• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Bewan

Jayro

U19 12th Man
He is never mentioned as an excellent leave alone a great in the longer version of the game when he would easily be counted in most peoples top 5 all time best ODI batsman, but when you see his first class average in Australia you wonder how a weak player of short bowling can maintain such a high batting average in the most gruesome and competitive first class leage of his era? What do you think was he just plain unlucky to not receive enough chances or just couldn't step it up really

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised that notedly better than Michael Bewan left-arm spinner Daniel Wettori hasn't got a mention

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
To not be a dick for a moment and answer the question, I think most people imagine Bevan would have averaged a fair bit higher than 29 in test cricket if selected at the right time and given long enough at it. But it was a time when there was huge competition for spots in the Aus side, so he wasn't. Also that test cricket exposed some holes in his game (fast short bowling? others can correct me) so he would never have been as good a test batsman as he was in ODIs.

Gob

International Coach
To not be a dick for a moment and answer the question, I think most people imagine Bevan would have averaged a fair bit higher than 29 in test cricket if selected at the right time and given long enough at it. But it was a time when there was huge competition for spots in the Aus side, so he wasn't. Also that test cricket exposed some holes in his game (fast short bowling? others can correct me) so he would never have been as good a test batsman as he was in ODIs.
Short pitch stuff were blown out of proportion really.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/fea...ox-michael-de-venuto-george-bailey/2020-10-04

Interesting read. This part below in particular cracked me up

Bevan was in his first season at the Tigers, having been enticed to make the move from Sydney by the promise of a part-time assistant coach role to complement his position as a player.

And he was in spectacular form. Against a Blues attack featuring five Test bowlers, he had cruised to his seventh century of the Shield season, equalling a record he would break a week later.

"They bowled another short one to him and he hit it to the fence for four again," Di Venuto tells cricket.com.au.

"We met mid-wicket, and he looked at me, shaking his head, and said something like: 'What are they thinking bowling there to The Bevster?'

"I was just in stitches. It was the last thing I was expecting - he was generally so serious."