• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

Socerer 01

International Captain
in fact, Kapil’s only played single digit no of matches with 3 of the spin quartet. that’s even worse :laugh:

Venkataraghavan played 20 matches with him but he was nothing good in them. Doshi is fair, he did play 33 matches and was decent but Gavaskar put an end to his career soon enough

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why did Gavaskar end Doshi’s career? He toured here in 1980/81 iirc and bowled decently (that’s my memory of him anyway, cbf looking up his numbers).

srbhkshk

International Captain
Why did Gavaskar end Doshi’s career? He toured here in 1980/81 iirc and bowled decently (that’s my memory of him anyway, cbf looking up his numbers).
It was a Bombay lobby thing afaik, Doshi was from the east zone / Bengal and as such faced the tyranny of Bombay lobby which gavaskar was sort of the leader of at the time. He kept favoring Shastri over him regardless of Doshi bowling well or not. Players from north had Kapil to support them but Doshi didn't really have anyone to look out after him. I don't know enough to say whether Gavaskar was right in favoring Shastri over him on an objective level (given the all-round stuff from Shastri, he was definitely a worse bowler) but at the very least he was needlessly harsh about Doshi's performances.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I completely forgot Kapil and Kumble had overlapping careers at all, 17 tests is really quite surprising to me

Feel like two players from completely different eras imo
The passing of the mantle from when India weren't that great to when they were. Kumble WAG

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Stellar performances by Rishabh Pant, both at home and in Australia, have some rating him as an ATG. There is no doubt he is a capable 'keeper and a more than useful batsman but he has played almost half (15) of his 33 Tests in India and Australia where he hjs earned his reputation. In other countries his batting average, while fine for a 'keeper, is 31.5 .
Looking beyond Tests, his ODI performances (Ave 34.6 sr 106.7) in 30 matches and his T20I stats (Ave 22.4 sr 126.7) in 66 matches are far from sensational.
A very good player who is, IMO, over-rated in some quarters.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Stellar performances by Rishabh Pant, both at home and in Australia, have some rating him as an ATG. There is no doubt he is a capable 'keeper and a more than useful batsman but he has played almost half (15) of his 33 Tests in India and Australia where he hjs earned his reputation. In other countries his batting average, while fine for a 'keeper, is 31.5 .
Looking beyond Tests, his ODI performances (Ave 34.6 sr 106.7) in 30 matches and his T20I stats (Ave 22.4 sr 126.7) in 66 matches are far from sensational.
Eh I wouldn’t call him overrated. I’ve mainly seen people saying he has the potential to be one of the great keeper-bats, which I wouldn’t call misleading.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Calling him an ATG (as some have done) is over-rating IMO.
Yeah, I don't think anyone calls him ATG at this point. But he definitely has potential and age (hoping he recovers mentally to start in 2024) to end up as one.

As of now, Knott and quite a few others like Sanga, ABDV, Watling, Healy etc. are clearly above him as keeper-bats. He has overtaken Dhoni as the best Indian keeper-bat for me though.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
No one really rates him anything like that in LOIs. It’s tests where he’s well on his way. And those averages can be a bit misleading because he’s often coming in at 130/5 or something mad and keeping us competitive. The amount of insane knocks he’s played, both for a wicket keeper and for someone who’s only played so few tests, is pretty ridiculous. Some of his key India (at home) knocks came in dire circumstances too after our top order had **** themselves either on an absolute minefield or even on a somewhat docile pitch - circumstances matter.
His 44 and Dhoni’s close to 40 or so average or whatever average are absolutely worlds apart.