• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most exciting cricketers you've seen live XI

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Whom I saw live, in person.

G.Greenidge
V. Richards
R.Kanhai
B.Lara
C.Lloyd
G.Sobers
J.Dujon
M.Marshall
A.Roberts
C.Griffith
L.Gibbs

The WIndians had a natural knack for entertaining spectators. Calypso cricketers producing a range of shots which delighted and oozed entertainment value. @
I submit that my ' Exciting Live XI ' is THE most Exciting if not the strongest as well. One would have to mix and match from the other Exciting XI's to out-excite this team.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As another one of those true cricket fans who rank all cricketers in order from no.2 onwards permanently reserving the top spot for the one and only captain grumpy, I agree with Burgey here. We are choosing a team full of Pacinos and De Niros. Border was Gene Hackman.

Agree with the Muesli part as well.

EDIT: The only cricketing visual that I love more than the Border square cut is the Border lightning throw at the bowler's end from short mid wicket.
Baggers gets it.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Seen in person over the last 27 years in NZ:

Sanath Jayasuriya
Hershelle Gibbs
Aravinda de Silva
Sachin Tendulkar
Jesse Ryder
Chris Cairns
Brendon McCullum
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Waqar Younis (yorking Bryan Young, who ended up on his knees, at Eden Park in 94 is a particular highlight)
Dale Steyn

Wider squad: Matt Hayden, Shaun Tait, Kevin Pietersen, Muttiah Muralitharan, Brett Lee, Shane Bond.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
What was Lance Gibbs like. Any parallels to any modern spinners?
Lance was probably the most serious of the WIndies bunch. A perfectionist who was treating this like a Test match. He was serious, accurate, made field changes, bowled to it and glared at any fielding mishaps. Very unlike his cousin Lloyd who entertained the crowd with humor and a carefree, cavalier attitude. Lance was lanky, loose-limbed with long fingers. Again unlike Lloyd who had put on weight and looked like a giant on the field.

Bahseph

State Captain
Interesting thread. I like it.

1. Gibbs(Tests & ODIs) always looked elegant when I saw him live.
2. Gayle(Tests) saw him in SA around 2008. Before he became a T20 boss. It irks me that people tend to forget how good he was as a Test bat. Legit.
3. Tendulkar(Tests) caught him at a Test in 2006 and 2011. Both in Durban. So you can imagine the reception.
4. AB de Villiers(Tests) - never seen anyone make batting look as easy as this guy.
5. VVS Laxman(Tests) - holy hell. His 96 in Durban in 2011 is still stuck in my head. If there was ever a case of not judging a batsman by his numbers its VVS. Great in the crunch.
6. Flintoff(T20) - only bowled three overs in the T20WC game I saw him at. But the buzz when he came on to bowl. Crazy.
7. B.Mcullum(T20)- don't even remember what he made when I saw him. But he made you stand up and watch.
8. Lance Klusener(Domestic T20) - probably way past his prime. But I saw him finish off a T20 with about 20-odd needed in the last over. This was in about 2005.
9. Dwayne Bravo(Test and T20) - Aesthetically, his batting and bowling was a joy to watch. Fun to watch live.
10. Philander(Tests) - watching big Vern bowl on the first day of a Test in SA is a pleasure as a cricket fan. A master in his element.
11. Steyn(Tests)- hands down the most exciting cricketer I've watched live. Saw him take a fiver twice live. Just the electricity in the crowd when he gets going is unparalleled. You can't stop watching the action.

12th man: Shaun Pollock(Tests) - class. Batting or bowling,Polly made it look easy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Closest you’d ever hear TOTAB go to acknowledging fear is him saying playing the WI “wasn’t always a lot of fun.”

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Closest you’d ever hear TOTAB go to acknowledging fear is him saying playing the WI “wasn’t always a lot of fun.”
As if playing against other teams were fun for ' Captain Grumpy ' :huh:
Nonetheless, for one who seemed to be lacking leadership skills early in his career, he certainly proved that steely determination/dedication works - regardless of personality.

JBMAC

State Captain
In Batting Order:-

Barnes
Morris
Bradman (c)
Harvey
Sobers
Border
Miller
Warne
Tyson
Marshall
Tallon (wk)

Seen them all..Would back them for any money against any team previously mentioned.