• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nightmare tournament-ending injuries for each WC side

Flem274*

123/5
Baz is living proof numbers aren't everything. The way he goes about everything is so much more important than how many he scores. It's the package that does it. He's relentless and immune to attempts to break his ****ing arm. The ultimate leader.

Though the runs he's scoring are nice too.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah so..

Aust - Starc
NZ - McCullum
SA - AB
India - VK
Pakistan- Misbah
SL - Sanga/Mathews
Eng - Root/Ali
WI - Taylor/Russell
Ireland- Joyce
Zim - Taylor
Scotland - Coetzer/Davey
Afghanistan - Shapoor
UAE- Anwar
Bangers - Shakib

Spark

Global Moderator
Losing Starc would be a serious blow but hardly a nightmare IMO. Johnson-Haze-Cummins is still handy.

Zinzan

Losing Starc would be a serious blow but hardly a nightmare IMO. Johnson-Haze-Cummins is still handy.
Relatively speaking of course, but yeah, Starc wouldn't as big a blow for Aust as say AB would be for SA.

GGG

State Captain
Hmm not sure about McCullum or Williamson, could draft in Ryder if McCullum gets injured :ph34r: Williamson is irreplaceable as a player. McCullum brings so much more than his batting though, so would have to go with him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Relatively speaking of course, but yeah, Starc wouldn't as big a blow for Aust as say AB would be for SA.
Strong argument to be made that Smith would be out biggest loss tbh. We're shorter on quality, in-form cake than on quicks.

Zinzan

Strong argument to be made that Smith would be out biggest loss tbh. We're shorter on quality, in-form cake than on quicks.
From a NZ fans POV, I'd much rather Starc not playing than Smith if we played Aust again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
See I dunno about this. When you think of Cummins and Hazlewood you think of young, threatening fast bowlers, and while that's true of them I think they both still have a lot to learn about one day cricket. The World Cup has come two seasons too early for them to be really seen as strengths or the awesome backup some people think they are IMO. I'm not doubting their talent but they don't really have a body of work behind them in OD cricket to fall back on if things don't go their way early in a spell, which for mine would pose a serious problem in a fast bowling attack consisting of both of them and Johnson.

I've always been a Bailey sceptic but I think I'd be more comfortable with him for Smith than Cummins and Haze both playing and Starc not.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Has to be a batsman for NZ as we have Mills and McClenaghan yet to even play. I'd go for McCullum because he's the talisman of the team.

Corey Anderson worth a shout as the balance of our team is stuffed without him.

Daemon

Yeah so..

Aust - Starc
NZ - McCullum
SA - AB
India - VK
Pakistan- Misbah
SL - Sanga/Mathews
Eng - Root/Ali
WI - Taylor/Russell
Ireland- Joyce
Zim - Taylor
Scotland - Coetzer/Davey
Afghanistan - Shapoor
UAE- Anwar
Bangers - Shakib
Afghanistan would miss Hassan and Shenwari more imo.

Normally I'd laugh at the suggestion of Russell being of any use but I ran the lineup through my head and..well...

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kohli based on India's current tactics of batting (which has proven successful).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but even when we were chasing 100 against UAE we took it easy and cooled our jets at around 5.5rpo.

McCullum would have tried to chase that in 8 overs.

Daemon

Yeah but even when we were chasing 100 against UAE we took it easy and cooled our jets at around 5.5rpo.

McCullum would have tried to chase that in 8 overs.
India just wanted the game to last till the lunch break because there were rumours of some delicious samosas being made.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah so..

Aust - Starc
NZ - McCullum
SA - AB
India - VK
Pakistan- Misbah
SL - Sanga/Mathews
Eng - Root/Ali
WI - Taylor/Russell
Ireland- Joyce
Zim - Taylor
Scotland - Coetzer/Davey
Afghanistan - Shapoor
UAE- Anwar
Bangers - Shakib
Shapoor is Afghanistan's 3rd best bowler. Both Dawlat and Hamid are better. All very good though.

Just love their whole team tbh. Freaking amazing wicketkeeper.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I being too reactionary thinking Starc would be Australia's worst injury atm?
I'd say you're spot on. Right up there with AB or Sanga in terms of worst-case scenario for any side. Most notably for his death bowling, he is the best in the world by so far it's not even funny.

I'd say Brendon is our worst-case. His captaincy, his firepower up front in taking the pressure off Gup, the belief he gives his bowlers, just his all-round value physically and mentally. Kane is close, as is Dan. We wouldn't have won at Eden Park with any of those three absent.