• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- #1 ranked test side for the first time ever

M0rphin3

International Debutant
i had a look at the scorecards from 2016 the other day to remind myself. classic case of touring side fighting hard for a lot of the game then indias bowlers get on a roll with their second bowl. we kept indias batting relatively quiet until the third test where kohli finally scored runs.

i can see similar happening this year.
nah, not as optimistic this time tbh. really looking forward to it (if it happens idk) but no half way decent spinner + idk how effective southee-boult-jams attack is gonna be in India. And not really confident about batting either against beast mode Ashwin, Jadeja et al

Id say itd be a much more difficult this tour time round tstl

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
If those four guys choose to pull the plug we'll be in a lot of trouble. I feel if the situation doesn't change in the next few months we may have players opting out. Pakistan tour will be interesting. Wonder if players start to think about pulling out of it like some players did from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
If those four pull the plug it would solve the issues we have with players who should probably be playing test cricket not being able to.

Imagine:
Latham
Ravindra
Williamson
Conway
Nicholls
Young
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Ferguson
Boult

M0rphin3

International Debutant
If those four pull the plug it would solve the issues we have with players who should probably be playing test cricket not being able to.

Imagine:
Latham
Ravindra
Williamson
Conway
Nicholls
Young
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Ferguson
Boult
who's keeping here?

nzfan

Imagine:
Latham
Ravindra
Williamson
Conway
Nicholls
Young
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Ferguson
Boult
Probably our future test team in a year's time but to debut lot of them in India would be disastrous.

I think young and Blundell were part of the A tour before but Conway wouldn't have been to India ever.

I'd take sodhi and ajaz given their Indian background.

nzfan

If India draws the current test match there'll be a lot of talk of how we're no 1 lol

It'll probably cause us some headaches getting to play the wtc finals?

nzfan

Things are changing rapidly for good. Those tours to uk and India will win some brownie points for David White surely. We had no test matches scheduled for the next 11 months originally I think.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Things are changing rapidly for good. Those tours to uk and India will win some brownie points for David White surely. We had no test matches scheduled for the next 11 months originally I think.
Its the #1 effect. India had very few tests on the calendar when we became number 1 around 2009 too and then suddenly the 2 test series in NZ became a 3 test one and we got Australia to play 2 tests in 2010 when they were originally coming only for one dayers. :laugh:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I've not watched enough domestix here, and know Blundell is picked for his keeping, but is he good enough? Especially in subcontinent it'd be really tricky imo?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Imagine:
Latham
Ravindra
Williamson
Conway
Nicholls
Young
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Ferguson
Boult
Fine in NZ but need at least one other spinner in India

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Fine in NZ but need at least one other spinner in India
Ajaz in for Tim there surely, he'll be destroyed in India.

Ravindra + Ajaz should be plenty. But with the spinners, the larger problem is none of them get an extended run, they just keep on rotating and binning them (yeah kinda get the logic with all the home series but still).

Hopefully Rachin is gonna solve that issue, but still not good enough to be the sole spinner, awta

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ajaz in for Tim there surely, he'll be destroyed in India.

Ravindra + Ajaz should be plenty. But with the spinners, the larger problem is none of them get an extended run, they just keep on rotating and binning them (yeah kinda get the logic with all the home series but still).

Hopefully Rachin is gonna solve that issue, but still not good enough to be the sole spinner, awta
For Boult imo

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
wonder if ross, wagner, watling and lord colin will be around then. could be a special bloodbath.
I actually think we're pretty well placed to weather that first tranche of retirements. Jamieson and Conway/Young will plug the main gaps and Blundell has shown plenty of promise. The real problems won't start until Kane and Soult retire.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some memory I have of series in India is Kane's hundred batting at no.7, Ross Taylor hundred in the same tour as a captain. One of the very best knock that.

Boult hitting poles with an absolute beauty to Tendulkar.
I recall a Chris Martin spell where he ran through us.

I think what followed was the most shameful period of NZ cricket history though.