• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most hype before a test debut?

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm talking about the time when we had very scarce bowling resources, Zaheer Khan was a very good strategist but not really a strike bowler sort of personality, we desperately needed a strike bowler who could rattle the opponents with sheer pace, so there was Abhimanyu Mithun who was averaging at 89-90 mph at that time in domestic cricket and gave us some hope. His debut was relatively bland though, good bowler but hardly someone who hurried batsmen with pace.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hick for me, simply because he spent so many years scoring heaps of runs in the CC whilst qualifying to play for England. Along those lines, someone who's not been mentioned yet is Allan Lamb; again, scored heavily in the CC whilst serving his qualifying period.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Amongst the kiwi posters Matt Henry had a huge amount of hype ahead of his test debut. Took 5/23 on FC debut as a 19 year old and picked up 4 wickets on ODI debut v India, so understandable to an extent. The selectors bought into it unfortunately and left Neil Wagner out of the side for 6 out of 7 tests v England and Australia in 2015/16.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm talking about the time when we had very scarce bowling resources, Zaheer Khan was a very good strategist but not really a strike bowler sort of personality, we desperately needed a strike bowler who could rattle the opponents with sheer pace, so there was Abhimanyu Mithun who was averaging at 89-90 mph at that time in domestic cricket and gave us some hope. His debut was relatively bland though, good bowler but hardly someone who hurried batsmen with pace.
eh Zaheer was something of a tearaway (as Indian seamers go) before he packed on the pounds, which is precisely when he became a "strategist". Young Zaheer had a high leap and could legit surprise with pace and bounce, hence the dismay when he became a fat and confused figure in the middle of his career.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Was he really averaging that speed. Was always very much medium in international cricket.