• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali bowling with a astraight arm

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Stand with your right hand raised above your head and in front of you with the palm facing you.

Now flex (bend at elbow) and unflex your right arm. This just moves the upper part of your arm (from elbow to hand) towards you or away from you.

Looked at by some one standing right opposite you and facing you, the bend at your elbow can not be seen.

Thats all this picture shows and this exactly how he bowls the doosara with the palm facing himself and the back of the hand facing the batsman and then he flicks the hand forward from the wrist (and apparently from the elbow) towards the batsman, with the palm ending up facing the sky.

This arm is not straight, its just the angle that makes it appear so.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Murali the cheat!

How long are you people going to keep defending Murali to the detriment of cricket? I think everyone of you know that he bowls with a bent arm that straightens on delivery.

The guy is a damn cheat! He's like Carl Lewis; Carl tested positive for steroids three times during his career by the US Athletics Assn but they didn't report him because he was winning gold medals at the olympics.

Deja moo

International Captain
The two guys who posted above are real DUMBOs !

Originally posted by Will Scarlet:I think everyone of you know that he bowls with a bent arm that straightens on delivery
Oh yea? prove it .Unless you mention the words " only the doosra is illegal", youre an ass.

originally posted by MOx Pearl:If he cant straighten his arm then he should not be playing cricket
Great. So according to Will Scarlet , if Murali straightens his arm , he cant play cricket.According to Mox Pearl , if Murali cant straighten his arm , he cant play cricket.

I suggest the two of you get a room and a copy of the laws of cricket , stay in there the whole night , and come out only the next day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My fault (as usual) for digging-up the thread.
You're always going to get some of it, I didn't even bother looking for "see, Murali's other one is illegal" threads, surely there must have been about 50 somewhere?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Sorry to resurrect this again (though I'm sure it'll be back on the front page when footage of Murali's recent demo is screened during England-Windies), but just wondered whether anyone else read Murali's interview in yesterday's Observer.

It was very interesting. Among other things, he explains that the turn he gets is largely generated by his shoulder and that he can even get spin bowling a snooker ball on glass. Most impressive, as I think Darth Vader once said (in a slightly different context and, perhaps - joker that he was - somewhat ironically).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However much turn is due to his shoulder, the fact is he couldn't do it without his double-jointed wrist.
I highly doubt, however, that the fact that he cannot straighten his arm fully has any impact on the amount he can spin the ball, either way.
Just like plenty of other bowlers, he's just developed an alternative delivery without realising it happens to be a chuck.
And as far as I remember the "Impressive"... "most impressive" wasn't sarcastic at all.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
You know what's even better, if murali was an aussie you wouldn't hear a f***ing thing. It's the we aussies are, I think it was former aussie test player barry jarman that said: "If any cricket lover says Murali doesn't chuck then they don't know a thing about cricket"
All the **** murali has had poured on him, he deserves to get the world record.
that's my opinion anyway

Darky

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The David Lloyd factor:
After the Oval Test of August 1998, England coach Lloyd receives a serious reprimand for the second major faux pas with his "I have my opinions which I have made known to the authorities" to follow the famous "we flippin' murdered 'em".
A few months later, Lloyd's beloved Lancashire sign Muralitharan. Next season, Lloyd is calling Murali "one of the most gifted bowlers to play the game".
Home bias is a common thing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dont really care any more if Murali has been chucking or not...

The fact is in Zimbabwe he was told to stop bowling his doosra, and on numerous occasions he continued to do so

In my eyes, this makes him an arrogant little cheat.. At the moment I don't hold any cricketer in a lower regard, especially after his whiny little excuses for not touring Australia.. Sportsmen are heckled everywhere, and it's not like Cairns and Darwin have tens of thousands watching... Still he has got his 500 odd wickets, so he is happy at least... Disgusting..

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
And as far as I remember the "Impressive"... "most impressive" wasn't sarcastic at all.
You're probably right. Ages since I watched it. I thought it might have been during/before his fight with Kenobi in the first film (part IV) in which case, as he was confident of havind old Ben's number, it may have been a touch ironic.

I'm now thinking though, it could have been before/during his scrap with Luke in Return of the Jedi, in which case he was probably genuinely impressed.

JBH001

International Regular
It was in Ep 5 - The Empire Strikes Back - when Luke fights Darth on Cloud City.
And it was not sarcastic - Darth was genuinely impressed, and surprised, by his sons ability.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
JBH001 said:
It was in Ep 5 - The Empire Strikes Back - when Luke fights Darth on Cloud City.
And it was not sarcastic - Darth was genuinely impressed, and surprised, by his sons ability.
That's right, just checked with a mate - the world's (or at least Rotherham's) foremost Star Wars expert - and Darth's comment related to Luke jumping out of the carbon freeze chamber during the above-quoted fight.

Anyway, getting back to the thread. That Murali - is he a chucker or what...?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:

The fact is in Zimbabwe he was told to stop bowling his doosra, and on numerous occasions he continued to do so

In my eyes, this makes him an arrogant little cheat.. At the moment I don't hold any cricketer in a lower regard, especially after his whiny little excuses for not touring Australia.. Sportsmen are heckled everywhere, and it's not like Cairns and Darwin have tens of thousands watching... Still he has got his 500 odd wickets, so he is happy at least... Disgusting..
This is the interesting part.
The fact is, it has been proven that Murali's wrong-un is an illegal delivery. This is not unusual - plenty of bowlers develop variant deliveries without realising it happens to be illegal - but once it has been proven as such he should not bowl it before rectifying the situation.
As far as I'm aware Murali has not done any remedial work on his wrong-un.
This makes it perfectly fair to call him a cheat - he knows that he is bowling an illegal delivery and, seemingly, makes no apologies for doing so.
Hitherto I have always defended his integrity but there is no ground on which for doing such as long as he is bowling his wrong-un without it being cleared. What baffles me is that it can't possibly be difficult to do a bit of practice and turn an illegal delivery into a legal one.
And, frankly, he has a responsibility to cricket to do such and stop those generalisers who can otherwise claim "it's not possible to bowl a leg-break and an off-break with the same action".

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
pontingrulz said:
I have the proof and evidence now that shows that Murilithiran is full of S*** about not being able to straigten his arm. here is Murali "bowling". yes thats right bowling his doosra
http://aus.cricinfo.com/perl/picture.cgi/038358

This here is a load of rubbish. murali just did a documentary for channel 4 with arm brace that was bent and it was prven that with the brace on he couldnt straighten his arm. Thats prrof beyond doubt.

if you take a close look at the picture its a picture of the back of his arm! hence the optical illusion that it looks straight. usually when a bowler bowls you cannot see his elbow straght on as most bowlers bowls side on. in this pic murali's elbow is facing right down the pitch.

and finally, i have been lucky enough to meet murali in sri lanka and play a game of pool with him as dav whatmores' daughter alex whatmore is a close friend of mine. and i myself have physicall tried to straighten murali's arm but it will not.

Last edited:

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Will Scarlet said:
How long are you people going to keep defending Murali to the detriment of cricket? I think everyone of you know that he bowls with a bent arm that straightens on delivery.

The guy is a damn cheat! He's like Carl Lewis; Carl tested positive for steroids three times during his career by the US Athletics Assn but they didn't report him because he was winning gold medals at the olympics.
bud you need to use the part of that body called the brain. carl lewis took sterioids, he is a cheat. but to call murali cheat because of birth deformity is to call a handicapped boy in a wheel chair a cheat cause he is too lazy to walk!

use your head man! if without doubt murali does chuck then indeed the world and the relevant authorities would have taken appropriate action! the speculation coming out now is because "noone can for certain say he chucks!!" he does not chuck it appears so and many many experiments have been done to prove this!
get your hands on the channel 4 documentary and believe what most exxperts and pundits of the game say today, they indeed to speak the truth when they talk about murali's action as legal and they do indeed speak the truth when they claim that he has a bent arm, i have seen his bent arm!

read this!

http://sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...h07.xml&sSheet=/sport/2004/07/07/ixcrick.html

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:

If you read the article about how murali continued to bowl his doosra even when the ICC asked him not to do so, then u surely missed the other article that also said the cricket board of sri lanka had not officially passed on the icc's word to murali, you must know that murali does not have the time that you and i have to sit on a PC and read every article cricinfo puts out, i doubt he even has time to read the papers!
HIs authority is his cricket board, he made a press statement that the the media had said that the ICC had asked him to stop bowling it but the cricket board of sri lanka had mentioned nothing of it., as soon as the cricket board mentioned it to him he stopped bopwling it! ask your self "why does murali not bowl it now??" if he is a cheat and wants to continue bowling it he should have done so?? he didnt bowl it during the later partt of the zim. series bro?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He bowled it before the instruction to not bowl it came into place (even though it had been announced)

He cannot be faulted from a professional point of view for that, even if in true sporting terms he has gone a little against the grain.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
try this!

bend ur arm stand in the same stance as murali is in the pic and face a mirror with ur elbow facing the mirror, does your bent arm not look straight iwhen you look at it straght on?