• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali bowling with a astraight arm

PY

International Coach
If you actually look at the picture, it appears straight from the batsman's perspective but if you looked at it side-on it could still be bent.

In fact in all likelihood it is still bent as the shadow on the picture makes it look like the arm isn't fully extended.

However, if this UWA guy says the doosra is dodgy then it has to be investigated. Bit strange he has decided to say this when Sri Lanka are playing Australia and not when they played England. ;)

hey PY are you looking at it witha 400x microscope or something because i dont see no shadow and it looks dead straight to me

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The picture is just an illusion because I'm pretty sure it will be bent from another point of view, however that UWA professor has got me interested. I still don't believe he chucks but if the UWA professor has his doubts then it should be checked out.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
honestly, its bent. you need to see it from the side on angle, which from the little bit that you can see looks as if it would be bent. just a opticle illusion i think.

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:
If you actually look at the picture, it appears straight from the batsman's perspective but if you looked at it side-on it could still be bent.

In fact in all likelihood it is still bent as the shadow on the picture makes it look like the arm isn't fully extended.

However, if this UWA guy says the doosra is dodgy then it has to be investigated. Bit strange he has decided to say this when Sri Lanka are playing Australia and not when they played England. ;)
What a coincidence.

tooextracool

International Coach
pontingrulz said:
I have the proof and evidence now that shows that Murilithiran is full of S*** about not being able to straigten his arm. here is Murali "bowling". yes thats right bowling his doosra
http://aus.cricinfo.com/perl/picture.cgi/038358
this is quite ridiculous because it has already been established that murali bowls with a bent arm . the rule for chucking states that u are allowed to bowl with a bent arm as long as it never straightens during the action, if that is the case with murali then he does not chuck.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/cricket/features/newsid_2373000/2373603.stm
...but i think that rule needs to be changed because that bent arm action gives him an unfair advantage.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So one angle is all you need, huh? And I might add, it's a bit nuts to say "Okay, on almost every other angle his arm is bent but one THIS one it MIGHT be straight. Well, that's proof enough for me!!!!!!!!!!"

Yup, I've done ONE test on this new drug and it didn't cause any problems in rats so it's therefore PERFECTLY SAFE. I think I'll call it Thalydomide...............

Kenny

U19 Debutant
One could be forgiven for thinking that Mr.Pickup has a vested interest in Murali being forever free of any scrutiny......what, is he just cleared forever?

That 3rd photo in the set of three is a beauty......his arm is really bent there - does anyone believe it stayed that bent right thru delivery? :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pontingrulz said:
I have the proof and evidence now that shows that Murilithiran is full of S*** about not being able to straigten his arm.
His arm's always looked like that from front on.

"Proof" would be a 360 degrees view, not from one angle.

Unless someone has broken and reset his arm, it is physically impossible for him to straighten it.

So who's the one who's full of that Brown substance?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
That 3rd photo in the set of three is a beauty......his arm is really bent there - does anyone believe it stayed that bent right thru delivery? :lol:
Yes, seeing as that's it at the extent of it's straightness.

PY

International Coach
pontingrulz said:
hey PY are you looking at it witha 400x microscope or something because i dont see no shadow and it looks dead straight to me
How can you say that arm is straight when you can't even see the elbow? It is obscured by the shadow created by his shirt sleeve.

You can be sarcastic as you like but doesn't really help your point. :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kenny said:
One could be forgiven for thinking that Mr.Pickup has a vested interest in Murali being forever free of any scrutiny......what, is he just cleared forever?
No, but when people post photos and claim them to be something they aren't, I will complain.

Well, given that it's the same in each photo...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really fail to believe that anyone can think that this angle can show that his arm is straight.
It is possible to make any arm look 180 degrees straight or less if you look at it from the right point at the right angle.
You need 360degree coverage to show anything about sinuosity. And that's not easy to get hold of.
With regrard to Mr. Elliott, I can understand his concerns but he seems to have made one crucial - and rather bizarre - error. He appears to have classified Murali a "fingerspinner". :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Since the picture is taken from pretty much straight on and his arm is facing the opposite way to his normal delivery. You are seeing a picture of an arm from front-ways and seeing his elbow from that angle makes it impossible to tell if it's bent or not, except for the tell tale signs, where his elbow goes in at the sides showing it is in fact bent...