• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NBA 07-08 season thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thoughts on the 3 team, 11 player trade between the Cavs, Bulls & Sonics?

When I first read it, I was shocked and a little disappointed at the players the Cavs picked up. However, after I simmered down a little over the weekend about it, and reading the opinions of people whose knowledge of the NBA is faaaar greater than mine, I can see the benefits of the trade. Wally to be the man to hit the outside jumpers Hughes wasn't able to do, Wallace to make the defence that much strong, Smith to put up the same numbers as Gooden, without the brain fades, and apparently people rate West as a PG (can anybody shed some light on him for me? :) ).

Time will tell I guess..

duffer

I rate Delonte a lot. Good sized guard who's an excellent defender (particularly on the perimeter), a capable and unselfish handler of the ball and good at knocking down open shots. Sort of like a poor man's Chauncey but with time on his side to be a classy player in his own right.

He's a good fit for Cleveland will help space the floor and take some of the ball handling load of LeBron. Overall I think the trade has improved you guys, although not as much as Kidd or Bibbylicious would've lifted the spirit in the locker room but you still have improved.

From a team perspective I still rate the Pistons as #1 in the East with the Celts close behind but think you've closed the gap a fair bit and gone ahead of Orlando.

X-factor is obviously that you have LeBron and hopefully the trade will help take some heat of him and keep him fresh come playoff time, because you know Detroit with their monster depth will have Chauncey, Tayshaun and Hamilton peaking when the business end arrives..

Johnners

With Pierce, KG & Allen all fit, Celtics are the no.1 team in the East imo, with the Pistons just behind them.

Re: The Cavs, Kidd would've been a huge boost to the team, but unfortunately it wasn't to be, and Bibby wasn't the type of player the Cavs were looking for. When looking for a point guard, they need a distributor, a role which I can't recall Bibby playing. It'll be interesting to see if they'll trade again next season, because whilst the current trade probably has made them stronger, the Cavs obviously still aren't strong enough to be a proper title threat (barring LeBron going absolutely nuts in every play-off game).

Ferry to pull of a miracle and bring CP3 to Cleveland imo :p *wishes*

duffer

If he had LeBron I don't think Bibby would've had any problems sharing the ball but it shouldn't matter, Delonte is a very good fit in the team. A West/Gibson backcourt sets you up for the future nicely especially with James there.

On the Celts; I think they still have it all to prove. None of the Big 3 have done anything spectacular in the playoffs yet. Pistons have all the bases covered superbly and have a ridiculous bench too. Should be a good East Finals, but it's the West which really has me drooling.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Should be a good East Finals, but it's the West which really has me drooling.
yep, incredible depth..spurs, suns(even with shaq), mavs, lakers, jazz, hornets all look really good and then to a lesser extent the nuggets and warriors are more than capable of making some serious noise come the post-season...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
With Pierce, KG & Allen all fit, Celtics are the no.1 team in the East imo, with the Pistons just behind them.
come the playoffs, if the pistons remain reasonably fresh and motivated, they will be the team to beat in the east, garnett, allen and pierce are all hungry for a ring, but they need to first prove that they can close out good teams in a 7 game playoff series...the talent is undeniably there and i think provided they all stay healthy, next season could be when these superstars make a charge at the ring..

Fusion

Global Moderator
yep, incredible depth..spurs, suns(even with shaq), mavs, lakers, jazz, hornets all look really good and then to a lesser extent the nuggets and warriors are more than capable of making some serious noise come the post-season...
Yeah the competition in the West this year is amazing. It's conceivable that a 50-win team may miss the playoffs! The Mavs are currently the 5th seed. They are 3 games out of leading the West OR 3 losses out of being the last seed!! :laugh:

duffer

Yao Ming out for the rest of the season. Rockets have a brutal schedule after their home stretch ends. Could drop like a stone unless T-Mac goes on a massive tear.

Mister Wright

Surprised the Bucks beat the Cavs with Lebron playing, although it looked like he played a lone hand scoring 35 points, with the next closest Szczerbick the next closest with 13 points.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yao Ming out for the rest of the season. Rockets have a brutal schedule after their home stretch ends. Could drop like a stone unless T-Mac goes on a massive tear.
that's it for any faint hopes that the rockets had...

duffer

Shaq really hasn't really improved the Suns as much as Kerr and D'Antoni wanted has he? Tyson Chandler really did bury him today.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Shaq really hasn't really improved the Suns as much as Kerr and D'Antoni wanted has he? Tyson Chandler really did bury him today.
nope i thought that was a bad trade for the suns, and so far i don't see anything that would change my opinion...as much as he tries, he can't run with them and when they try to accomodate him, they end up losing their rhythm...because of the sun's fast pace, shaq is unlikely to get too many touches on the offensive end and thus unlikely to affect games with his scoring(plus he continues to be the horrendous free throw shooter he always was), on the defensive end, he is too slow for the young big men of today although they will still get a few rebounds and an occasional block from him...the only good thing that has happened for them after the trade has been that stoudemire has been able to go back to his favoured power forward position and has played more freely, but they need much more than stoudemire to click if they are to be contenders in the west...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it has taken some time, but phil jackson has assembled a great team in l.a...as strong as the team is right now, when they get ariza, bynum and to a lesser extent mimh back, they would be the most complete team in the nba...a starting five of bynum, gasol, odom, bryant and fisher would compare favourably with any other team in the league right now...their bench is very deep with the notables being walton, farmar, radmanovic, vujacic, ariza, mimh & turiaf...they have the playoff and championship experience in bryant, fisher and jackson and a wealth of talent surrounding them...

Mister Wright

FFS could the Bucks please put 3 together and more importantly 1 away from home.

Got steamrolled by the Nets.

duffer

it has taken some time, but phil jackson has assembled a great team in l.a...as strong as the team is right now, when they get ariza, bynum and to a lesser extent mimh back, they would be the most complete team in the nba...a starting five of bynum, gasol, odom, bryant and fisher would compare favourably with any other team in the league right now...their bench is very deep with the notables being walton, farmar, radmanovic, vujacic, ariza, mimh & turiaf...they have the playoff and championship experience in bryant, fisher and jackson and a wealth of talent surrounding them...
To think that not so long ago Kupchak was the laughing stock of the league when he gave up a stud like caron for Kwame Brown, but he's turned it around brilliantly.

Most NBA teams are either in win-now mode or rebuild for the future mode but he's managed to get his team into a position where they can challenge for a title now and haven't mortgaged the future either. Brilliant stuff from him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Most NBA teams are either in win-now mode or rebuild for the future mode but he's managed to get his team into a position where they can challenge for a title now and haven't mortgaged the future either. Brilliant stuff from him.
yeah the gasol trade was a masterstroke and good thinking by kupchak and the lakers management not to trade bynum for someone like kidd under pressure from bryant...now they have one of the youngest teams in the nba and the oldest guy fisher is one of the most durable players in the league...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
san antonio running its by-now traditional post all-star surge right to the top of a packed western conference...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
that's it for any faint hopes that the rockets had...
well they are putting together an exceptional regular season run with this current 18* win streak...still seriously doubtful whether they can go far in the playoffs without yao...