• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Amir retires from tests

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really care. More interested in other potential up-and-coming Pakistan bowlers now.

I will, however, head over to read the comments on PakPassion.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty weird retirement. Had been mediocre in tests since his return, pretty low WPM although you could party attribute that to dropped catches.

vcs

You beat me to it, I was really surprised when I saw it on the Cricinfo match updates page for England vs. Ireland.

Ultimately, I think he just didn't fancy putting in the slog on the dead UAE pitches which reduced him to a toothless trundler. He bowled pretty decently on helpful wickets in England and South Africa over the last year.

Wahab will probably get back in. Abbas-<Wahab/Hasan/Afridi>-Shah-<some other spinner> in UAE, and Abbas-<two of Wahab/Hasan/Afridi>-Shah overseas will be their attack going forward I guess.

trundler

I have no clue about who replaces him. Pakistani domestic cricket tells you **** all.

vcs

Yeah, I would prefer them trying out some domestic gun over Riaz and Hasan Ali but they probably won't do that.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ultimately, I think he just didn't fancy putting in the slog on the dead UAE pitches which reduced him to a toothless trundler. He bowled pretty decently on helpful wickets in England and South Africa over the last year.
I do think that the complete lifelessness of the UAE pitches is damaging their pace bowling, although considering how bad some Pakistan wickets were the effect mightn't be that great. Is it simply not possible to grow some grass? Or as an alternative, make a really hard, polished surface like they used to in the Windies.

Wahab will probably get back in. Abbas-<Wahab/Hasan/Afridi>-Shah-<some other spinner> in UAE, and Abbas-<two of Wahab/Hasan/Afridi>-Shah overseas will be their attack going forward I guess.
Wahab should be discarded for tests and they need to start picking somewhat younger bowlers who are performing domestically, not going back to the same failures, and equally not looking for the next 19 year old wunderkind while not considering anyone over the age of 22. Also I have strong doubts about Hasan Ali in the long term, but that's neither here nor there.

morgieb

Definite shock, I still think he's their most dangerous bowler in most conditions. Though his performances has been well behind Abbas and Afridi looks a real talent so I can maybe see it.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Sad to hear. He was never the same bowler after his 5 year ban. :(

He made mistakes but he was only 17 and was most likely put under pressure by Butt.

Hopefully we can find someone to replace him.

Abbas and Afridi plus someone else. I am liking Naseem Shah, who looks like an amazing prospect.

trundler

He's 16 ffs. Don't want another teenager to be rushed in. Wasim was 30 years ago. Most bowlers doing well in domestic are old pros like Irfan and Aizaz Cheema. Dire.

thierry henry

International Coach
I saw him bowl a lot in NZ in after his comeback (Pak came here 3 years in a row) and he still looked really dangerous but bowled without much luck and with an awful lack of support from his fielders.

He probably wasn’t about to all of a sudden have a glorious test career at this point, but this still makes me sad for various reasons- and I’m not someone who takes what he did lightly.