• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon v. Ravi Jadeja

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I blame it on India bowling so badly they took 12 wickets for the match and relied on two declarations to even get into a contest on day five.

But I guess I'm a bit old fashioned like that.
Man I would've lol'd so hard if we'd won it. We didn't deserve to win that test at all, but it still hurt. Vijay and kohli were so good :(

Julian87

State Captain
Jadeja econ home: 2.14
Jadeja econ away: 2.60
Lyon econ home: 3.12
Lyon econ away: 3.15

Lyon is just consistently mediocre everywhere. Jadeja beasts it at home and can bowl it dry away. Does a great job. Is a lot more valuable allround.
let's wait until Jadeja is asked to play more than 5 tests in trying away conditions hey

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jadeja plays eight tests away at an average of 40.
Lyon averages 33 at home and 30 away.
I was thinking to myself how does that work when Lyon's overall average is 33.5, & it's because you failed to point out his average in neutral conditions (UAE) is 140 in his 2 tests there :p 3 wickets for 422 runs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lyon definitely has the skills to be awesome in good conditions but somehow seems to freeze up in conditions that really do help him. Lyon is more skillful even now for me, but I get the feeling many here, including vic, are rating the Jadeja they saw 2 or 3 years ago than the one that is currently playing. He has matured as a bowler and he is now a genuinely good bowler and spinner.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lyon definitely has the skills to be awesome in good conditions but somehow seems to freeze up in conditions that really do help him. Lyon is more skillful even now for me, but I get the feeling many here, including vic, are rating the Jadeja they saw 2 or 3 years ago than the one that is currently playing. He has matured as a bowler and he is now a genuinely good bowler and spinner.
It's just hard to assess Jadeja when he hasn't played many away Tests recently. His slider is awesome, but is it going to be as effective in foreign conditions where his offie isn't biting nearly as much.

cnerd123

likes this
It's just hard to assess Jadeja when he hasn't played many away Tests recently. His slider is awesome, but is it going to be as effective in foreign conditions where his offie isn't biting nearly as much.
Define that word

All his away tests to date he's been used primarily to hold up and end and provide control. He has been very effective in that regard. I don't think that will change in future tours.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Define that word

All his away tests to date he's been used primarily to hold up and end and provide control. He has been very effective in that regard. I don't think that will change in future tours.
I'm defining it in reference to his biggest "weapon", IMO, in the subcontinent at the moment.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm defining it in reference to his biggest "weapon", IMO, in the subcontinent at the moment.
Yea I get that, but again effective in taking wickets or just stifling runs? Because he has proven to be very capable of the latter, regardless of conditions or formats. And as long as he can keep that up, and continues to dominate at home, then overall I think he serves more utility, and is thus a better bowler, than Nathan Lyon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yea I get that, but again effective in taking wickets or just stifling runs? Because he has proven to be very capable of the latter, regardless of conditions or formats. And as long as he can keep that up, and continues to dominate at home, then overall I think he serves more utility, and is thus a better bowler, than Nathan Lyon.
I'm saying that I don't think his slider will be that effective, as the variation between that and his stock ball is massively reduced in less spin friendly conditions. It's a bloody good slider/arm ball, but his stock ball will be attacking the front pad more than the outside edge on most occasions, so it's harder for the variation to slide through onto pad.

If you're asking whether he can be effective overseas, and I think he probably can be, but for one I'm not sure if he'll end up playing much away from the subcontinent if India picks a three man pace attack; is Ashwin/wicketkeeper at 6 practical away from home?

cnerd123

likes this
We'll have to see next time India tours. I hope they stick with the 5 match attack with Ashwin at 6. I believe Kohli is a big fan of 5 bowlers in general. But if not, then yea Jadeja isn't going to get many opportunities to bowl overseas anyways.

cnerd123

likes this
**** Lyon, **** Spikey, and 10/10 Bordering by Teja by creating this thread. Compensates for costing Rahul the 200.