• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moments of Ingenious Captaincy

Loony BoB

International Captain
Every now and then, whether it be putting someone up the order or setting a field or doing something obscure - such as opening the bowling with a spin bowler a la Fleming/Vettori - a captain will make a decision that will pay off in a way that few others would have ever envisaged until they saw it being done. So, what are the ones that caught your eye?

EDIT: And if I remember rightly, the Fleming/Vettori thing was done before by Crowe and Patel... should probably add that in since they did it first.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Every now and then, whether it be putting someone up the order or setting a field or doing something obscure - such as opening the bowling with a spin bowler a la Fleming/Vettori - a captain will make a decision that will pay off in a way that few others would have ever envisaged until they saw it being done. So, what are the ones that caught your eye?
Ricky Ponting - anything he does is simply divine

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
One example would be from the 1975 Test at Lords when Australia were struggling for a wicket in the second innings and the new ball was due. With Lillee and Thomson waiting in the wings Ian Chappell gave the new ball to Doug Walters who immediately caught and bowled David Steele with a full toss.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Allan Border bringing on Shane Warne when Aus were in Sri Lanka (about '92, I think) with the Lankans only needing 30-40 to win, with 4 in hand. He took three quick wickets to take Australia to victory when they looked nowhere near it. Was the first time he showed a glimpse of what was to come, as well.

shaka

International Regular
Hansie Cronje declaring to create a match after 3 days rained out, I think they were playing England, they did the same thing.

Sehwag309

Banned
Azhar giving the last over to Tendulkar (Cant remeber the game)- v/s South Africa
Ganguly giving it to Sehwag v/s South Africa in ICC 2002 (Semi) 2nd Last Over

Craig

World Traveller
The ODI series against South Africa in 2000 at Telstra Dome where Andrew Hall came on in the 2nd ODI to get South Africa a tie and the way he bowled in the 3rd game despite keeping wicket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
Hansie Cronje declaring to create a match after 3 days rained out, I think they were playing England, they did the same thing.
Not really ingenious captaincy though, really (although people thought it at the time)

Craig

World Traveller
If not captaincy, but selection when Australia selected Peter Taylor back in 1986-87 against England at The SCG, Taylor got the man of the match with both bat and bowl earning him the gong and Australia won. The reason I mentioned it because Taylor had played only a handfull of FC games for NSW and was approaching 30.

pskov

International 12th Man
shaka said:
He only did that because he was 'encouraged' to create a result by a wealthy financial backer, who then promptly put a couple of thousand Rand on a result occuring at ridiculously long odds.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ganguly : Taking far too long over his teams 50 overs and getting himself banned and thereby out of the Indian team :D