• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali The Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Which of the following options do you think is the most appropriate rank for Murali

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
let me take a shot at this:

top 10 asian batsmen in tests

tendulkar
gavaskar
dravid
miandad
sangakara
sehwag
inzamam
jayawardane
hazare
hanif

top 10 asian bowlers in tests

muralitharan
imran
akram
waqar
fazal
kapil
gupte
chandra
bedi
kumble

top wicket keeper/batsmen in tests

sangakara
dhoni
kirmani
wasim bari

top skippers in tests

imran
dhoni
pataudi
ganguly
jayawardane

top 5 test cricketers overall

imran
murali
tendulkar
gavaskar
kapil

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
top 10 asian batsmen in ODIs

tendulkar
dhoni
anwar
jayasuriya
de silva
ganguly
inzamam
miandad
yuvaraj
sehwag

top 10 ODI bowlers from asia

akram
waqar
saqlain
murali
imran
vaas
akhthar
kapil
qadir
zaheer

top wk batsmen from asia in ODIs

dhoni
sangakara

top asian captains in ODIs

imran
dhoni
ganguly
ranatunga
akram

best asian ODI cricketers

tendulkar
akram
dhoni
jayasuriya
kapil

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I always feel sad when Kumble gets underrated one of the most brutal match winners at home, also Vaas is another guy who stays under the radar.

bagapath

International Captain
here are the best cricketers in both formats

Tests:

imran
murali
tendulkar
gavaskar
kapil

ODIs:

tendulkar
akram
dhoni
jayasuriya
kapil

based on that it is possible to rank the top 6 asian cricketers in the following order.

tendulkar
imran
murali
gavaskar
kapil
akram

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
you rate pataudi as a better skipper than Ganguly??? TBF I don't know much about Pataudi but certainly didn't think he was rated that highly as a skipper

bagapath

International Captain
you rate pataudi as a better skipper than Ganguly??? TBF I don't know much about Pataudi but certainly didn't think he was rated that highly as a skipper
Oh yeah. He was. A great strategist and a master in managing different personalities with ease, pataudi would have led india to more wins with better teams than the above avg teams he marshaled.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
here are the best cricketers in both formats

Tests:

imran
murali
tendulkar
gavaskar
kapil

ODIs:

tendulkar
akram
dhoni
jayasuriya
kapil

based on that it is possible to rank the top 6 asian cricketers in the following order.

tendulkar
imran
murali
gavaskar
kapil
akram
Murali is amazing in ODIs, would remove Dhoni from the best ODI cricketers list (far too soon for him) and put Murali in 3rd. Would certainly expect him to displace Kapil by the time he's done though, and maybe Sanath.

smash84

The Tiger King
Murali is amazing in ODIs, would remove Dhoni from the best ODI cricketers list (far too soon for him) and put Murali in 3rd. Would certainly expect him to displace Kapil by the time he's done though, and maybe Sanath.
awta

bagapath

International Captain
A reliable wk, winning skipper + a late order batter averaging 48 with 89 SR is certainly rarer than a great spinner. MS has achieved enough in 50-50 cricket, IMO, to be up there.

Last edited:

Maximus0723

State Regular
Oh yeah. He was. A great strategist and a master in managing different personalities with ease, pataudi would have led india to more wins with better teams than the above avg teams he marshaled.
I have heard lots of great things about Tiger from my folks. One thing I got out of it was that he was offensive minded unlike other Indian skippers.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Bagapath, you are really underrating 530+ ODI wickets with ER of under 4 playing right through the era when bat became more and more dominant over the ball. That's just phenomenal.

bagapath

International Captain
Bagapath, you are really underrating 530+ ODI wickets with ER of under 4 playing right through the era when bat became more and more dominant over the ball. That's just phenomenal.
He is awesome indeed. But my first choice spinner from asia in 50 over cricket is saqlain. Not able to rank murali above him even though the gap between them is very marginal.

smash84

The Tiger King
He is awesome indeed. But my first choice spinner from asia in 50 over cricket is saqlain. Not able to rank murali above him even though the gap between them is very marginal.
I think Murali trumps Saqlain in longevity. Saqlain was special for a while but then withered away. Murali outlasts him.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's easy to take it for granted those momentous achievements when they come from a champion who we get used to seeing do extra-ordinary things as a routine. Happens with Tendulkar's achievements too (was surprised how his 200* was thought be a no contest to Razzaq's violent hundred last year). Murali's wicket tally, combined with that ER, is so HUGE that it is pointless to even start an argument.

bagapath

International Captain
I think Murali trumps Saqlain in longevity. Saqlain was special for a while but then withered away. Murali outlasts him.
I guess you are right. May be I am basing everything on saqlain's peak alone.

This change brings murali in place of dhoni in the ODI rankings at number 3, I agree.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I guess you are right. May be I am basing everything on saqlain's peak alone.

This change brings murali in place of dhoni in the ODI rankings at number 3, I agree.
Good good :)

At this best, Saqlain was quite good. Although Reliance ICC Player Rankings disagrees, considering that he reached 100 wickets (also 150,200?) faster than anyone, he can be regarded as having a better peak than Murali.

Last edited:

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sachin stands alone on the top, imo. We might not have another like him ever.

Don>Daylight>Sachin>some more Daylight>others.

Murali will always have an asterisk against his name due to his illegal action. The rules have now been changed for him, and all that is fine, but I wouldnt rate him top of the heap due to that reason.
The ppl on the top have to be clean on ALL counts since there are all sorts of talented and overachievers we are looking at here.