• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hendrick 1948-2021

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bless him. Vale.

An average of ~25 over 30 tests is very impressive, anomalous lack of 5-fors notwithstanding.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He was a fine bowler. Particularly good in England, but no mug elsewhere. Great slip fielder, too. Sad news.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Slightly before my time. But clearly a seriously good bowler, won the Ashes three times and had a very impressive record.

RIP.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
He gets a mention in Brearley's "On Cricket": in the 1978-9 Ashes, they weren't intending to pick him until Inverarity said he was easily England's best bowler against Western Australia. He ended the series with better figures than Willis and Botham (19@15.73).
Unfortunately, he was injured in the last Test against India in 1979 so missed the 1979-80 series and didn't do much after that.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
He could make the ball talk. I believe he once said, "If I can't tell which way the ball is going to swing, what chance has the batsman got of picking me?"

RIP

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nice piece by Mark Nicholas on cricinfo. Lots of us remember the last ball of the 1979 WC final; Richards hitting Hendricks' full toss into the stands. What I had forgotten is Hendricks seaming one back into the pads of the great man at the start of his innings and the umpire for some reason declining a very plumb leg before shout. Anyone wanting to see peak Hendrick could do worse that dig out youtube's highlights of England's semi-final against Pakistan in the same tournament.

On a sort of related matter, those were the days when England included three Derbyshire players. Never happened again, unless I've forgotten about it. And probably never happened before.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Nice piece by Mark Nicholas on cricinfo. Lots of us remember the last ball of the 1979 WC final; Richards hitting Hendricks' full toss into the stands. What I had forgotten is Hendricks seaming one back into the pads of the great man at the start of his innings and the umpire for some reason declining a very plumb leg before shout. Anyone wanting to see peak Hendrick could do worse that dig out youtube's highlights of England's semi-final against Pakistan in the same tournament.

On a sort of related matter, those were the days when England included three Derbyshire players. Never happened again, unless I've forgotten about it. And probably never happened before.
The Pakistan match was a group game. Ironically as well as the great bowling spell he also took the match winning catch (off the bowling of Geoff Boycott). He landed awkwardly on his shoulder and the injury never fully went away.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The Pakistan match was a group game. Ironically as well as the great bowling spell he also took the match winning catch (off the bowling of Geoff Boycott). He landed awkwardly on his shoulder and the injury never fully went away.
So it was. Interesting point about the shoulder injury though.