• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monk's Favourite XI

bagapath

International Captain
Gower being a lefty had an unfair natural advantage over Mark Waugh, Damien Martyn and VVS, that for no reason supported by science, a southpaw's elegance gets a bit exaggerated in the eyes of a casual viewer. How much of it is illusion and how much of it is for real is a matter worth debating over a few pints. A simple square cut executed by the lefty differs from his right handed counterpart's equivalent in terms of how the batsman's body is positioned at the time of contact and what exactly do the bat wielding arms do after the ball leaves in the new direction. A left handed Tendulkar, for example, may look as elegant as Lara - though we don't know why, for sure.

What we know for certain is that Gower had the magical ability to stretch time from the moment the ball left the bowler's hand and reached his end. While the bowler was still completing his follow through, Gower, if he wanted, could have read through "War and Peace" from start to finish - twice, called his wife and read out the dinner menu, dropped his kids at school, had a shave, changed clothes, fixed his hair, turned his collar upwards and then caressed the ball through covers; and he could do this to fast bowlers who took pride in their wicket keepers collecting the ball above their heads in nanoseconds from the time it left their hand. This supernatural ability added loads of coolness to his batting and created an unhurried, unruffled style that was all his own.

Gower also was, thankfully, a naturally attacking batsman. And he had tons of ego. This made him really exciting to watch, like there was a passage of play in the 1990 Oval test when he let loose on Indian bowlers and started hitting boundaries off perfectly respectable deliveries. Many times in his career, he was risking his wicket to prove a point when no one asked him to; he still went on to prove it anyways. This gambler's instinct and bloated self-confidence got him out at awkward times for his team on a few occasions. But accusing him of risk taking with his batting is like accusing Kim Kardashian of getting her fat backside photographed too often. Stopping them from doing so will be like robbing them off their livelihood.

Words that come to your mind when you imagine his batting are tall, elegant and classy. Being an atheist I don't like to use the word "blessed". You can add that if you want, I won't object. But lets understand that Gower's batting was founded on sound principles. He was good on the front foot and on the back. He played fast bowling really well. And played spinners even better. He could cut, pull, sweep and drive. And he could drive through the covers like only he could drive through the covers.

Gower's cover drive is a typical event that can usually be described like this.
Bowler bowled the ball. Gower swished his bat. The ball cut through the off side field and reached the boundary.
A, B and C.
Between A and B, Gower stretched time and moved to the pitch of the ball. His tall figure and still head moved gracefully in minimal effort from the crease to the pitch, by which time the bat swing started.
Then B happened and his bat connected with the ball.
C happened entirely at ground level as the red cherry whizzed past the greenfield exactly bisecting mid-off and cover before its journey was cut off by the hoarding outside the boundary.

That was exactly it. His body, mind, timing, power, placement and style - everything came together for those few seconds to propel the cricket ball beyond the boundary rope and left an indelible mark on your psyche. Gower made everyone else disappear whenever he hit this shot.

watson

Banned
I like Gower because he is a connoisseur of fine wine, and would be someone to check the wine menu with. And in era of aggressive crickers he never had that contorted try-hard expression common of so many wannabees.

In other words, his batting looked cool because he IS cool. That's why we admire him.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My next selection is less conventional. I absolutely love leg spinners. And I have no idea of how they master their extremely difficult art. To have seen Shane Warne's career has been amazing. Such a master of the most difficult discipline in cricket. I have tried to bowl leg spin so many times in the nets. I think I would land one in ten somewhere near the spot I'd want to. To see a master like Warne land every ball on the spot was an honor.

However, my next selection isn't Warne, but rather the man who seemed to be his perennial understudy. In spite of this, Stuart MacGill managed to represent his nation in 44 tests, and he took close to 5 wickets a test. And it's a shame that MacGill's career ran concurrently with Warne's because 100 tests probably would've seen MacGill with close to 500 wickets and a place in the pantheon of all time great bowlers. As it was, MacGill was a wonderful bowler to watch. His run up wasn't as fluent as Warnes, and he was slightly more erratic, but his big ripping leg breaks turned more than Warne's and he posed constant threat to the opposition batsmen. MacGill was a poor fielder and batsman, but he was someone who I loved watching bowl. I'd have loved him to have played another 2 or 3 years after Warne, as the number 1 incumbent, but in true MacGill style he remained enigmatic, and seemed to retire when he finally got his big chance.

In my opinion, MacGill should be remembered very fondly. And there is no reason not to consider him one of the top ten spinners of all time.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
It still seems odd to me that when Warne and MacGill played in the same Test match together, MacGill invariably ended up with the better figures. I wouldn't say this fact diminishes Warne, but rather elevates MacGill.

(Have to go to Statguru though to gather the proper numbers)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It still seems odd to me that when Warne and MacGill played in the same Test match together, MacGill invariably ended up with the better figures. I wouldn't say this fact diminishes Warne, but rather elevates MacGill.

(Have to go to Statguru though to gather the proper numbers)
Wouldn't read far too much into those stats. MacGill generally bowled with Warne when the pitch was specifically one which would turn quite a bit more than normal and he wasn't quite tested on the more unresponsive tracks like Warne was, because he didn't get picked on those occasions. Difference between him and Warne was that MacGill bowled those pressure releasing long hops far more often.

Loved watching him bowl though, when he let his big leg break rip and it landed right, it was lovely to watch.

watson

Banned
Wouldn't read far too much into those stats. MacGill generally bowled with Warne when the pitch was specifically one which would turn quite a bit more than normal and he wasn't quite tested on the more unresponsive tracks like Warne was, because he didn't get picked on those occasions. Difference between him and Warne was that MacGill bowled those pressure releasing long hops far more often.

Loved watching him bowl though, when he let his big leg break rip and it landed right, it was lovely to watch.
So are you saying that MacGill was more lethal than Warne when they both bowled on the same 'turning' wicket?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gower being a lefty had an unfair natural advantage over Mark Waugh, Damien Martyn and VVS, that for no reason supported by science, a southpaw's elegance gets a bit exaggerated in the eyes of a casual viewer. How much of it is illusion and how much of it is for real is a matter worth debating over a few pints. A simple square cut executed by the lefty differs from his right handed counterpart's equivalent in terms of how the batsman's body is positioned at the time of contact and what exactly do the bat wielding arms do after the ball leaves in the new direction. A left handed Tendulkar, for example, may look as elegant as Lara - though we don't know why, for sure.
Sachin Batting Left Handed ! Amazing Rare Video ! Awesome Batting ! - YouTube

Best of Sachin - left handed version - YouTube

Sachin Tendulkar batting left handed- 137 vs Sri Lanka 1996 WORLD CUP - YouTube

Doesn't look as good :)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So are you saying that MacGill was more lethal than Warne when they both bowled on the same 'turning' wicket?
No... I'm saying in the not too many occasions that MacGill and Warne bowled together, MacGill may have had a slightly better average. It means nothing

Red

One of the great travesties of modern cricket is the fact that a guy like Richard Chee Quee could only manage 22 FC matches and 0 tests. Cheeq's FC average was close to 30 (or at least close to 29) and he was THE FIRST CHINESE FIRST CLASS CRICKETER.

I sometimes agonise over Barry Richards, Hutton, Sutcliffe etc for my ATG team. I now realise, Richard Chee Quee belongs in my true ATG team

- Richard Chee Quee
- Jack Hobbs
- Don Bradman
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Viv Richards
- Garry Sobers
- Allan Knott
- Richard Hadlee
- Shane Warne
- Dennis Lillee
- Curtly Ambrose

That is SO RIGHT!

Red

Being able to remember 1980s cricket is a good thing. I can remember the era of the great all-rounders. Richard Hadlee, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev and Ian Botham were all outstanding cricketers who were highly skilled in more than one facet of the game. I wonder sometimes if we realise how difficult it is to be an all rounder at the highest level. Plenty of people have written articles about which of these guys put their skills together at the same time the most often and all that sort of stuff. All that interests me, but to be honest, I appreciate the raw skill and ability more. And most all rounders bring an element of excitement to the game that other players can't match.

So my choice here is Beefy. I'll admit, I only saw the tail end of his career live, and he was a bit past it and chunky by then. But I've seen heaps of footage of him in the late 70s and early 80s, and I love him. Botham was very capable of bowling with the new ball, and he had than canny tin arsed golden bollock knack of getting wickets, often with **** balls. I can relate to that. But he was a clever bowler, with good control of swing and he was a strong bloke, who could bowl for long periods of time. He took 383 test wickets from just over 100 tests, so he took almost four wickets a game. He had a nice economical run up and a powerful delivery stride and follow through. In addition to his bowling, he was a highly skilled fieldsman, either in the slips or the outfield.

Botham's batting is what sets him apart from the other three all rounders from his era in my opinion. When Botham really got cracking with the bat, he was truly formidable, in the mould of Gilchrist or Viv really. Capable of completely taking an attack apart in a short time with robust hitting. And the beautiful part of it all was, he had a very orthodox technique. Like Gilchrist, he wasn't really a slogger, but just had exquisite timing, and was capable of shots all round the wicket. Definitely a guy you want in your team, rather than the opposition team.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Beefy,that absolute ****. Great cricketer though, and you're right about it being more timing I think in his shots. Which is crazy because the guy was very strong.
When you say he brought both batting and bowling skills, because I often think of him in one way or the other. But then realise that adter he'd knocked out a decent innings he'd then come charging in and tend to bowl well as well. A real allrounder like that. A great choice for any favourite team.

watson

Banned
No... I'm saying in the not too many occasions that MacGill and Warne bowled together, MacGill may have had a slightly better average. It means nothing
For the record: Shane Warne & Stuart MacGill bowled together in 16 Test matches from 1998 to 2006. Their stat's are;

Shane Warne
Wickets = 74
Ave = 29.56
SR = 56.6
5w = 6
10w = 2

Stuart MacGill
Wickets = 82
Ave = 22.10
SR = 41.7
5w = 5
10w = 1

Must admit that MacGill's Ave and SR are superb, so he obviously enjoyed bowling along-side Warne. Warne's figures are pretty good too, and it is obvious that his overall impact was just as strong as MacGill's because he has a few more 5-fer/10-fer

I think that we've incovered yet another cricketing myth that says "Warne bowled badly" when competing in the same match as MacGill.

watson

Banned
Botham was very capable of bowling with the new ball, and he had than canny tin arsed golden bollock knack of getting wickets, often with **** balls. I can relate to that.
:laugh:

Red

Okay, I know you've all been waiting with baited breath for my next selection (what does baited breath even mean?)

Pure pace is something to behold. I've faced some guys that bowled at district/state standard in the nets a few times, and it seemed that as I played my shot, the ball hit the back of the net. I was microseconds too slow, and that makes all the difference between a hack like me, and a much better batsman.

The past few decades have seen some pretty quick bowlers. Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee, Dale Steyn and Wasim and Waqar could all generate some serious heat. And while it can go wrong at times, when it's right there's no better sight. Nothing is better than seeing a good batsman have his stumps destroyed by a ball that was too quick and good for him.

So my next choice is "White Lightning". Allan Donald. Possessor of one of the finest fast bowling actions in history. Possessor of extreme pace when younger. Possessor of a beautiful outswinger, and the one that cuts back in. Possessor of that slight element of bat **** crazy that made opening batsmen think twice as he ran in. Someone to take the new ball with Wasim, and what a hellish pair they would be to contend with. Left and right armed. Both quick, with every trick. Love it.

Donald had one of those classical actions that are beautiful to watch. Larwood had it. So did Lindwall, Lillee, Holding and Trueman. Hooking him up with Wasim and Botham forms a pretty formidable pace unit.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
He's a strong choice, that was an awesome spell of bowling. I remember that match. Donald had been cod ordinary the day before, but it was the one Bevan got given out similar to Khawaja in the Ashes this year. Symcox spun it past his outside edge straight to the slip and it was given out.
But anyway, white lightning was brutal at times, it would be pretty special to see him and Wasim in tandem. I would not like to be a batsmen at a time like that.