• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon

Flem274*

123/5
Lyon probably the best offie post-Murali but ATG is definitely a stretch. We've had pretty poor spin bowling stocks in recent years which makes him look a bit better than he is.

ATG offies are guys like Gibbs, Tayfield, Laker, Saqlain etc who were all comfortably better than Lyon.

Not a diss on Lyon, who is quality, but he's a rung below ATG.
uncovered decks bro, and lyon absolutely belongs with them.

i don't think people appreciate what a miserable experience bowling finger spin in aus/nz/sa can be, and lyon does it brilliantly.

cnerd123

likes this
Lyon's real brilliance is how he adapted his bowling to succeed in Asia. Lot of bowlers are good on home decks, even if their home decks are unforgiving to them. Plenty of times we've seen bowlers go overseas in supposedly 'friendlier' conditions and mess up. But Lyon made the changes needed and that deserves a lot of credit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indian supporter in "only what happens on the subcontinent matters" mistake-riddled shocker

vcs

Lyon's real brilliance is how he adapted his bowling to succeed in Asia. Lot of bowlers are good on home decks, even if their home decks are unforgiving to them. Plenty of times we've seen bowlers go overseas in supposedly 'friendlier' conditions and mess up. But Lyon made the changes needed and that deserves a lot of credit.
He averages 30 in India with 3 5-ers, which is decent enough, but not outstanding. Middling in Sri Lanka, poor in the UAE. I guess you rate him highly in Asia based on his performances in the 2017 Bangladesh tour.

Daemon

He averages 30 in India with 3 5-ers, which is decent enough, but not outstanding. Middling in Sri Lanka, poor in the UAE. I guess you rate him highly in Asia based on his performances in the 2017 Bangladesh tour.
Nah, he was garbage in the subcontinent at the start, but figured it out after suffering at the hands of Younis/Misbah and even Dhoni. It's been evident in the recent tours.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/bowling-ugly-the-secret-for-nathan-lyon-20180924-p505mf.html

"That’s going away from what I’ve fallen in love with, with an off-spinning ball when I’m spinning up the back of the ball with that nice shape," Lyon said.

"You have to find a way to hit the stumps, and that may be bowling square or round-arm, whatever it may be. Four years ago or however long it was, they really tried to attack me, so I’m expecting pretty much the same type of batting.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/nat...an-dubai-asia-bowling-five-wickets/2018-09-30

"I've really worked hard over the last 24 months, a little bit more now on my subcontinent game," said Lyon.

"I've watched a bit more of Ashwin, I've watched a lot of myself in India and Bangladesh just to revisit what I did well over there (and) what I didn't do well … and the areas I can improve on.

vcs

Yeah he was good on the last tour TBF to him. India's standards when it comes to playing spin bowling have also dropped.

morgieb

He did struggle a bit in the UAE, but those pitches are a lot flatter and I get the feeling he lack a lot of support on the last tour.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah for this reason I was impressed by Maharaj in SL, who hasn't got much/any experience in Asia but had success straight away on similar decks to a similar batting line-up that Lyon couldn't land killer blows on

Aren't you in Geelong?
Funny, I was strictly referring to spin bowling but it reads quite damningly

cnerd123

likes this
I've been really impressed whenever I've seen Maharaj too. Rate him highly. He needs more gametime and performances before joining this convo tho.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lyon is one of those guys who is very good but sometimes doesn't perform. Which makes him a cricketer.

Spin bowlers all have holey records, even the two best ones ever.

Burgey

I've been really impressed whenever I've seen Maharaj too. Rate him highly. He needs more gametime and performances before joining this convo tho.
Yeh he looks very good based on what I’ve seen of him so far

91Jmay

International Coach
Underwood's effectiveness took a hit because of covered pitches so he'd have to be alongside Lyon, no? A rung or 2 below. Laker and Tayfield impressed in Australia as well as elsewhere. Tayfield never played West Indies, against whom Laker's record is markedly less impressive, however. And that is precisely why spinners will always remain second to fast men — because they're completely nullified by good players of spin. Imagine a world where Malcolm Marshall was hopeless against Border and Gavaskar, instead of the other way around.
This is a good point, a rare W from Trundler.