• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Which would have nothing to do with him, given that he was a bowler, and a hard hitting batsman, so really it's more down to the teammates surrounding him in that case.
I was joking of course when I called KD a tedious plodder, but I don’t think a bowler’s drawing percentage has nothing to do with them… surely someone who on average took 3-70 in 45 overs would draw more often than someone who took 3-70 in 15 overs.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Kapil Dev was a very good all rounder.

He's the only player to score 4,000 runs and take 400 wkts in tests - that's some effort.

To put it in perspective, he was as good a bowler as Ntini, Southee or Vaas.

And he was as good a batsmen as the likes of Mark Boucher or Alan Knott

That's one heck of a cricketer

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
Given that his reputation is precisely the opposite, and even that he was selfish, no I don't think we can just assume he had many innings where he ramped up the aggression just to make a match winning contribution.

Normally I assume that cricketers are doing their best to help the team, but in the case when their contemporaries are stating otherwise, I have to make an exception.
Another one. Second innings. Admittedly supporting Cowdrey.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
First class cricket was as followed as tests in those days?
More so in many cases. Basically the further you go back in time, the closer first-class cricket gets to Tests. At some point first-class cricket becomes more important.

The average daily attendance at Old Trafford for Lancashire v Yorkshire in 1926 was 27,000. At the same ground in 1974, less than four thousand came through the gate each day to watch the England v India Test match.

shortpitched713

International Captain
He could have quite easily ended up with a record 2nd only to The Don so I'd be interested to know why you think he's overrated
Graeme Pollock's FC batting average was significantly lower than his Test average of over 60, which is his only claim to the "best since Don" status. And there's no reason to think that Apartheid SA FC cricket was better than Test cricket, so a reasonable conclusion would be that given a longer career Pollock would have regressed to a level closer to that FC level of performance, just like many other great Test batsmen who get off to a hot start, but end up averaging in the 50s instead of over 60.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Graeme Pollock's FC batting average was significantly lower than his Test average of over 60, which is his only claim to the "best since Don" status. And there's no reason to think that Apartheid SA FC cricket was better than Test cricket, so a reasonable conclusion would be that given a longer career Pollock would have regressed to a level closer to that FC level of performance, just like many other great Test batsmen who get off to a hot start, but end up averaging in the 50s instead of over 60.
You may be right but there's also reason to say that without the prospect of test cricket, Pollock lacked motivation in the more mundane FC SA game.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
You may be right but there's also reason to say that without the prospect of test cricket, Pollock lacked motivation in the more mundane FC SA game.
He received several offers from English counties, but opted to play a few club matches in Surrey with his brother. May have felt he had nothing to prove.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's why it's clear Kapil is nowhere near as good a bowler as he is heralded to be
Kapil had almost nil support on bowling and not a great batting line-up apart from Gavaskar too compared to other strong teams of that time. Unfair to penalize him for the team record.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil had almost nil support on bowling and not a great batting line-up apart from Gavaskar too compared to other strong teams of that time. Unfair to penalize him for the team record.
What an awful narrative. He has all four members of the spin quartet, Kumble and Doshi.