• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Move over Gillchrist....

the_pakalypse

Cricket Spectator
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Ha..... Pakistan doesn't have the balls to stop the Indian batting Gods. Sehwag has nearly 99 ave against Pakistan :p , Dravid plays Pak bowlers like they were of a club team, Dhoni has shown what he's capable of in the last match.

Wait till Dhoni strikes back again, and prove you guys dead wrong.
This is just so ironic, today Dravid had no idea how to play Sami's bouncer. He looked lost, and ended up getting caught by Younis Khan...Dhoni got 28, decent, but he was required to stay at the wicket with Dravid.. :p

Thanks to Rajeev

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The amount of talent he has to average in the mid30s on featherbed Indian pitches against substandard medium pacers and average spinners?
Not to mention that he plays in the tier II........ I don't even see him as a test match keeper for India. Give me Kaarthick over him anyday.... In ODIs, his style will work perfectly. I am not saying he does not have the talent to make it big in tests, but his style of play will be hit/miss, which is not India want. Already we have one in Sehwag and another (although it is not so these days) in Laxman..... Kaarthick looks technically better equipped as both a batter and a keeper.

masterblaster

International Captain
honestbharani said:
Not to mention that he plays in the tier II........ I don't even see him as a test match keeper for India. Give me Kaarthick over him anyday.... In ODIs, his style will work perfectly. I am not saying he does not have the talent to make it big in tests, but his style of play will be hit/miss, which is not India want. Already we have one in Sehwag and another (although it is not so these days) in Laxman..... Kaarthick looks technically better equipped as both a batter and a keeper.
I'll agree with that. Although nothing would please me more than Dhoni achieving consistent results in ODI cricket and then forcing his way into the test side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
masterblaster said:
I'll agree with that. Although nothing would please me more than Dhoni achieving consistent results in ODI cricket and then forcing his way into the test side.
It is not so bad to have different keepers in ODIs and Tests. The purists might find it wrong, but I think it might work out great for India. We need a hard hitter in the side, either at no.3 or no.7 and Dhoni fits that bill, plus his glove work is pretty good. And we need a consistent batter/Keeper in tests and Kaarthick has shown potential in both departments. Like I said, this may be a first (although there was a time when Australia picked Healy for tests and Gilly for ODIs) but it could work out great.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, pick Dhoni for ODIs and Kaarthick for Tests as long as neither of them mess up big time in the chances they get. That is consistent selection, in my book. But I am not sure if Sourav would let that happen.... He has often shown that he doesn't like/rate Kaarthick. Even after he had that matchwinning partnership with Dravid, Sourav mentioned Parthiv Patel in an interview when he was asked specifically about Kaarthick.

deeps

International 12th Man
i think patel is ganguly's lovechild or something. He has such a big infactuation with him. Absolutely no talent as a wicket keeper. However, if ganguly isn't careful, patel may replace ganguly as a pure batsman in the side :P

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The amount of talent he has to average in the mid30s on featherbed Indian pitches against substandard medium pacers and average spinners?
Didn't knew ppl have started judging a player on the base of stats when the guy has played just 3-4 matches 8-)

honestbharani said:
yeah, pick Dhoni for ODIs and Kaarthick for Tests as long as neither of them mess up big time in the chances they get. That is consistent selection, in my book. But I am not sure if Sourav would let that happen.... He has often shown that he doesn't like/rate Kaarthick. Even after he had that matchwinning partnership with Dravid, Sourav mentioned Parthiv Patel in an interview when he was asked specifically about Kaarthick.
I believe that Dhoni will be given a chance at test level and i firmly believe that he will prove all his critics dead wrong

Blaze

Banned
GladiatrsInBlue said:
I believe that Dhoni will be given a chance at test level and i firmly believe that he will prove all his critics dead wrong

No one is really criticising him.. he is just unproven

Blaze

Banned
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Didn't knew ppl have started judging a player on the base of stats when the guy has played just 3-4 matches 8-)

Didn't know you were supposed to lord players as the greatest thing since sliced bread after one decent performance

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Didn't know you were supposed to lord players as the greatest thing since sliced bread after one decent performance
Of course we are. Dhoni is better than Gilchrist after one innings, and Clarke was superior to Bradman after his hundred in Bangalore. His average was even better!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
GladiatrsInBlue said:
You're serious? LOL.
You called him the next Gilchrist after 5 ODIs!
I stated facts based on his 34 FC matches.

mofo123

U19 12th Man
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Dhoni is here :) .

Yes this guy is a dynamite, someone who has the potential to re-write cricket books. I always knew the guy had tremendous potential, but now i'm convinced that the guy is already a class act.

With Sehwag and Dhoni at the crease, India will have potentially the most destrutive players on the pitch in the history of the game.I think Gilli will realise when he's keeping wkts while Dhoni is batting that gilli is no longer the best.Gillchrist was and still is a great great player, but in Dhoni we now have a player that has the potential to even overshadow Gillchrist.
sad, just sad! one match and every1 is so up him they can see through his nose...pity uve built him up so much now if he fails its u whos gonna get hurt... :unsure: :cool2:

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
The problem is that so many Indian cricketers have been wrapped as the next big thing only to dissapear totally 3 years later.

There is a serious management problem in Indian cricket and has been for a long time.

masterblaster

International Captain
But I dont believe the players or coach bill them up as 'the next big thing'. Its the fans (like GladiatorsInBlue) who just dont have foresight and the stupid Indian press who build these players up to the moon.

Several Indian fans on this board know better.....

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Black Thunder said:
The problem is that so many Indian cricketers have been wrapped as the next big thing only to dissapear totally 3 years later.
Or even the next day... :wacko: