• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morgan vs Carberry: should county cricket be abandoned?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmmm.....but Morgan's a gun for the future, regardless of runs in CC (remember Tres, Vaughan, Collingwood, heck even Flintoff?), whereas Carberry is an ageing county pro. I know which one's my choice.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would you stuff around with the line-up that much to put your least qualified batsman in the side batting @ number 3; what is widely seen as the most important position in the side?
England haven't got a number 3. You're advancing the selection of a non-existent player. It's true that 3 is a crucial position that should be filled by an experienced, technically sound player who can both attack and defend well depending on the situation he finds himself in. But there's no one in England who fits the bill, unless you want to shift KP to 3, which I think would be a massive mistake. So I reckon Jonathan Trott is as good an option as any.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England haven't got a number 3. You're advancing the selection of a non-existent player. It's true that 3 is a crucial position that should be filled by an experienced, technically sound player who can both attack and defend well depending on the situation he finds himself in. But there's no one in England who fits the bill, unless you want to shift KP to 3, which I think would be a massive mistake. So I reckon Jonathan Trott is as good an option as any.
I think he was talking about the theoretical lineup with Carberry batting three until Collingwood returned; not the actual lineup.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Becoming less and less sensitised to people moaning about how contemporary form should be the sole determinant of selection. Yes, it's logical. Yes, it fits the noble philosophy of 'pick the eleven that will win you the next Test'. But honestly, it defies belief that there's a furore every single time some young gun gets picked over a form player, especially against a minnow side.

Why wouldn't you give a player a chance to get his feet wet in international cricket? Moreover, why care if you're going to theoretically steamroll them anyway? Assuming the player's seen as a long-term investment, why not give him a chance to forge a decent Test temperament sooner rather than later?

It's been shown ad nauseam that domestic form isn't a guarantor of Test ability. See: Hick, Kambli, McGain. None of them - except Hick, who's an outlier - had a chance to develop their ability to mentally adjust to a Test environment.

Granted, there are exceptions. Must-win Tests are no place for kids. Bell shouldn't have been in the 2005 Ashes, Siddle shouldn't have toured India and Sharma got pushed too hard too early. But it's unbelievably rare that one dud selection has ruined a series for one side. And it's not a certainty they'll be a dud anyway.

But deadset, the purist outlook on this sort of thing defies belief. It's the thing that chronically gimped the West Indies beyond 1994-95.

Meritocracy isn't a short-term statistical thing. No, really.