• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The two of us played two innings which are very similar in some respects but they are also unique. No one has done this (the unique aspect of those two innings), in about a hundred years, and it is unlikely that anyone will do it again.

Who are we, which are these two innings and what was unique about them ?

Q1. Are the two of you related?......NO
Q2. Were the innings in the same match? ........ NO
Q3. Are the innings test innings? ......NO
Q4. Were the two innings in the same season? ........NO But here is the next similarity, they were exactly one year apart - plus/minus 24 hours !!
Q5. Were the innings played in England? ..... YES
Q6. FC match? ..... YES
Q7. County Championship? ...... NO
]Q8. Is it anything to do with WG and/or the London County XI? ...... NO

In addition we have been told that
- the two of us had the same first name
- that the matches were uncannily similar.
- Both innings were centuries.
- Both innings were against the same side.
NEXT HINT : Both innings were against MCC

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q9. Defining the golden age as 1890-1914 did either or both innings get played in it? ...... NO (later)

Q10. Were both matches played at Lord's? ..... YES

Q11. Did one or both involve a touring side? ..... NO

The players are not well known, you have to try and think why the matches were kind of unique.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q11. Is it to do with the way they were dismissed? ......NO

Q12. Is the name Bill? .... NO

Next Hint : The name is John :) There are millions of them - no ?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suspect the surnames are Lomas and Thompson but if that is correct I must confess I cannot see anything obviously unique about the games

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q!4. Were the matches concerned played in the late 30's?

Q15. I suspect the surnames are Lomas and Thompson but if that is correct I must confess I cannot see anything obviously unique about the games

YES and YES

Well, any hint I try to give at this stage will give it away but I suppose that doesn't mater.

Both these games broke the cricket laws in a way.

fredfertang

All I can think of is that both games were 2 day games and contained declarations so perhaps those declarations were illegal?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
All I can think of is that both games were 2 day games and contained declarations so perhaps those declarations were illegal?
There was confusion regarding what should be classified as a first class match. It was understood that a first class match would be of three day duration but sometimes liberties were taken.

Brodribb in his book on the history of the cricket laws states that

'historians who try to keep a statistical record of the game have in the past been frequently troubled about the status of certain matches and whether they could be regarded as first class. About matches in the future there should be no more difficulty since the 1947 ruling clarified most problems though this did not help matches in the past'

' The ruling about three days duration should be clear but there have been inconsistencies, as for examples when MCC played Cambridge University in 1938 and Oxford University in 1939 in matches allotted just two days.'​

It appears that this was done just to allow a days rest before the Varsity match which was then being given a start on Saturday. These were the last two matches in the world to have first class status although being of two days duration.

Your turn.

fredfertang

I played a few Test Matches over the years but with no great success.

After I finished playing test cricket I did achieve a first class record but that was for my batting.

Who am I?