• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Howsie

International Captain
I don't get the whole "poaching Chapman" thing. His old man is a kiwi and he's lived here since he was 13, that would make him more of a kiwi than the likes of Jeet Raval and Colin Munro

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I like Mark, he's got something about him. Even with the way he plays Jeets in that clip, awkwardly at times, you can see he wants to play him intelligently with feet, in the right areas etc rather than the general Kiwi FC approach of block block sweep/hoick. I think in 3-4 years time he'll be an ingrained T20/ODI player and will be pushing to adapt his longer form game to be a 6 for us as well (if Anderson/Neesham haven't decided to become international class - more so the former I mean).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If George Worker demands inclusion on domestic form then Munro certainly does
1. M Guptill
2. G Worker
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor
5. T Bruce
6. C Munro
7. T Seifert+
8. M Santner
9. A Milne
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

This demands 10 overs from Worker, Munro & Williamson, tho. Thought about CJ or Neesh at 5 but don't think they deserve it tbh.

Blain

U19 Captain
Southee shouldn't be picked in our top ODI side IMO. With the white balls not swinging, he is a 130-135KM medium pacer. Off Cricinfo, stats over the last few years;

year 2013 8 8 69.0 9 334 10 3/34 33.40 4.84 41.4 0 0 view innings
year 2014 8 8 71.2 5 389 10 4/72 38.90 5.45 42.8 1 0 view innings
year 2015 19 18 154.0 9 929 28 7/33 33.17 6.03 33.0 0 view innings
year 2016 10 10 96.2 7 509 14 3/40 36.35 5.28 41.2 0 0 view innings
year 2017 10 10 86.2 2 489 11 3/45 44.45 5.66 47.0 0 0 view innings

The guy is continually there on reputation above all else. I hope guys like Kugs, Mitch (the bitch), Ferguson, Henry and Wheeler can knock him off his perch next season.

And yes I'm over Rhonchi (we all know the stats there) and bit's and bob players like Neesham, Anderson and Santner making up our middle order. I like Santners bowling, but he isn't an all rounder. Handy No 8/9 maybe.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't get the whole "poaching Chapman" thing. His old man is a kiwi and he's lived here since he was 13, that would make him more of a kiwi than the likes of Jeet Raval and Colin Munro
He hasn't lived full time in NZ since 13? He's been studying in HK iirc and has learnt the bulk of his cricket here. Not to mention coming through HK's youth cricket system and having already represented the national side loads...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
tbh thinking about it my preferred side/15 squad would be something like

1. M Guptill
2. G Phillips+
3. K Williamson*
4. R Taylor
5. T Bruce
6. C Munro
7. CJ Anderson (just about on bowling alone)
8. M Santner
9. A Milne
10. M Henry
11. T Boult

12. H Bennett
13. I Sodhi
14. T Latham
15. B Wheeler/G Worker

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
He hasn't lived full time in NZ since 13? He's been studying in HK iirc and has learnt the bulk of his cricket here. Not to mention coming through HK's youth cricket system and having already represented the national side loads...
He boarded at my school and went to the University of Auckland...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh thinking about it my preferred side/15 squad would be something like

1. M Guptill
2. G Phillips+
3. K Williamson*
4. R Taylor
5. T Bruce
6. C Munro
7. CJ Anderson (just about on bowling alone)
8. M Santner
9. A Milne
10. M Henry
11. T Boult

12. H Bennett
13. I Sodhi
14. T Latham
15. B Wheeler/G Worker
Pleased you didn't forget Bennett altogether like some earlier & Sodhi for that matter (who I still think is going to cement his spot in the next 12 mths or so).., although you then spoiled it by also including Worker in the fringe, who I've said before, smacks of a guy who gets exposed at the level above FC.

Also, as talented as Phillips looks, he's a bit loose to partner Guppy at the top for me. I'd prefer a more steady option like Brownlie or Latham (if in nick). I thyink if we learned anything from the CT, it's that we need more solidarity than Gups, KW & Taylor.

Last edited:

Zinzan

^ And.... considering Anderson appears to bat with so much fear these days (despite ironically stating in a recent article that he doesn't play with fear anymore. and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone :ph34r:), I'd probably prefer Colin de Grandhomme, a better bowler for me, especially when there's any movement in the wicket. I think we missed a trick not trying him in the CT. Learned a lot in his IPL stint.

Howsie

International Captain
Zinzan why are you hell bent on playing one of Brownlie or Latham, especially Brownlie. It just doesn't make any sense, he's been terrible in ODI's, he's old and has nothing to fall back on one day wise in domestic cricket. Latham IMO just isn't a one day opener in this day in age, especially with Williamson and Taylor in the top four.

Howsie

International Captain
^ And.... considering Anderson appears to bat with so much fear these days (despite ironically stating in a recent article that he doesn't play with fear anymore. and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone :ph34r:), I'd probably prefer Colin de Grandhomme, a better bowler for me, especially when there's any movement in the wicket. I think we missed a trick not trying him in the CT. Learned a lot in his IPL stint.
Oh, you're Gavin Larsen......

Zinzan

Zinzan why are you hell bent on playing one of Brownlie or Latham, especially Brownlie. It just doesn't make any sense, he's been terrible in ODI's, he's old and has nothing to fall back on one day wise in domestic cricket. Latham IMO just isn't a one day opener in this day in age, especially with Williamson and Taylor in the top four.
I actually thought Brownlie looked decent against strong Aust and SA sides, and don't think his average in the late 20s was indicative of how comfortable he looked & his partnerships with Guppy. Re: Latham, the caveat for him that he's in top touch, it was ironic that he seemed in career best form in those warm-ups & of course didn't get a game.

Anyway, hell-bent is a strong phase considering I'm not overly keen of either, I just think it's clear we need at least 1, if not 2 batsmen (outside our big 3) who can actually survive top attacks for more than 5 overs & I don't seem too many other options demanding a call-up recently.

Zinzan

@ Howsie, May not sound like world-class expectations, but I'd take someone to partner Guppy at the top who could average 30 with a SR of 80, which is what an in-form Latham or Brownlie would give you over a decent sample set.

Howsie

International Captain
Neither of them have proven that though.

McCullum retired 18 months ago now, and the two guys who have had a chance to replace him, Brownlie and Latham haven't been up to the expected level. You're kind of expectations are how you end up with a keeper averaging 10 for two and a half years, because it's supposly the "best" we have.

I'm hardly a roving fan of George Worker but he fully deserves a run as an opener in this ODI team.

Last edited: