• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Starc vs Jasprit Bumrah in limited overs

Who is the better bowler in limited overs cricket?

• Total voters

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Think Starc is the better ODI bowler because of his WC performances. I am voting Bumrah out of spite though due to a very obvious voting pattern.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
LOI’s takes T20s where Bumrah is a zillion times better, possibly the GOAT. ODIs Starc is ahead, but Bumrah is already looking to be one of the greats. So overall Bumrah

smash84

The Tiger King
This one is quite close. Maybe Starc atm because he has more proven performances in ODI world cups but Bumrah is exceptional in both T20s and ODIs as well. Probably bumrah in a couple of years

Spark

Global Moderator
Right now? Bumrah easily. But it's been a forgotten a bit just how outlandishly good Starc was with the white ball when he was younger, faster, swung the ball more regularly and - most importantly - actually played white ball cricket regularly. The 2015 WC trumps most anything else.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Bumrah , once in a lifetime bowler..

India should actually be ashamed of not winning a single tournament with this cheat code.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This one is quite close. Maybe Starc atm because he has more proven performances in ODI world cups but Bumrah is exceptional in both T20s and ODIs as well. Probably bumrah in a couple of years
Really? I love Bumrah, I think he's the biggest single reason India has stopped being a laughing stock when touring real countries, but hit me up when he's won India two World Cups, or even been leading wicket taker in a couple. Starc's record is mental on that stage. Even last year when he was out bowled by Cummins and Haze he was still among the wickets at the back end - took three in each of the semi and final Check his numbers in 2015 and 2019. They're mind boggling.

He tends to bowl a fair bit of trash in between WCs, but at the end of the day who cares if he lifts when it matters most?

If you're playing in a WC final tomorrow you'd take Starc over probably any other ODI bowler in history, even McGrath, Akram or Garner. Bumrah is a freak and I love him to bits. He's absolutely top shelf, but you're putting him up against a bloke who's done it all on the biggest stage.

smash84

The Tiger King
Really? I love Bumrah, I think he's the biggest single reason India has stopped being a laughing stock when touring real countries, but hit me up when he's won India two World Cups, or even been leading wicket taker in a couple. Starc's record is mental on that stage. Even last year when he was out bowled by Cummins and Haze he was still among the wickets at the back end - took three in each of the semi and final Check his numbers in 2015 and 2019. They're mind boggling.

He tends to bowl a fair bit of trash in between WCs, but at the end of the day who cares if he lifts when it matters most?

If you're playing in a WC final tomorrow you'd take Starc over probably any other ODI bowler in history, even McGrath, Akram or Garner. Bumrah is a freak and I love him to bits. He's absolutely top shelf, but you're putting him up against a bloke who's done it all on the biggest stage.
I did mention Starc's wc performances didn't I? But cricket is a team game too, it's not like Starc has been winning games singlehandedly without any contribution from the rest of the team.. unfortunately bumrah has been let down by his team (last odi WC final being exhibit A). Australia as a whole lift their game in clutch matches,.so.....

Socerer 01

International Captain
Starc’s white ball stocks have fallen partly because cricket there has moved on from him while he hasnt focused on it as much compared to even his teammates

ma1978

International 12th Man

yeah I buy this for ODIs.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant

In ODIs, despite having an economy of almost 1 run less; I reckon Starc is a better bowler on his WC shenanigans. But I also think it's closer there, as outside of WCs, Starc has been very hot and cold. Like, in the last WC, Shami almost matched Starc 2015, and was also very good in 2019 and 4th in 2015; but I don't think he is really close to Bumrah.

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
In ODIs, despite having an economy of almost 1 run less; I reckon Starc is a better bowler on his WC shenanigans. But I also think it's closer there, as outside of WCs, Starc has been very hot and cold. Like, in the last WC, Shami almost matched Starc 2015, and was also very good in 2019; but I don't think he is really close to Bumrah.
But he's won 3 World Cups how can they not be close

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's saying Shami isn't close to Bumrah overall in ODIs rather than Starc.

Himannv

International Coach
Starc in ODIs and Bumrah in T20s. Having said that, I voted Bumrah.

What tips it for me is that I think T20 is not necessarily Starc’s best format, while I think Bumrah is pretty good in ODIs in comparison.

My vote changes if I give more prominence to ODIs but with equal weight for both I’d lean towards Bumrah.

Socerer 01

International Captain
In ODIs, despite having an economy of almost 1 run less; I reckon Starc is a better bowler on his WC shenanigans. But I also think it's closer there, as outside of WCs, Starc has been very hot and cold. Like, in the last WC, Shami almost matched Starc 2015, and was also very good in 2019 and 4th in 2015; but I don't think he is really close to Bumrah.
honestly a large part of it is down to Shami not playing as many odis due to his fitness issues and the team preferring Bhuvi over him because they were obsessed with wanting run preservation over taking wickets

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
honestly a large part of it is down to Shami not playing as many odis due to his fitness issues and the team preferring Bhuvi over him because they were obsessed with wanting run preservation over taking wickets
It's quite painful especially in the World cups. He was the 4th highest wicket taker and 2nd after Umesh for India (1 wicket less in 1 match, better average) in 2015 WC; yet played only 4 matches in 2019; in which again he was World Class, taking 14 @13 with a hattrick. And for all that, he was dropped in the early games of 2023 WC, for "checks notes" Lord..... Only made the team due to an injury of Hardik, and followed that with one of the greatest performances of all time.