• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali bowling with a astraight arm

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
another thread about the supposed chucker........i should be giving up on the argument by now and yet because i like Murali so much i'm persuaded to read the posts and defend.

Mr. Pontingrulz.........you have amazed me at the consistency of your sarcastic and substance lacking posts.

murali's bent arm excuse is not full s**t and for that matter it's not an excuse either.....it's a part of life for him.....there's no other solution for it!
your so called evidence is what's full of s**t as it shows nothing but one angle where his arm looks straight and therefore according to you he chucks!!.......but i guess that's what the other ppl in this thread have been TRYING to tell you.

if you think that this post is being sarcastic, it's not.....i'm merely being blunt.

So step outside of your blissful ignorance and once you have something that you can honestly call evidence and a reasonable justification, come back to us for "show and tell"!!!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
So one angle is all you need, huh? And I might add, it's a bit nuts to say "Okay, on almost every other angle his arm is bent but one THIS one it MIGHT be straight. Well, that's proof enough for me!!!!!!!!!!"

Yup, I've done ONE test on this new drug and it didn't cause any problems in rats so it's therefore PERFECTLY SAFE. I think I'll call it Thalydomide...............
These two arguments are not similar in any way. One argues for possibility, the other argues for no exception. Bad analogy.

Having said that though, even though I do think that Murali does throw specific deliveries, to my eyes, in the original picture in this thread, his arm looks bent.

Sorry age master but the three pictures you have shown are of murali bowling his stock delivery. the picture i posted is murali bowling his doosra. so once again no comparrison. he might have been accustomed to bowling his offie with a bent arm and has spent years developing his doosra. which he bowls with a straight arm. Mr Elliot an expert in the feild has his doubts about the doora being legal and so do i and many other people

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
pontingrulz said:
Sorry age master but the three pictures you have shown are of murali bowling his stock delivery. the picture i posted is murali bowling his doosra. so once again no comparrison. he might have been accustomed to bowling his offie with a bent arm and has spent years developing his doosra. which he bowls with a straight arm. Mr Elliot an expert in the feild has his doubts about the doora being legal and so do i and many other people
When someone brings out such a totally different delivery it's not uncommon for people to be wary of it. From what I've read all Mr Elliot has said is that the mere mention of Murali's new delivery considering all the variables that need to take place so that he could bowl it, just make him wary, he has never once said Murali chucks it. To be fair, no-one has any proof he does anyway and from what I've seen his partially bent elbow helps him out with turning the ball the other way, because, if most people did it, they would chuck, but he doesn't because his elbow goes as far as it can.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pontingrulz said:
his doosra. which he bowls with a straight arm.
The same arm that physically cannot be straightened or does he borrow a false arm from the dressing room?

If the latter then it's not going to be a surprise when he bowls a doosra, since the whole 3rd Arm would be a bit of a giveaway!

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
The same arm that physically cannot be straightened or does he borrow a false arm from the dressing room?

If the latter then it's not going to be a surprise when he bowls a doosra, since the whole 3rd Arm would be a bit of a giveaway!
This, IMO, is the most startling aspect of Elliot's comments. Because, what it means is that at least one member of the team that originally cleared Murali isn't completely convinced that he actually has a congenital deformity that prevents the elbow from straightening. Because if he did, it wouldn't matter what new delivery Murali came up with - obviously Murali couldn't be throwing it, because it would be impossible.

So it's interesting - regardless of whether Murali actually chucks or not, I'd be surprised if Elliot hasn't already been reprimanded by the ICC. If not, it's a little suggestive.

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
This, IMO, is the most startling aspect of Elliot's comments. Because, what it means is that at least one member of the team that originally cleared Murali isn't completely convinced that he actually has a congenital deformity that prevents the elbow from straightening. Because if he did, it wouldn't matter what new delivery Murali came up with - obviously Murali couldn't be throwing it, because it would be impossible.

So it's interesting - regardless of whether Murali actually chucks or not, I'd be surprised if Elliot hasn't already been reprimanded by the ICC. If not, it's a little suggestive.
It could just mean that Murali has a different arm position for that specific delivery which has not got his arm at full stretch (however much that is).

Although I do agree that it is strange that there has been no comment from the ICC thus far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can we just clear this up:
Murali cannot straighten his arm to more than about 165-170 degrees. That is a medical fact, and no misleading pictures are going to change that. Doctors have pronounced this, and the sooner people stop trying to argue that it is untrue the better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But Richard, you've ignored the false arm theory - it's obvious that that is how he straightens his arm!!!

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
But Richard, you've ignored the false arm theory - it's obvious that that is how he straightens his arm!!!
i have heard he inserts a small spring into his elbow,which aids his bowling. The spring was designed by a long lost Amazonian tribe three thousand years ago, to help them bend their arms around so that they could grab hands full of ants from nest under ground...its true i tell you:D :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Swervy said:
i have heard he inserts a small spring into his elbow,which aids his bowling. The spring was designed by a long lost Amazonian tribe three thousand years ago, to help them bend their arms around so that they could grab hands full of ants from nest under ground...its true i tell you:D :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Tsk, tsk...
The cheating...
:P :P

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Swervy said:
LOL classic! :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For all of you "See - I told you Murali's a chucker. Look. Here's a photograph of him which shows the arm perfectly straight. Ergo, he straightens it. Therefore, he chucks." merchants - here's an explanation why one photograph taken totally out of context proves nothing, zip, nada.

Take a piece of wire - about a foot long should suffice. Kink it in the middle around, say, 90 degrees - ensure that the two 'sections' are reasonably straight, though.

Hold the wire at one end with the other end pointing directly up towards you. See? The whole piece of wire looks straight. Now twizzle it between finger and thumb slowly until the other end has rotated 90 degrees. Oh, look now - a right-angle. Keep rotating - oh, straight again. The wire 'chucks'.

Now go back and look at the doosra picture again, bearing in mind the wire 'experiment', but don't come back until you've a few others from different angles.

Saying that, sure, investigate Murali again - but don't condemn him prematurely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hey ppl, I'm back!
And sorry to go digging-up a few threads (especially this one which has changed enormously in context), but this last post illustrates perfectly what I have tried to say many times - get enough angles, you can make a hell of a lot of optical illusions.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Where on earth did you get to ?

Thought you'd been abducted or skipped the country.....

Welcome back