the century partnership between Strauss and Trott? In any event if the pitch was as terrible as claimed it should have been possible to set reasonably attacking fields to the lower middle order and bowl them out cheaply. If the pitch is giving serious assitance, attack is always the best form of defense.

The century partnership is what set up the lower middle order to be able to play their shots.:)

Dissector

International Debutant
And Australia end up with 80 for 0. So 395 runs scored for the loss of 6 wickets on Day 3 of an alleged minefield.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Well done England for winning the Ashes. There will be no miracles for 0z tomorrow I hate to say.
The luck has always been with England this series.
4 tosses won by Strauss
last pair surviving at Cardiff
Dodgy umpiring
What a great heist by England.
Aus 100's 7
Eng 100's 2
2 - 1 to England undeserved but ya, congratulations nonetheless.