• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Announces Comeback

MrPrez

International Debutant
This thread is hilarious. 'Sign a guy with an ODI average of 45 who was one of the biggest names in recent cricket? Nah, the random T20i's he played in 5-10 years ago didn't go particularly well, no chance he'll adapt.'

Niall

International Coach
The stupidity here is staggering. There is a marked difference between Clarke's skill level and the skill level of some guys getting franchise T20 games. If people think he wouldn't be an asset they're wrong.
Nope. Look at his t20 record, it is crap, both internationally and domestically. Also he did play IPL before and he was garbage, barely able to strike at more than a run a ball.

http://www.iplt20.com/teams/pune-warriors-india/squad/286/Michael-Clarke/

The IPL and Big Bash are doing fantastically well, I doubt they will be kicking the door down for him and even if they are silly enough to sign a proven failure in the format, he will barely get a game.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Context, people. His last T20i was in 2010. He's a class cricketer; it's highly unlikely he couldn't adapt to T20 cricket if he particularly focused upon it now.

Niall

International Coach
Context, people. His last T20i was in 2010. He's a class cricketer; it's highly unlikely he couldn't adapt to T20 cricket if he particularly focused upon it now.
What about the time he stunk it out for Pune a few years ago?

You can't just click on t20 cricket like that, its a bloody tough format to master no matter what the purists suggest.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Be interesting to see how he comes back; he made a lot of changes to his style over time, became a bit more bottom hand dominant - helped him in Test cricket, but made him a bit more limited, and didn't really have the natural bat flow of when he was a youngster.

A lot of that might also have been related to his back too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Brisbane Heat really could have used Clarke last tournament. Clarke has been one of the best bats in the world at rotating the strike and that would have been great batting with Lynn.

The 6ers would have welcomed him too with Henriques out and Maddinson and Haddin missing games during the tournament it meant they were often a batter light.

Clarke isn't going to be player of the tournament but he certainly is capable of gaining one of the 120 or spots that are available.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah if the stars didn't take him back I'm sure the Sixers would take a look, if not the Thunder

Gob

International Coach
Mic can definitely turn him self in to a decent t20 bat imo. Best role for him in t20 cricket would be an opener like Usman. Not a power hitter but still has shots all around the ground and can be very effective in fielding restrictions

Would do well if he can channel his younger self. Micheal Clarke of 22 years old would have been an awesome t20 player

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Meeeeh. Beyond T20I and the IPL did he even play any t20 matches?

He's clearly not going to be the best on the world but to count Clarke out as a player if he took the format seriously at the BBL or IPL level is silly. He's a top class player and there is every chance he could adapt.
Clarke's T20 career outwith internationals is something like 9 games for Hampshire in 2004.

91Jmay

International Coach
This thread is hilarious. 'Sign a guy with an ODI average of 45 who was one of the biggest names in recent cricket? Nah, the random T20i's he played in 5-10 years ago didn't go particularly well, no chance he'll adapt.'
You're right, why bother look at any evidence just consider a totally different format of the game which hasn't shown itself to be a predictor of success. Laughable concept.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You're right, why bother look at any evidence just consider a totally different format of the game which hasn't shown itself to be a predictor of success. Laughable concept.
What's laughable is people looking at a handful of games played in one format by an elite batsman (ATG) where he didn't do incredibly well and then concluding from that he wouldn't possibly be an asset in that format.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

91Jmay

International Coach
He might be worth a spot, he'd be one of the bottom tier players but sure maybe he'd be worth a spot. However would he be worth the exorbitant $ he'd be paid for that slot? Absolutely not.

Spark

Global Moderator
He might be worth a spot, he'd be one of the bottom tier players but sure maybe he'd be worth a spot. However would he be worth the exorbitant $ he'd be paid for that slot? Absolutely not.
money isn't a great argument because he'd almost certainly be a moneymaker due to the whole marketing thing