• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most lll treated players

Marius

International Debutant
He was treated very well I thought. Getting a contract for SA while being dire is quite an achievement.
Good point.

:ph34r:

Some of the more, shall we say ill-informed, people in SA have been questioning why he wasn't brought in to replace De Kock after his injury.

I also saw someone tweet that after Temba Bavuma's runout of Chanderpaul in the last Test match, that should be enough to secure the former's spot in the Test side. Cause, you know, dropping a black dude who made 25 runs in two innings is racist...

The mind boggles...

andmark

International Captain
Monty Panesar not being the first choice spinner in the 2006/07 Ashes was ridiculous. I never understood how Giles was meant to be better than an in form Panesar

cpr

International Coach
Pah, a whole decade of mediocre bowlers getting selected ahead of Glenn Chapple is far worse than Monty getting dropped.

anil1405

International Captain
Monty Panesar not being the first choice spinner in the 2006/07 Ashes was ridiculous. I never understood how Giles was meant to be better than an in form Panesar
If am not wrong Fletcher corrected his mistake by picking Monty for second test right? But yea that was a very poor decision.

andmark

International Captain
If am not wrong Fletcher corrected his mistake by picking Monty for second test right? But yea that was a very poor decision.
Just consulted a Wisden and it was the third test. Stupid decision from Fletcher which any onlooker could see

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah not picking Monty for the first 2 tests of 06/07 was pretty dire, but from a recent England POV I'm going to nominate the dropping of Nick Compton as the one that still grates me the most.

That was the first of some very questionable England selections in that period and pretty much where it all started to go to **** for us.

Chubb

International Regular
Asim Kamal looked a good, organised player but he barely played for Pakistan despite averaging 37. And they picked Imran Farhat, Hasan Raza and Faisal Iqbal rather than him?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fawad Alam has to take the cake.

Scores 168 on test debut opening despite being a middle order batsman through his career finds himself out of the side 2 tests later never gets a chance again despite averaging 50+ for five seasons.

Gets dropped from odi side despite averaging 37 fights his way back takes his average to 48 has 2 bad games gets dropped again for Shafiq and Younis who unsurprisingly stinks up the joint. Asked to play a domestic tourney to prove his form and fitness before World cup guns it again and then misses out on world cup selection for Younis f'in Khan.

I will not blame him if he calls it quits.
That's unbelievably bad treatment.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah not picking Monty for the first 2 tests of 06/07 was pretty dire, but from a recent England POV I'm going to nominate the dropping of Nick Compton as the one that still grates me the most.

That was the first of some very questionable England selections in that period and pretty much where it all started to go to **** for us.
Very harsh.

A solid start in India where many English batsmen have failed, cracking tour of NZ and then one bad series at home against NZ and binned for good. Harsh.

Can't think of any other examples not listed in the thread, most recent one, maybe Lumb in ODI cricket? Cracking debut series in West Indies and then gone.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
David Steele was treated appallingly - brought in to blunt Lillee and Thomson and did so brilliantly, the following year did as well as anyone against Holding, Roberts and Daniel but after that series was never picked again

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nick Compton, told to piss off because he wasn't the sycophantic new boy and was as slow as Cook, only to be replaced by a Dud Root, Carberry who batted way slower and Robson who was less than impressive.

Hughes, Lyon and Sarwan also come to mind in recent memory.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pah, a whole decade of mediocre bowlers getting selected ahead of Glenn Chapple is far worse than Monty getting dropped.
Not as bad as the way Bicknell was treated as he was a better bowler for many years and wasn't given a chance after a debut against a rampant Aussie side in a poor England one.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
compton is clearly a massive ****, which i think played a big part in his dropping.

plus we need him down at the middle so hands off.