• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

Flem274*

123/5
Pant has arguably done enough incredible things already to make an Indian all time side. We know Dhoni is usually going to disappoint away from home, so there's probably enough evidence already to take the chance on Pant.

I don't have a strong opinion on Engineer though because I don't know enough to comment except that he was a very good player. Engineer could well be the answer.

Gob

International Coach
Pant has arguably done enough incredible things already to make an Indian all time side. We know Dhoni is usually going to disappoint away from home, so there's probably enough evidence already to take the chance on Pant.

I don't have a strong opinion on Engineer though because I don't know enough to comment except that he was a very good player. Engineer could well be the answer.
Need more clarifications (structural, MEP, software etc)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pant being called overrated is based on strawmanning that people call him an ATG. He is rated perfectly accurately as a player with great talent who's started his career superbly. It says something about how good he's been that you remove the two countries he's performed best in and he still averages 31, an average most decent wicket keeper bats would take in such a bowler friendly era.

OverratedSanity

Dhoni never had the kind of overseas performances Pant has produced the last few years. I'd definitely take Pant over him as a batsman. Dhoni's keeping in tests wasn't really that much better to balance things out overall either. Engineer is a good nerd pick but he was an opener.

Gob

International Coach
Pant being called overrated is based on strawmanning that people call him an ATG. He is rated perfectly accurately as a player with great talent who's started his career superbly. It says something about how good he's been that you remove the two countries he's performed best in and he still averages 31, an average most decent wicket keeper bats would take in such a bowler friendly era.
Think he needs to get better at playing through the off side in more orthodox fashion. Especially driving

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Yea and it's important to note that while his averages may not be particularly high in those other countries, he's had some very crucial contributions. NZ is the only place he's truly failed.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Think he needs to get better at playing through the off side in more orthodox fashion. Especially driving
nah his offside play is fine, arguably more orthodox and technically solid. have seen him play plenty of crispy cuts and drives with proper base. it’s his funky legside play and down straight that makes him look like a meme

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Pant being considered an atg has more to do with India having very less great keeping options in their history barring Engineer and Dhoni. his averages do him no justice too, he’s often walked in when the side is in the middle of a collapse and has to score quickly to up the run rate without losing his wicket early and exposing a tail that until recently didn’t know to hold a bat which also means he was forced to bat in a less than ideal manner. i even remember a match when Pant missed out on a 100 because three bowlers got dismissed in succession after he took a single

anil1405

International Captain
20 years down the line people will look at Pant's record and say...

..."What's the big deal, he played alongside Kohli, Pujara and co. And he lacked a technique for xyz conditions."

But the reality is he is the one who is carrying a fragile middle order for a good 2+ years now.

trundler

20 years down the line people will look at Pant's record and say...

..."What's the big deal, he played alongside Kohli, Pujara and co. And he lacked a technique for xyz conditions."

But the reality is he is the one who is carrying a fragile middle order for a good 2+ years now.
Kohli, Pujara and co have averaged 20 whilst playing with him which will be reflected in yearly averages for anyone willing to fact check that claim.

Flem274*

123/5
i've been fiddling around with a bit of a brute force stats anal-sis and holy **** does richard hadlee get some cheap first glance longevity points.

7 of his career years he played 4 tests or less.

i don't think he's overrated ftr but international workloads were a lot lighter back then. marshall gets a gentler time of it too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i've been fiddling around with a bit of a brute force stats anal-sis and holy **** does richard hadlee get some cheap first glance longevity points.

7 of his career years he played 4 tests or less.

i don't think he's overrated ftr but international workloads were a lot lighter back then. marshall gets a gentler time of it too.
They played loads of FC cricket though. Its not an apples to apples thing.

peterhrt

U19 Debutant
Indian posters will know more but the best Indian keeper to spin, according to his teammates and various observers since, was reckoned to be Kirmani. He had the odd lapse of form and was occasionally dropped.

India's first Test keeper, Navle, was highly regarded in England. Hobbs placed him in the Oldfield class. In those days wicket-keepers were less inclined to be judged by their batting.

Gob

International Coach
nah his offside play is fine, arguably more orthodox and technically solid. have seen him play plenty of crispy cuts and drives with proper base. it’s his funky legside play and down straight that makes him look like a meme
Cut shot is good but don't like the way he drives at all. Very careless